Has anyone ever had their CEA rise then fall on its own?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
J.T.

Has anyone ever had their CEA rise then fall on its own?

Postby J.T. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:08 pm

I'm in remission but my cea has been rising and is now at 8.2. I'm going to have a scan soon to see what going on. Since it has been rising the fast few times it was checked i'm convinced that it is from a recurrence of CC but is there is a chance that its nothing. Is it even possible to show a pattern of going up and be nothing, and then go back down. Has anyone ever had it rise like this then had clear scan and have it fall back to normal? I guess i'll know more after my scan.

J.T.

John603

Re: Has anyone ever had their CEA rise then fall on its own?

Postby John603 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:22 am

JT,

In late 2007/early 2008 my CEA went down on its own, but I had a recurrence. The first test came back at 11. The next was 9.6. and then finally 8.6 before treatment. I attribute the decline to changing my diet and exercising more.
My oncologist's rule of thumb is above 10 something is definitely going on, between 5 and 10 something might be going on, and below 5 takes multiple tests to see what the trend is.
John

Dx Stage IIIC (14 of 36 LNs +) Jan 07, age 42
Colectomy Jan 07
Folfox + Erb'x Mar 07
Recurrence in Lymph Nodes Feb 08
Folfiri + Avastin Apr 08
NED Dec 08
Recurrence in lungs & pelvic LNs May 09
Folfiri/Avastin May 09 - Nov 09
Erb'x/Irino Dec 09

mardrobe

Postby mardrobe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:09 am

After surgery to reverse Linda's Illiostomy her CEA rose up tp 16.5 over several months. She was still having chemotherapy at this time and it had caused damage to her liver. After she went off therapy it slowly dropped over several years back to the normal range. She had multiple scans during that period which remained normal. There is a high likely hood of recurrence when it goes that high but it can happen for other causes.

Wendy21

Postby Wendy21 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:46 pm

When dxd my CEA was 4.0. After surgery it was 2.0. When I started chemo, my CEA began to rise. Over 3 momnths it went to 6.9 and my onc ordered full scans, PET and CT which found nothing. Slowly, the CEA fell again to around 2.0 where it has remained for the past 3 years. THis NOV will be 4 years since dx. I envy people with the 0 CEA or the "less than 0", but my onc says I'm ok.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”