28 and just resected!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Anthony

28 and just resected!

Postby Anthony » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:28 pm

Greetings Everyone.

Any feedback for a 28 year old who is about to start Folfox?

best wishes,

Anthony

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Hey Anthony-

I didn't do Fulfox...only got the 5-FU & Leucovoran...but I can tell you the two things that kept me going were jokes and hydration!

Keep smiling, no matter what gets thrown at you. Someone's always got it worse. Besides, if you smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to!

As for the hydration, water started tasting gross to me, but chemo stinks to begin with. When you're dehydrated it's 1000 times worse! Stock your cupboards with Gatorade and flavored water...and steer clear of alcohol, coffee (my favorite!!!) and soda if you can. Those just dehydrate you more and make it worse.

...and keep checking in to these message boards. There are lots of other places too. Meeting young people like myself was the best thing that ever happened to me. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

BIG HUG!!!

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:55 pm

Hi Anthony,

I'm 32 and have completed one round of Folfox6. I'd agree totally with Molly about the hydration bit. I don't know about you, but at 135 pounds, I have to also force myself to eat. Mostly, folfox just made me a little more tired than usual. I had a tiny bit of nausea and some constipation. But with just one treatment under my belt, I don't have any real sound advice, but any time you want to share stories, just let me know. Good luck to you.

Chet
Chet

Christine

Postby Christine » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Hi Anthony. I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to reply because we're in the same situation. I'm also 28 and starting Folfox on December 5th. I had my portocatheter implanted yesterday. Today I'm really sore. Feel free to email me if you need to talk. My email in is my profile.

Christine

Billy

advice

Postby Billy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:30 pm

Anthony,

Just some general chemo advice. As has been pointed out, hydration is key. I should have bought stock in Gatorade!! Eat when you can. Take whatever meds they give you for the nausea. And keep an eye on your portacath, I had a little issue with mine where it wrapped around the vein. Keep your spirits up, anyway you can. The people at the Colon Club can help with that.

Good Luck,

Billy

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:32 pm

1. sweet foods may nauseate you- bananas, rice, potatoes and applesauce, bread-basically bland foods are sometimes easier to digest during chemo. Avoiding strong cooking odors may also help.

2 Sunsweet dried plums-are effective in preventing constipation

3. Find something relaxing to do which will take minimal effort, but will distract you from chemo side affects-drawing, listening to music, visualization

Stay optomistic during your treatments, but don't be hard on yourself, since we are all human :)

AnthonyK

Thank you Molly, Chet, Christine, & Billy

Postby AnthonyK » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi Molly, Chet, Christine, & Billy

Thank you for your support and for being here. I will be in touch soon and will keep you updated about what's going on.

warmly,

Anthony K.

Molly wrote:Hey Anthony-

I didn't do Fulfox...only got the 5-FU & Leucovoran...but I can tell you the two things that kept me going were jokes and hydration!

Keep smiling, no matter what gets thrown at you. Someone's always got it worse. Besides, if you smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to!

As for the hydration, water started tasting gross to me, but chemo stinks to begin with. When you're dehydrated it's 1000 times worse! Stock your cupboards with Gatorade and flavored water...and steer clear of alcohol, coffee (my favorite!!!) and soda if you can. Those just dehydrate you more and make it worse.

...and keep checking in to these message boards. There are lots of other places too. Meeting young people like myself was the best thing that ever happened to me. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

BIG HUG!!!

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:29 pm

Anthony, my name is Brad. I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer 6 months ago. I was 27 at the time of the diagnosis. My chemo is similiar to yours, I take 5-fu, leukovorin, Camptosar and Avastin. Tomorrow is my 11th treatment of the 12 that I'm scheduled for. Like everyone says eating is important and so is staying hydrated, but the most valuable piece of advice I can give is to keep a positive attitude. Cancer is now a part of your life and it will always be, but remember it is only a part of your life. Keep living, do whatever your body will let you do. Good luck with your treatment.

Brad

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”