Very thankful to have found Colon Club (long intro, sorry!)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SlobberDog

Very thankful to have found Colon Club (long intro, sorry!)

Postby SlobberDog » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Hello, I am new here. I am VERY happy to have found this website and forum, as there seems to be no other place to discuss/vent about issues involving words like "colon", "rectal" or "diarrhea!"

I'm barely 39, married female (no kids) and have microscopic colitis (as opposed to ulcerative) and was Dx with that about 4 years ago via c-scope. I had my first scope when I was 24, after having bouts of non-stop diarrhea. Back then I was told I had IBS and that was about it... not very helpful. My father died at age 53 of metastatic colon cancer; he was Dx at age 48. I started learning about this evil disease back then, when I was in college. (I was 23 when he died.) His mother died of stomach/GI cancer in her early 50's right after I was born. I think the docs blamed part of "my" problems on stress, from losing my dad... which certainly could have made sense.

I've had I think 8-9 c-scopes over all this time, and will have my next one on January 12th. I guess this is the only safe place to even admit such a thing, but I haven't had a "solid" crap in well over a year. I had a scope in 10/05 and had no polyps, but the biopsies showed the chronic inflammation and "microscopic colitis." Basically my GI doc said I will just have to live with this. He believes I probably ALSO have IBS in addition to the colitis. Oh joy.

I saw him most recently in August of this year and took a course of some new drug (antibiotic) just for kicks, but it did not help. The only thing I've been taking "routinely" is a Tincture of Opium liquid, 3-6 drops 3-4x/day... sometimes it helps slow the diarrhea but usually not. Not lately anyway. The diarrhea is relentless and constant, no matter what I eat. If I eat crappy junk food, I have diarrhea. If I eat totally "clean" with no sugar, no white flour, no caffeine, no processed foods (etc)... I still have diarrhea. Lately I have the "Big D" 5-6 times a day on a good day. A bad day is 10+ times... or any day that the urgency is so bad I don't make it to the toilet. I suspect you guys here know what that is like. Lately the urgency has been worse and pretty embarassing.

Last summer I also had the great luck to have some breast lump issues and wound up having 4 breast biopsies from May-October. I'd also had those in the past too... but all have been benign. But now I was sent to a "high risk" breast cancer clinic, where they taught me that there is a proven genetic "link" of some kind between breast cancer and colon... and while I am not considered at risk for the breast cancer "gene" of BRCA, they said that I am at risk of having the HNPCC gene, so they drew the blood for that. (My GI doc had never suggested this!) We are still waiting on the results from that test, which will probably be several more weeks. Actually we still don't know how much (if at all, god forbid) our insurance co. will help pay for that $2K test. But I think we (my husband and I) probably need to know... if I have the colon cancer gene, then that will affect my various tests, etc - obviously. And since I am sort of a control freak, the truth is that I would rather "know" than "not know"... so that it's my choice to do things, or not. Does that make any sense at all?

Anyway, I don't look forward to my c-scope on 1/12, but at least I fully know what to expect, having had so many. I will have the lovely and fabulous Visicol pills (gag!) but I still prefer those salty nasty things over the liquid jugs of torture. haha. And you all are correct in describing the sedation... I don't mind THAT a bit. I actually love those few seconds of all warm "swirliness" right before I am "out"... :)

Thank you for reading this ridiculously long intro, and if anyone has experience with the HNPCC testing process or "family history" stuff, etc - that would be great. Again, I am just happy to have found a helpful place to learn more and discuss these lovely topics.

-Michelle

janb

Postby janb » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:30 pm

There is a subject on Ischemic Colitis that I posted about a year ago. I recently received a reply from Holly at the Colon Club. There are some links to information on that and it sounds similar to what my daughter has. She is 31 and has come close to her colon being removed. Look on page 2 Ischemic Colitis Information.AND
Welcome to the colon club!
:D
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:05 am

Hi Michelle,
I have a long involved history with irritable bowel and now a long and involved history with colon cancer. The only thing to give me any relief from the trotts has been Buscopan (also sold as donnatabs in Australia) It had remarkable results for me during chemo and pretty well saved my bacon. Don't envy you with the scope ,had mine last week ,the eighth in nine years. I'm the opposite though I get them to back off on the happy juice and stay awake for the procedure. My GI would make a great tour guide. I watched as she lassoed and burned off two new polyps. My brother suffers severe ulcerative colitis and has a scope every second year .They often treat his condition with prednisone and salzopryosan. Hope your scope goes ok and I hope your condition stabalises,Merry Christmas ,Ron.

SlobberDog

Thanks for the info!

