Husband dx in 2003 Stage 3 - Still surviving stage 4

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Peteswife

Husband dx in 2003 Stage 3 - Still surviving stage 4

Postby Peteswife » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm

My husband Pete was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in October 2003. He had He had APR and a permanent colostomy. He was stage 3 at diagnosis. With perhaps 2 lymph nodes involved. Then he had 25 sessions radiation which burned and cooked his inside and he was very sick from that. For 2,5 years he was NED, and then in February 2006 the onc picked it up in a 6 months consultation on the sonar. It spread to his liver. There were 2 mets, for which he received 6 months (12 sessions of chemo. Folfox plus Avastin. After 3 months the onc only got excited when he saw the 7,5 cm tumor shrinking to almost 5 and the other 5 cm tumor shrinked to 2,5 cm. Then only he started to talk about a liver recection. Initially he thought it was not possible. So he had the recection in Sept 2006 and 6 days later in hospital he had a blockage (due to the radiation - which bothered him for a year) and the liver surgeon operated again. He lost 20 kilogram at that stage. Picked it all up again.

He went home, was booked of from work for 6 weeks, and then he went back to work again (office job). He really live life to the fullest. He files his feelings, and he only think about it, when he wants to. He really handles this whole situation well. Better than me. I am the one on the anti depressant.

We went on a boat cruise for 10 days to Mauritius with the children in January 2008, and then when we came back, he had to go for his 3 months check up. So, he went for a scan, and they saw little spots, under 1 cm on his lungs. 3 of them. So, he was warned. On the liver only calcifications from where they operated and RFA previously. We knew something was coming.

August 2008 he went for the next checkup scan and they saw that the tumors were now 6 little ones, the biggest was 1,5 cm. The onc gave him a choice whether he want to go for chemo or not. So, he didn't want to go, but the children and I (girl 20 and boy 17) talked him into it. Better to go when it is still small. He started on Folfiri in August 2008 and in January 2009 the onc did a scan again. The 6 marks was down to 3 again, half smaller, and it looked like the chemo was working. He only finished the 12 sessions in middle March 2009. His hair fell out this time on Folfiri. It was very traumatice at first, until we went to buy take away pizza one night, and he saw 3 men in 10 minutes with less hair than him. Then he accepted it. Normally every second week when he had off from the chemo, he went on a happy hour with his friends and he had his brandy and cola or a glass or red wine.

He is so full of life, his first port was blocked after 2,5 years, so he had to get a new one in the other shoulder. That was his rifle shoulder for hunting, and that was bad. But he was on a hunting trip again and he shot an eland and a blue wilde beast. He enjoys his biltong and dry wors.

He went back now in June 2009 for a 6 month scan again, and the tumors on the lungs were stable. No new ones, and they didn't grow from January from the last scan. The onc said he was stable, he can go home, work, have quality of life, and come back for a check up in 3 months again. They explained to us that his 3 remaining small mets on the lungs cant be operated now, as they are too far apart. As long as he is stable now, it is okay. Mets like he has now, is best to be treated with chemo.

His situation sound a lot familiar to Justsing's situation. He has never been on a trial, because there was never a trial suitable for him yet at the stages what he has been in.

The only thing I can say which is a integral part of his almost 6 years survival till now, is a positive attitude and outlook on life. If anybody says he is sick, he asks "who is sick?". He doesn't want any sympathy. He is not hiding his colostomy, he will even tell people that himself. That was not his choice to have it, and thanks to the colostomy he is still alive. He lives without stress, has a good pension from his job, got a new job, still working every day. Always busy outside and on the go, and loves his red wine and now and then the brandy and coke. He decided that the time he has left, he must enjoy.

We did make a few food changes. He doesn't drink sugar in tea or coffee. Rather sweetner. We don't braai that ofter anymore. BUt the onc says if we do on a gas braai, it is better than on the coals because of carcinogenics. He bought a nice gas braai, and now we braai again. He drinks his milk thistle, magnesium and calcium, probiotics, selenium, multivitamin and antioxidants daily.

A positive attitude and a good support system is helping him very much. He is the strong one! And he is a stage 4 survivor for almost 6 years now. Due date is 18 October.

We realized that some people has high blood pressure, and take something for that. Others have diabetes, and take injections or pills for that. He has cancer and he will get chemo once or twice a year. If necessary. If that is the only thing that will help, so be it. He has been cut open knots and crosses and thinks chemo is better. He survived it twice for 12 sessions at a time, 25 sessions of radiation, and he looks like any other man passing you by. He doesn't look sick, and you wouldn't know it, if we don't tell you.

My message to you all Be positive!

