Is chemo the best thing?...Alternatives

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Is chemo the best thing?...Alternatives

Postby klryder02 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:53 pm

Hello All-

I finished my 3rd round of fulfox this week...and started to get a "this stuff is really bad" feeling.

For some reason the whole having a port and getting poison injected into me sounds very unnatural.

After reading the side effects alot of other people on this board are experiencing, my experience has been a breeze (so far), but I can't get this "unnatural" feeling out of my head.

Anyway, I just spent an hour looking up "alternative cancer treatments" on yahoo and didn't find much.

Does anyone have any helpful links or experiences with alternative treatments??

TIA
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

eitter

Re: Is chemo the best thing?...Alternatives

Postby eitter » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:07 am

Hi Tia!

I am new posting here and am post resection and tumor removal. They want to do a "mop up" Chemo like what you are doing. I am Stage 2-3, unsure because my nodes were radiated and were clear, but unsure if they were clear prior to radiation.

Are you also post tumor removal?

I read a story of a rectal cancer surviovor 5 plus years on the CSN web page and she followed a book I just bought and I am reading: Beating Cancer with Nutrition, by Patrick Quillin. I am also researching two supplements IP-6 and Immune FX, I was given 3 bottles of each by a family member. I also went to the Envita center here in Arizona, but that is WAY TO EXPENSIVE.

Just tonight I printed off an article written by Dr. Benson from the NCCN, and he states in this article that if you are Stage 2 Chemo for resected colon cancer, benefits is questionable.

So I am also on a search and I am soaking up the book I mentioned to you, I found it on Amazon.

I think my biggest inspriration is my Dad, a 30 year survivor of colo/rectal, no longer has a colon, been resectioned away over the years and has always refused Chemo and radiation, still alive. Also just had prostate cancer two years ago, refused treatments, just had surgery. He has nine lives!

Let's continue to compare notes.

You can reach me here or at lizitter@cox.net.

Liz
Arizona

missjv

Postby missjv » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:49 pm

hi,
well everyone looks at chemo differently i guess. yes it is nasty stuff and the side effects for some can be unbearable but i consider myself lucky that it is available and i tolerate it well. i am now just getting ready to undergo 5 months of clean up chemo after my liver resection as a precaution in case of microscopic stuff in my blood, luckily i had no lymph involvment and my liver lesions were very small and resectable with clear margins and all visable cancer i had at this moment is gone. yes the port thing is weird but we are lucky chemo is available. good luck with your treatmements.

missjv

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:39 pm

Hi Liz-

I ran across that title when I was internet searching the other night.

I will check it out at Barnes N Nobles this week. I am also going to to look up the supplements you mentioned.

So you haven't started chemo yet??

I actually haven't had any colon surgerys yet. Only a neck lymph node biosey and colonscopy.

Are you considering not starting chemo?

Thanks for all of that info!

-Kelly (TIA=thanks in advance!!!)
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

eitter

Alternative

Postby eitter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:52 am

Hi Kelly!

Yes I have had surgery, two of them. You can read my journey on my website: http://www.runlizrun.com/journey.htm

I have been through the ringer so to say! :)

I have been through two other types of Chemo and radiation prior to surgery. THe Oxiplatium/5FU is what they call a "Mop Up" CHemo. My margins were clear and my nodes(although damaged in radiation, could have been effected prior to radiation), I am a stage 2-3, unclear about the nodes.

I have had two petscans, and no other cancer in my body. I am telling myself I am cancer free, not sure the doctors beleive that.

I just want quality of life and I do not want to damage my body more then it already has been damaged. So I think I am going to pass on the "mop up" chemo and pray for the best and believe I will be a long time Survivor!

Take Care,

Liz :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”