Postby SlobberDog » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:25 pm

janb wrote:There is a subject on Ischemic Colitis that I posted about a year ago. I recently received a reply from Holly at the Colon Club.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks JanB (and Holly) for that information. I can't believe that after 14+ years of dealing with diarrhea (etc) that NO doctor ever mentioned this phrase. I read the whole article Holly posted and did a quick google search on Ischemic Colitis as well, and I actually do have several of those "symptoms" and "risk factors." I've had low blood pressure my entire adult life... nurses always tell me it's a good thing. :?: I also have had what I thought were excessive bouts with flu (3 times in 5 months, last year) which made me wonder about my succeptibility (sp?) to infections, though at the time I just wrote it off to stress, or bad luck, haha.

I will mention this to my GI guy when I see him for the scope. There has to be some define-able reason (and hopefully treat-able) that my colon is screwed up like it is... why food goes through me so quickly (I've had a couple of those barium x-ray series things for upper GI and the "travel time" was much faster than "normal") and why my colon isn't absorbing liquid (etc) like it's supposed to.

JanB, has your daughter found anything to ease her symptoms? Does she follow any special kind of diet?

Again, I am thankful to have found a place where it's "safe" to discuss such issues. There are so many friendly and "open" places online to discuss breast lumps or breast disease/cancer, but very few people seem able to discuss issues involving "down there"... if you know what I mean.

While I was writing this, our mail came for the day with my prep instructions for the 12th... he sent a script for a new kind of pill instead of Visicol... this is called "OsmoPrep"... I presume it's nearly the same as the nasty Visicol (and surely has the same results) but has anyone had "OsmoPrep?"

Take care and happy holidays!
Michelle

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:28 pm

>> I'm the opposite though I get them to back off on the happy juice and stay awake for the procedure<<

I've only had one scope so far, my happy 50th birthday screening scope, and I asked to be a bit awake so I could watch. I was a bit surprised to find myself waking up halfway through the proceedure. When it was over my doc told me he'd "seen something he didn't like". I guess he drugged me up a bit so I wouldn't see it. I'm a former oncology nurse and would have recognized it right away. It was a nasty little mass. It came as a surprize to everyone. Aside from a long history of IBS, I had no symptoms. My IBS was actually getting better.

I'm due for another scope in the Spring. I had sedation for my Mediport insertion and removal, and for some other minor surgeries unrelated to my cancer. The stuff really works. I can't believe how calm I was through all of this. Maybe I'll get to watch the next scope.

SlobberDog

Postby SlobberDog » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:45 pm

The "science geek" part of me would love to be awake and watch the video, but the chicken-sh*t in me wants to see and know "nothing!"

A few years ago, before I had my current GI doctor, I went to a new GI guy that was recommended by some clients of mine (the clients are doctors themselves, so I trusted them.) This particular GI did a c-scope that was a living nightmare. I was awake and in horrible pain during the scope, actually crying for them to PLEASE JUST STOP. I remember the doctor kept telling me to "calm down" (yeah right you a-hole) and a nurse was reaching around me, pressing down hard on my lower stomach area. Evidently the scope tube wasn't making all the "turns" very easily in my colon and that caused spasms and the pain... or something. Later in my follow-up office appt I asked about the (horrific procedure) and the GI guy blew me off, saying that they had given me the "maximum" sedation for my weight, yada yada yada. Needless to say, I "fired" him and never went back.

Once I saw my new (and current) GI guy and explained how afraid I was, he promised me that I would never have any pain at all... and I've had 3 scopes in the last years with him, pain-free. But the fear of that one time still lingers in my brain, and thus I would rather be totally "out" for the actual procedure. What I do wish is that they could burn the video to a DVD, not only for their own records but for the patient to view, if we choose to do so. Oh well... maybe in the future! For now, I still opt to be totally warm and fuzzy and out of it. :wink:

Michelle

janb

Postby janb » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:44 pm

My daughters member name is Fitzgeraldmom. Drop her an email and the two of you can chat about your BUMmer experiences. Glad you found the colon club.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:00 pm

Hey MIchelle-

I just heard about OsmoPrep yesterday from a friend who is a rep for them. I haven't used it myself, but did try Visicol. It was kinda rough, to be honest. Pills were HUGE (I cut them in half and still had stouble swallowing them.) and I had to take 40 of them...20 the night before and 20 the morning of. If I remember correctly (it was 3 years ago and I'm due for my next scope pretty soon here), it was 3 pills every 15 minutes until 20 were gone and then repeat in the morning. That meant that it took an hour and half to down all the pills, which would have been all well and good if my scope wasn't scheduled for 7:30am. (I had to get up at 3 am and do my 2nd batch of 20 until 4:30am. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much.) You have to drink a LOT of liquid to stay hydrated...and I can tell you that it will fill you up something fierce. I did my 2nd batch of 20 with just water instead of juice...and can tell you with certainty that when they come back up (and yes, mine came back up) they taste just like the salty drink prep going down...so be careful.

