Survivor Guilt

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
survivormike06@yahoo.com

Survivor Guilt

Postby survivormike06@yahoo.com » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:56 pm

I am a cancer survivor. My colon surgery took place Aug 04, 06. I had mets on my liver and in my rectum. Everything that could be found and surgically removed was done. I took chemo for 6 months. Now I am on the blood tests monthly and Petscans every 3 months.

I feel blessed and fortunate that I am alive. However, I feel a form of guilt being a survivor. I have many friends that had less invasive surgery then mine for cancer that didnt make it.

I hope this subject doesnt sound foolish.

My whole person has changed for the better. I am a big advocate of raising funds for research, development and one day a cure for all cancers.

Is anybody out there ever feel guilty for dodging the big "C" bullet.

Thanks for reading this.

Michael

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:21 pm

Hi Michael,
I was dx with st3 colon ca .It had invaded 6 of 13 lymph glands and was at the top end for aggression. My doctors gave me little or no chance as a matter of fact my onc suggested that when it finally takes off I would have mets from the tips of my toes to the roots of my hair. Well it did not take off and I have been cancer free for nine years.
Do I feel guilty ? No not at all. I am often sad for all of the friends that I have since lost to this disease but never guilty. For all those that have been lost there have been as many encouraged by my survival and have gone on to win the fight. If there were to be guilt it would be for not coming to these forums and trying to give help and encouragement. I wish you well in your continued survival, there will be many burdens you will have to deal with ,guilt should not be one of them. Ron.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:14 pm

I had a close friend who died of colon cancer less than a year before I was diagnosed. I e-mail her mom, and I'll be going out to see her soon. I feel bad sometimes that I am so much more fortunate than my friend was. I know her mom is happy for me, but it must hurt to have lost her daughter to the same disease. Survivor guilt is normal. Not everyone has it, and not all who have it have it all the time, but it is very normal.

scottg

guilt

Postby scottg » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:02 pm

it is a difficult position to be in,you feel sorry for the ones who dont make it but you want to be the survivor,,,,,, almost like you cant win.feeling sorry for those less fortunate is a good thing and motivates people to help others.stops you in your tracks and puts a new perspective on your goals.i am a stage 4 "survivior" just finished 6 months chemo,,,i dont want to sound negative but we both have a way to go before we are true survivors.true not all stage 4 are the same,some dont catch it till theres little that can be done.i have no visible signs on scans but am told 95% chance of reacurance.be pro active and plan for the worst and hope for the best.i am going for a surgery to see if and cancer still exists and if so remove it and do direct chemo to the areas,,,a new procedure with good results. Scott

survivormike06

Re: Survivor Guilt

Postby survivormike06 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:23 pm

survivormike06@yahoo.com wrote:I am a cancer survivor. My colon surgery took place Aug 04, 05. I had mets on my liver and in my rectum. Everything that could be found and surgically removed was done. I took chemo for 6 months. Now I am on the blood tests monthly and Petscans every 3 months.

I feel blessed and fortunate that I am alive. However, I feel a form of guilt being a survivor. I have many friends that had less invasive surgery then mine for cancer that didnt make it.

I hope this subject doesnt sound foolish.

My whole person has changed for the better. I am a big advocate of raising funds for research, development and one day a cure for all cancers.

Is anybody out there ever feel guilty for dodging the big "C" bullet.

Thanks for reading this.

Michael
We Think We Got It All. Your color looks good also,

beebe

So Happy

Postby beebe » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:21 pm

Hello,

I am really happy to read that cancer can be beaten. I lost my mother and the reason I still need to visit the Colon Club is to hear about survivors.
You were lucky and ths counts. There is nothing to be guilty about.
I embrace you with all my heart and I hope you live a wonderful and healthy life.
My life too has changed, I now know about suffering and how to help those in need of comfort. I know about colonscopies and how important they are.
You are not foolish. You made it.
Thank you
Beebe

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:38 pm

it makes me sad when i hear about survivor guilt. You give the rest of us hope that we'll pull this through. since you've made it we can make it too. of course not everyone makes it but turn that sadness into fighting that others need to get screened so they will never have to endure what we have.

may you have many more happy years :D
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”