Sex and chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lattemoon

Re: Sex and chemo

Postby Lattemoon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 pm

I see you are all enjoying my sex topic. Yay!!! At least talking about it is fun, right?

Actually, it's my husband on the chemo, 5-FU only at this time, and he's on a constant infusion pump that he wears like a purse. And there is no pregnancy concern for us....we're too old and also I don't have the necessary uterus, etc.

They did tell us to use a condom, but I guess I'm just being stubborn or stupid and thinking.....why? If he is on chemo, why should I worry about a chance of absorbing a little of it from him once in a blue moon?

I don't know; maybe I'm in denial.
Significant Other to John
Diagnosed with colon cancer
05/09, age 51
Rt hemicolectomy
5 wks 5-FU and radiation
FOLFOX currently attempting 12 treatments

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:17 pm

When I was on Folfox I was told to flush the toilet twice and keep the lid down. Sex wasn't an issue since I felt too crappy for that. I've been finished with chemo for over two weeks and my sex drive is practically non existent. :oops: Between the constant pooping and the fatigue...I just can't get excited about sex...hopefully this will change eventually. :roll:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Lattemoon wrote:I see you are all enjoying my sex topic. Yay!!! At least talking about it is fun, right?
Actually, it's my husband on the chemo, 5-FU only at this time, and he's on a constant infusion pump that he wears like a purse. And there is no pregnancy concern for us....we're too old and also I don't have the necessary uterus, etc.
They did tell us to use a condom, but I guess I'm just being stubborn or stupid and thinking.....why? If he is on chemo, why should I worry about a chance of absorbing a little of it from him once in a blue moon?
I don't know; maybe I'm in denial.

Lattemoon, there is definitely more risk to the receiving partner if the partner on chemo is male--usually men produce more fluids during sex than women, and while membrane to membrane contact is a risk, there is a higher risk from fluid absorption and fluid contact. If you're the receiving partner, you're at risk--not of catching cancer, but of exposure to the chemicals and their side effects.

RE: 'They did tell us to use a condom, but...why? if he is on chemo, why should I worry about a chnace of absorbing a little of it from him?'

It's poison. Each of us reacts to it differently, and for some of us, only a very small amount in mg/meter-squared is enough to put us in the bathroom for a couple hours or more.
Docs don't give patients (and their families and sexual partners) advice just for the heck of saying the words out loud. Warnings exist because partners are affected, and not in a good way, by absorbing the chemo chemicals during sex. If your husband is on continuous 5FU, then you're at risk.

Would you be equally resistant to this if he had a contagious disease that could be transmitted to you during sex?
No?
Then go buy some condoms! You're not going to catch cancer, but you could get sick from the chemo. And you can't help him if you get sick, too.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

TerryM

Postby TerryM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:13 pm

For some reason it won't let me log in?

Anyway, while you cannot catch cancer (which I totally agree), chemo drugs can and have caused other cancers to pop up in people receiving it. Not to say that by having sex you'll get enough to cause that to happen, but do we know that for sure? That's my husbands biggest fear. No actually, his biggest fear is if we have sex without a condom is that his you know what will fall off:) LOL! MEN!

Terry

Lattemoon

Postby Lattemoon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Consider me chastised. And thank you, Gaelen, for the very firm response, which is what I needed. So, if you think I haven't already exposed myself beyond repair in these two episodes, I'm going to clean up my act. And I'm not trying to sound flip; I'm serious. I have OCD and I've already been wondering if it's too late for me, seriously. You guys are great.
05/09, age 51
Rt hemicolectomy
5 wks 5-FU and radiation

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:52 pm

It's never to late!:)
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Don't worry, Lattemoon! I would guess that part of this has to be is that it's very, very difficult to deal with the fact that life isn't the way it used to be. You want to find the parts of both of your lives that you can keep "normal" without cancer invading them. It would be pretty darn nice if at least sex was off limits to cancer!

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:13 pm

And I meant to say no, I definitely don't think you've exposed yourself too much. Using a condom is more of a precaution for "what if" rather than a "definitely going to happen" situation.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:51 am

I'm surprised , lattemom that your husband had the libido on chemo to be interested.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

Lattemoon

Postby Lattemoon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:47 pm

wwroam, I guess I'm so very hot that not even big bad chemo can keep a man away from me!
NOT! I would imagine that it's because he's only been on the chemo for three weeks and I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's only 5-FU. After next week, they will add Leucovorin to the funhouse and he will probably feel worse. He has done pretty well in that he hasn't really manifested yet any symptoms I expected, like nausea. He has been tired and feels "weird", but until this past Monday that was all. Then he got sores in his mouth and NOSE!!! The doc told us today that we should put bricks under our mattress so he wouldn't get reflux at night. They took him off the pump from Monday until today, then restarted it today. Thankfully, because of the delay, our weekly appointment is now on Wednesdays!! That's great, because we have been having to wait two or more hours in the waiting room on Mondays, then another hour to get the pump refilled after having blood drawn and seeing the doctor.

I think you guys are right; I just want something to be normal, and I hate to make him feel even worse by bringing up the subject of the condom, but I will.

You guys have come to mean a great deal to me in even this short time. The Colon Club message board is definitely a soft place to fall.
05/09, age 51
Rt hemicolectomy
5 wks 5-FU and radiation

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Lattemoon, you must be. Don't underestimate the effects of 5FU, its a potent chemo even though its been around for ever, and flies under the radar for side effects. Please excuse my hobby horse but make sure that your husband has adequate sun protection when going out into the light ( including sunglasses). 5FU increases sun sensitivity dramatically and some of the long term effects are not pretty ( see the retina thread).
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

Brendaindy
Facebook Username: Brenda Coleman

Postby Brendaindy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Hmm, no one ever talked to me about using condom's or any thing. Then again who the heck wants sex anyway during Chemo week. lol

Im just now starting to have very cautious sex almost a year after completing Radiation and it screwed me up. Still some pain in a few places but its all about the position.

Good topic
Stage II Rectal dx 5/08
Radiation and Chemo
LAR w/Ileo & J Pouch 10/20/08
Finished Folfox 5/4/09
CT showed NED!
Illeo reversal 7/31/09
so far... so good....

amvandelay

Postby amvandelay » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:29 pm

What if your partner is on a different type of chemo. Has that been discussed?

Shawn
Shawn Felty
Diagnosed stage IV colon cancer December 2007
Bowel and liver resections
Remission July 2008-June 2009.
Back on chemo due to nodules in liver and lungs...
Colondar Model 2010

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:25 pm

The chemo doesn't matter they only get worse. It's just not worth taking a chance. I do think it's probably worse for a woman not being protected if the man is on the chemo because of more fluids but I still wouldn't take any uneccessary chances.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:19 am

I maintained my sex drive during chemo (oral Xeloda), but the radiation made it pretty painful. As in volcanic. Once my wife figured that out, she didn't want to be responsible for me "suffering." Compassionate soul that she is. But she's not a guy, so she really didn't understand that when it comes to filling basic needs, pain is irrelevant.

My libido disappeared shortly after I checked into the hospital for my LAR. It was gone for a good three weeks. Tragic. I was working with severely diminished cognitive capacity as a result. Something like 80 percent of my normal mental spectrum was suddenly gone. Poof! Fortunately, it came back eventually. What a relief. That's when I knew I was recovering.

The illeo bag has been an impediment for me. But it should be gone in less than two weeks. Then, look out!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”