All that said, my friend (the rep) says that they've made some good improvements with the new stuff. She said there are 32 pills now, instead of 40, and that they're a bit smaller.

If that's the prep you use, please let us know how it goes...and don't make the mistake of making your scope appointment too early in the morning if there is a morning prep!!!

Good luck!

SlobberDog

Postby SlobberDog » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:26 pm

Molly wrote:I just heard about OsmoPrep yesterday from a friend who is a rep for them. I haven't used it myself, but did try Visicol.

Thanks for the replies. Molly, I used the Visicol pills I think 3 times... at least the last 2 scopes. Those pills were so gigantic, and the instant they touch your tongue you get that very nasty salty-soapy taste (at least that's how I describe it.) And you are right... by the time you reach the end of the prep (any prep, really) you feel so damn "full" that it's pretty disgusting. :x

My scope is scheduled to begin at 7:30am, and we have a 6:30am check in time. Yes, that is pretty damn early... ESPECIALLY because we live 70 miles from the hospital... we'll have to leave here no later than 5:30am. I dread the morning already... but hey, we will beat the rush hour traffic, right? I suspect we'll have to be awake by 4 or so, because of my job (which involves dogs, so it's a 365-day a year job) - so either my husband or I will have to "work" for an hour or so that morning, before we are able to leave our house. Of course if this is anything like the last few times, I won't sleep much anyway, thanks to all the trips down the hall to the throne!

My instructions for the OsmoPrep indicate a total of 32 tablets... UGH. My stomach is clenching right now just thinking about it. Taking 4 at a time, beginning at 5pm the night before at 15 min. intervals until the 6pm dose. Then a break until 9pm, with pills then and at 9:15 and 9:30. With of course the "clear liquids" only diet that whole day.

I do have to tell you all about the funny time we had (funny in hindsight only) when I had a scope in July 04. We had a horrible thunderstorm the night of my prep and our electricity went out around 8pm, as I was doing the prep. This was annoying but not horrible... we had flashlights and candles, though I was worried about oversleeping in the morning without a real alarm clock (we were going to use a sports watch's alarm). BUT the real problem came when the toilet ceased to FLUSH... because we have an electric water pump. This was around 8:30 or 9pm and I was in "full flush mode" if you get my drift, and was about to rip someone's head off. Fortunately the power did come back on around midnight and we were OK... and the nursing staff and doctor all thought it was freakin' hilarious when we told them the next morning. At least with this being in January, a thunderstorm is highly unlikely... now as long as we don't have a vicious snow or ice storm. Fingers crossed :roll: .

Michelle

ps - JanB, I'll look up your daughter for sure!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:15 am

Michelle,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

Thank you for your kind words and you are welcome. It is my hope that through this forum you find encouragement, inspiration and love as I have over the past year!

Good luck with the colonoscopy. I underwent my 11th a couple weeks ago and will have my 12th in March 2007. For the 11th scope, the surgeon tatooed my colon. Any chance I will get the 12th one for free?

Holly

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:13 pm

A sobering note,
I had my scope two weeks ago and they removed two polyps,both were only two mm. I got the biopsy results this week. One of the polyps showed signs of changes within the cells.Not yet cancer but definitely pre-cancerous. With scopes two years apart it sure leaves you with the chilling thought "what if they miss one?" Fortunately I have a very careful GI but it puts a bit of perspective into the life and times of the average cancer survivor and explains why we get nervous even after nine years,Ron.

SlobberDog

Postby SlobberDog » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:49 pm

Wow, Ron. Thank heavens those "little" devils were caught now and not later... very chilling thought, indeed. I hope you are feeling well now and had a good Christmas. Even with this finding, will your next scope be in 2 years, as opposed to sooner?

Holly, thank you for the warm welcome. Do you have scopes every 3 months then? I think you should make up one of those punch card things like you can use at a sandwich shop (Subway, etc)... get 11 stamps or punches on your "card," get your 12th scope free... what a deal!

Personally I think I should get a referral bonus for sending my mom to my GI guy when she got her scope... sign us up for the "Family Plan", haha.

On a quick side note, the Do-It-Yourself Colonoscopy Kit that I made and gave my sister for Christmas was hysterical... we were all in tears with laughter. But until she calls the dr. and gets her first scope scheduled, I'll keep on with the reminding and nagging. That and I'm going to send her the links to the You Tube movies and website by "Tim" from this site... maybe after she sees those incredibly personal and moving videos she will get her butt in gear (pun intended).

Happy New Year-
Michelle

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”