Encore, please...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Becca

Encore, please...

Postby Becca » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Well, it seems that the mystery of the rising CEA has been solved, damnit. Thurday I had a CT scan in anticipation of having RFA done a 2nd time to see if that helped with my #s. Alas, I got a call from my surgeon friday afternoon with the news. I now have 15-20 (total) lesions on my lungs. They're small (the largest is just under a cm.) I will be starting chemo again Monday. Fulfuri with Avastin & Xeloda. I asked that we try that instead of the pump like the last time. I have a 2 year old & I'm also allergic to adhesives & having that thing taped to me for 2 days was AWFUL!!! I had blisters by the time I took the pump out. Anyone out there that had used Xeloda that can give me any imput would be great.

The good news is my oncologist is confident that we can manage this mess. I came right out & asked him how long I had & he said "Rebecca, you're NOT terminally ill. I want you to think about this as just another bump in the road. The chemo did it's job the 1st time & I have faith that it will do it this time. You're a strong woman with a lot of years of fight in you. Got it?" To which I timidly responded "ok!" He's a great guy. He's really taken a personal intrest in my case because it's so unusual due to lack of family history. I feel lucky to have a Dr. that really cares. I'll be sure to keep you all posted on my progress.

Everyone, have Merry Christmas & a Blessed New Year!!!

~Becca

Billy

Author! Author!

Postby Billy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:46 pm

Bec…sorry to hear about the lesions, but I’m sure you’ll be able to suck it up. When they found the tumor I’m currently working on, it was right before Christmas last year. Not the best of presents, but at least it’s wrapped nicely.

I took Xeloda for a while. Compared to other chemo drugs, these might as well be Flintstones’ Chewables! When I first started with xeloda it gave me a little rash/dryness on my hands and feet, but that can be taken care of with a good moisturizer. After a few months it didn’t even do that much.

Sounds like you have an awesome doc. My oncologist is better than your oncologist (according to one of my favorite t-shirts anyway). It is a big help to have that kind of a person taking care of your health.

Good luck!

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:39 am

Hi Becca,

Just finishing my last course of Xeloda, and as a few on the board would agree, main problems i have had are with my feet, started to get worse after about 4th treatment. Just keep them well moisturised. I even soak mine for about 30mins in a bowl of warm salt water.

Merry Xmas to you

Nick x

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”