Insurance in PA

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Insurance in PA

Postby Edward » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:34 am

KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN YOU TEST IS DENIED, YOUR INSURANCE PREMIUM RISES, OR YOUR EMPLOYER MOVE DUE TO HEALTHCARE.

MORE CAN BE SEEN AT www.wnep.com and go to the Talkback section.

I, along with several people associated with this board tried to get CC screening mandated in PA similar to Arkansas and MD. We were met with the political runaround. See www.pasen.gov - SB635.

Blue Cross Funds Health Care Changes

Wednesday, December 13, UDPATED: 6:04 p.m.
By Kurt Aaron & Andy Hirsch

A major change to improve the quality of health care all across northeastern and central Pennsylvania was announced Wednesday. The announcement includes an affiliation between two area hospitals.

Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania announced it is giving $175 million to its regional health care initiative. The money will go to hospitals and medical facilities across our area.

Community Medical Center and Moses Taylor in Scranton will form a partnership in an effort to eliminate duplicate services at both facilities. The hospitals will receive $50 million to recruit doctors and improve technology.

Also, the new Medical College of Northeastern Pennsylvania that will be built in Scranton will receive $25 million for start-up costs.

Blue Cross will give $40 million to Wyoming Valley Health Care System for new emergency rooms, office space and to repair a medical office building in Luzerne County.

Susquehanna Health System will receive $30 million to build a new main hospital in Lycoming County and make upgrades to Divine Providence and Muncy hospitals.

Among the projects planned are a new heart and lung center along with upgrading cancer services and child care. The emergency rooms at Williamsport Hospital will get some attention along with radiology and laboratory services.

The hospital also plans to build single occupancy rooms. Officials said that will lead to better infection control and safer medication management.

The president of Susquehanna Health said each patient admitted to the hospital accounts for, on average, $8,000 in revenue so if these changes can bring in an extra 100 patients a year, that's an extra $800,000 spent locally. He calls the plan good for both the physical health of the patients and the fiscal health of the communities.

Blue Cross officials said the goal of the initiative is to keep patients here instead of going to Philadelphia or other areas for treatment.

The chairman of Moses Taylor Hospital said the partnership does not expect job cuts, and that all insurances are still welcome there and at CMC.

"No matter what insurance carrier someone has, we would continue to take care of those insurances just as we have in the past, and there's no change in that regard at all," said Douglas Allen. "As we continue forward we'll have more employees, not less employees. So at this point and time, I think it's very premature to talk about any loss of employees."

Andy Anderson, the new C.E.O. of Northeastern Pennsylvania Health Care System, said Blue Cross customers won't see an increase in monthly insurance premiums.

"In general terms I would be comfortable to say it will be helpful. It would have a positive impact in terms of monthly premiums. They will have fewer, less increases that they would had this merger not happened," Anderson said.

He also would not speculate about job cuts. "As much as I would like to say that, as happy as that would make everyone who works at both systems, I think right now to make that kind of promise would be irresponsible. I can tell you that's our goal and we think that's an obtainable goal but I just don't want to make that kind of specific statement right now," Anderson added.

Anderson said he hopes for long-term results which will show an increase in employees.

The new C.E.O. said the goal is to upgrade both hospitals and bring in additional services to our area which are currently offered elsewhere.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

pearlgirl

PA healthcare

Postby pearlgirl » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:31 pm

Edward,
I'm not sure I understand how insurance companies denying tests relates to the news story. We live in central PA and this is an important issue for our family. Could you elaborate? Thanks!

Edward

Insurance

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:57 am

Hi Pearlgirl,

I am co-chair of the Central Susquehanna Valley Colorectal Task Force. Along with raising awareness, we were trying to get a screening bill passed in Pennsylvania. The bill was mentioned in previous post.

When meeting with a PA Senator's office about the issue, he said the law would be too expensive and end up denying people healthcare in the long run. At a recent conference in Hershey, PA, a speaker said we are around 25 years behind breast cancer in awareness and legislation.

There are a few Blue Cross agencies operating in PA. This is just one. This is kind of a backhanded slap at the people in PA. Premiums rise every year and there are about 46 to 48 million in the USA that do not have healthcare. Alot of the people in this group are unfortunately children. This act of generosity for the most part is for Blue Cross to increase revenue in the long run. What about lowering premiums or covering more???
Livestrong,

Edward

pearlgirl

Re: Insurance

Postby pearlgirl » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:32 am

Edward wrote:This act of generosity for the most part is for Blue Cross to increase revenue in the long run. What about lowering premiums or covering more???

Oh, now I understand. Thanks for your patient explanation. :) My husband's employer is switching to Blue Cross in January. Do they have a record of denying tests? We are currently experiencing that with the insurance company we are with now...

Edward

Blue Cross

Postby Edward » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:29 pm

I think your husband would better be served by Blue Cross. My anger in this story in directed at the PA State Senate. About a year ago maybe longer PA passed a comprehensive breast cancer screening bill. We were trying to do the same with colon cancer. You could read about the bill SB635 on www.pasen.gov.

In getting the political runaround and I knew I was getting it, their lame excuse was that premiums would rise due to all the people coming up and getting colonoscopies. Hard to guess, but with technology, colonscopies could be a think of the past by some future less invasive method of testing. Could you imagine the people in lines waiting for a colonoscopy? Up until 12 hours before my first one, I didn't even know what was involved in the test until I started to drink the "magic elixar".
Livestrong,

Edward

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”