FECES COMING OUT OF THE SIDES OF THE STOMA? SOMEONE HELP

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
janette

FECES COMING OUT OF THE SIDES OF THE STOMA? SOMEONE HELP

Postby janette » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:01 am

Hi my mom had her colon and part rectum removed, and now has the bag. She swears feces is coming out of the sided of the stoma, and the skin is getting very irritated. She even sais it seems like the side is getting larger. She has had a couple times where the bag has had blood in it. The doctors dont seem to think much, and i dont understand that??? The area is very raw, and painful, and like i said she thinks feces is coming out of the sides. can anyone give me some info, or experiences they have had. Thansk so much to everyone. This has been such a battle, and it seems like sometimes the dictors dont care

Mali

Postby Mali » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:17 am

I'm sorry to read your latest news Janette. Unfortunately I have nothing constructive that is specific to your Mum's problem to say.

I can only share your exasperation at the feeling that the doctors do not share our anxieties sometimes in what to us are very real and worrying concerns.

It may be an idea to ask another doctor, perhaps a GP, or somebody else at the centre where your Mum is receiving treatment. Is there a nurse who will perhaps have a different take on this?

I hope you are successful in getting a more understanding and sympathetic ear to listen to your concerns.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Let us know any developments. (Why is it that only patients come to this site or those who have loved ones who are affected? It would be refreshing to see a few doctors, oncologists, consultant surgeons visiting. They may well surprise themselves and learn a lot. Yes, they are busy people, but a few visits wouldn't cost too much time.)

For now, all the best and let us know how your Mum goes.

Mali

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:18 pm

Janette,

this could be possible, there are times when the bag doesnt seal down properly, and if it gets too full the weight can force it to open up on the side, where it can escape from. It has happened to me on a couple of occasions. Your mom needs to make sure the area is completely dry and grease free when applying the bag. The stoma also has to sit perfectly within the hole of the bag. Otherwise it can seep on the skin and cause it to go sore. Quick question when did she have the op??? dont forget the stoma shrinks down after a few weeks meaning the hole (template) would need re-cutting.

Dont know if ive been much help

Regards

Nick

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”