First Time Colonoscopy :(

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ChefCC

Re: First Time Colonoscopy :(

Postby ChefCC » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:15 am

Tomorrow is prep day and not nervous anymore but more ready. Thanks everyone for your support it has truly helped. I will let everyone know how everything goes. Hopefully the medical mystery will be solved!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 am

Good luck and don't sweat it.

Make sure that the person who takes you in listens carefully to what the doctor tells you after the procedure is done. You may not remember, and it is important that whatever he/she says is understood by your partner and accurately explained to you later. Don't hesitate to call back the next day if there's anything you aren't clear on.

Hopefully the message will be: "Looks good; see you in five years."
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Remember, throughout the liquid diet, drink a lot of clear fluids and often! Hope all goes well! Good luck!
45 Years Old
MYH Associated Polyposis (MAP)
Prophylactic Subtotal Colectomy 4/21/09
Uterine Cancer May 2011 (? Lynch Syndrome overlap)
Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy 5/16/11
NED
Still growing colon polyps. Hoping to prevent colon cancer.

ChefCC

Postby ChefCC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 pm

It is 3 o'clock now and I am starting prep. I start my Miralax/Gatorade at 5.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Good luck, Chef. We're all rooting for you. As we've said, the prep is the hardest part; the procedure no big deal for most people.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

ChefCC

Postby ChefCC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:48 pm

I have one more 8 oz glass left and no need for the toilet yet. My body likes to take its time. It does not seem like alot to drink until the last two glasses but just makes me a bit gassy.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:44 am

I hope it went well for Chef. Wish he'd let us know.
Eric, 58

lisab3897

Postby lisab3897 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:10 pm

chefcc.....how did everything go??????

FAP

Postby FAP » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:42 pm

The sedation usually insisted upon for colonoscopy is dangerous and unecessary. Only in the USA do they insist on amnesia drugs so that the exam can be done roughly and quickly. An unsedated patient will never have his/her colon perforated; you will feel the pressure and tell the doc. Docs in the US don;t want to take the extra time to do an unsedated exam; it's perfectly comfortable and you don't get the chemical lobotomy from Versed or the like. Check out askapatient.com for many Versed horror stories.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:04 pm

Dear FAP,

I am very concerned about your comment. Although it is true that, for most people, the sedation/painkiller mix used here in the U.S. (typically versad + demerol or fentanyl) is not absolutely necessary to do a colonoscopy, it is a vast and scary generalization to say that this is "dangerous and unnecesary" and that doctors insist on drugs only so that they can do exams "roughly and quickly." That said, I do think that many people just grab the drugs without truly considering the potential side effects and problems, which I don’t think is a good way to do things.

I do know numerous people (my mom is one of them) who routinely do colonoscopies without any drugs at all (either sedation or painkiller), and their docs have never insisted that they use drugs. Although most patients do prefer to have the sedation (I've noticed the doc sometimes raises his or her eyebrows when you say you don’t want drugs), doctors often insist on sedation for other, very good, reasons.

There are physical and safety reasons for using sedation - your colon has a bunch of muscles down there, and probing it with a scope can cause involuntary muscle reactions. Think of it in the same way that if someone hits you, you flinch - not because you want to, but because you have an involuntary reaction. Even if someone doesn't ever touch you but just walks up unannounced, you might be physically startled. If your colon "flinches" or is "startled" during a colonoscopy, it has a tendency to clinch up and/or become restricted, and that can increase the chance of perforation. By sedating your muscles, it actually decreases the chance of this kind of thing happening. Saying that an unsedated patient will “never” have his/her colon perforated is simply incorrect - it can and does happen to every type of patients, sedated and unsedated. Perforation is uncommon during a colonoscopy, but an important possible complication to keep in mind - and to be accurately informed about.

I also disagree that doctors insist on sedating patients simply so that they can do a rough, quick exam. The length of the exam depends on so many factors, and it can actually take less time, not more, to perform a colonoscopy with an unsedated patient – it depends a lot more on the patient and what is going on in the colon than whether a patient is sedated or not.

I’m quite sure that it is true that some doctors prefer to do the exam on patients receiving sedation (in the same way some oral surgeons prefer patients to be "under" to have their wisdom teeth removed) - but if you are uncomfortable with that and want sedation, find a doctor who will do it without if yours won’t. Most will not only understand your concerns, but will be very happy to do it either way. I think most doctors are simply used to giving sedation and don’t necessarily think to offer the option without; I don’t think most are trying to ram something down your throat that you don’t want.

However, be prepared that if a doctor expects complications, s/he may strongly suggest (or even require) a patient to have sedation/pain meds. For instance, if you have a history of polyps that need to be removed or if your doc expects to need a biopsy, these extra procedures can cause additional “trauma” to your colon and pain to you, which can mean a physical reaction in your colon whether you mean to do it or not. And this is something that can cause a level of discomfort or pain that patients do not want.

I think you are treading on very shaky ground here to suggest that being sedated is "dangerous and unnecessary." That is not true for many, many people - and should be their choice. Some people need actual anesthesia rather than just sedation (for instance my best friend who has Crohn's and can expect complications during every colonoscopy such as scarring, adhesions, multiple biopsies, etc.) - and anesthesia can also be safer than performing a procedure with no drugs at all.

To me, the bottom line is that I think that patients should have the choice of whether to be sedated or not during a colonoscopy, if it is safe given their situation. I believe everyone should be educated about all of their options and potential side effects of any choice. If you are educated about all of these issues and choose to not use drugs, that is your choice - but it is not everyone's, and that is okay, and even preferable, for many people.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

karenM

Postby karenM » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Personally I dont want to be awake while a pipe is pushed through where the sun dont shine.LOL And a little nap is always appreciated :lol:
Colon cancer found Nov 08- stage 3
Surgery Dec 16th 08
in hosp 16th to 23,
28th to 1st of Jan for blockage
port put in Jan 12th
Chemo started Jan 09-
ended July 09
Hospital for a wk in April for bleeding.
As of Aug 09 am NED! Thank GOD!

Lidarose

Postby Lidarose » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 pm

My case was different, as I can't have any of the ordinary preps, due to a reaction with my Peripheral Neuropathy. Therefore, my gastro doc and I worked it out that I would do 2 days of clear liquids which is a breeze for me, and 160 to 180 ML of Milk of Magnesia. Here's how we worked it, for anyone who's interested (btw, he told me that I was quite clear, and he could see just fine):

Colonoscopy scheduled on a Wednesday morning, first thing. Used Cherry Flavored MOM, delicious!

Sunday night: Eat normally and take 2 T MOM before bedtime.

Monday: Start clear liquids and take 2 T MOM before bedtime

Tuesday: Clear liquids and at 1 PM 2 T MOM
Clear liquids and at 2 PM 2 T MOM
Clear liquids and at 6-7 PM 3 T MOM
If not running clear before bedtime (12M), take another 3 T MOM (I ran clear).

NOTHING TO EAT AFTER 12 MIDNIGHT TUESDAY NIGHT

So much nicer than the regular preps, and all that was required during, was to keep drinking plenty of liquids, and Gatorade Icy Fruit Punch (it's totally clear) to keep your electrolites up!

I also used this Prep before my recent right-sided lap colectomy, and my surgeon said it was fine.

One of the great things about it, is absolutely no cramps or nausea!

Spread the word and ask your gastro-docs! :D

Lida

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”