Ilse (Pete's wife)
Pete age 56, dx Oct 2003. APR then.
25 Sessions radiation Nov 2003.
NED for 2,5 years.
Feb 2006 2 mets to liver.
Folfox and Avastin for 12 sessions.
Liver resection and RFA Sept 2006.
NED
Aug 2008 - 6 Spots on lungs - biggest 1,5 cm
Folfiri August 2008 to March 2009.
June 2009. 3 Mets on left lung. No growth. No new mets.
Stable for now - till next check up. :D
After 8,5 years living with CRC, Pete passed away on 17/4/2012. We had lots of quality time, we said our goodbyes! I am at peace because he doesn't suffer anymore! He is now better off with the Lord! We will surely miss him very very much!!

barbara jayne
Facebook Username: Barbara Allenhttps://www.facebook.com/barbara.alle

Re: Husband dx in 2003 Stage 3 - Still surviving stage 4

Postby barbara jayne » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks Ilse for such an inspiring story you must be very proud of your husband and he must be so glad of all your support, I'm relatively new to the cancer journey compared to your family but hope to be possitive and live life as normally as i can ! thanks again :D
DX. Colon Cancer (Cecum) stage 3
Right hemicolectomy Jan '08
2/22 L.nodes positive
Oxi and Xeloda
Xeloda discontinued
due to DPD enzyme deficiency
Lynch Syndrome
13 years NED
Facebook user name,
Barbara Allen https://www.facebook.com/barbara.allen.927

Russian27

Postby Russian27 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Thank you for your story. I am stage IV too so your story is very important to me.
Dx at 39(12/2008), Stage IV, omentum mets,
0/16 lymph nodes positive,
right colectomy 1/2009,
FOLFOX + avastin 2/2009-7/2009
Thank You Colonclub! 2015

shmurciakova

Postby shmurciakova » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:21 pm

HI Ilse,
Thank you for posting your husbands story. I hope that he has as much success with the lung surgery as I have had! Best wishes,
Susan H. :P
diagnosed at 31 in 2002, Stage IV
Sigmoid colectomy - 6 mos 5-FU/Leukovorin
liver resection - 6 rounds XELIRI (xeloda/irinotecan)
lung wedge resection Oct. 2004 - no chemo
NED!!

Peteswife

Postby Peteswife » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks to all of you who posted a reply. I hope it goes well with you too. Our biggest wish is to say he is NED again. We will get there Susan. Eventually. Thanks to you all!

I read this forum almost every day and i will keep track how you all are doing.
Regards
Ilse
After 8,5 years living with CRC, Pete passed away on 17/4/2012. We had lots of quality time, we said our goodbyes! I am at peace because he doesn't suffer anymore! He is now better off with the Lord! We will surely miss him very very much!!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 pm

What a wonderful story of survivorship! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm on the oxi,xeloda,avastin regime and it's very promising to hear how it worked for you husband. My onc. said the goal is to treat cancer like any other disease such as diabetes. I agree, if I have to do chemo once or twice a year after my initial treatment to LIVE WITH cancer, I will.

Thanks again!
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Peterswife

Postby Peterswife » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 am

Good luck to you too Terry! You have the positive attitude what is needed! Hope all goes well!
Ilse

Diana

Postby Diana » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Loved reading your story, Ilse. Thank you!
St IV CC ,13 of 15 Lnodes : 4/17/07
end chemo 11/07 /ct clear
9 mo. Ned/ 3LN's lit up on Pscan 9/10/08
Folfox & Erbitux
03/04/09 Clear PScan-wkly Erbitux
04/14/09CT=LN's Xeloda
08=09 Folfuri/avastin

Guest T

Postby Guest T » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your story, I'm very inspired by it. My husband is now stage 4. He was a stage 3c from April 2006 until Feb 2009. He was NED for most of that time. He is 58 a little older then your husband. It's nice to hear stories so close to home. It gives us hope. My husband is like yours. Never complaines and just looks at it like one more hurtle to overcome. He had an APR (4-06) Rad. with Xeloda then folfox. Now he is on FOLFOX with avastin. Does not have a colostomy. It's not an option for him now. If he had surgery they would have to remove so much that his quality of life would not be good and they still would not be able to cure him. So he has decided to do Folfox with avastin then maybe more radiation with seeds inplanted when it comes back. He also has other chemo options and who knows what else they come up with by then. The name of the game is kill it when it shows it's ugly head or Hide and seek and kill. Anyway you look at it at least we have an option. I'm glad we live in this era.

Love Toni
Husband Rectal stage 3C 4-06
LAR 4-06
6 weeks Rad & Xeloda
Chemo Folfox 6 mos.
Hernia repair 10-07
NED Until 2-09
folfox/avastin June -09 - Dec-09
Surgery 2-19-2010
perforation another surgery 3-17-2010
Path report shows cancer still active

Peteswife

Postby Peteswife » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 am

Thanks again for the replies. I have been reading this forum for a very long time, before I registered. I think we all get so much encouragement out of the other's stories and successes. And I just love Justsings stories for instance. She is so positive she can send a person to hell with him looking forward to the trip. And Gaelen always has all the facts ready. I really appreciate the info that we get from her when she replies to all the posts.

Toni, you are so very right. WIth all the new technology that come alight every now and then, hopefully there will be something for our people. We live in South Africa and the other day I read in the newspaper about this nanotechnology that has been tested on mice with 100% positive results. They will be starting to test it on people one of these days. I saw it was a Prof Andre Nel, from California that spoke at a seminar here in Pretoria about that. He is the husban of our former Miss World, Margaret Gardener, who left South Africa to stay there with him. If I remember correctly she also had breast cancer, so I think it is a special concern to him too to get something that helps for this life threatening disease that we all know.

You all be strong!
Ilse

Pasadena Randy

Postby Pasadena Randy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:59 am

Thank you for your uplifting story.I too am stage 4,3 and half years so far.Two reoccurences,one HIPEC surgery and am back on chemo for the first time in three years.Seems it likes to show up in my abdomen.My onc has me on FOLFORI plus erbitux.Have two 1 cm.spots by my bladder.All you can do is fight and pray.God bless!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”