any info for lymph nodes and chemo?scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
janette

any info for lymph nodes and chemo?scared

Postby janette » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:27 pm

Hi everyone. My mom just had her colon, and part of her rectum taken out, so she has the bag. After a couple of months the doctor said he can reconnect her. The bad news we got yesterday is that out of 25 lymph nodes one had cancer, and that she will need to do chemo. The problem is my mom has had a bad immune sysyten all of her life, so we are worried about the chemo. Any suggestions?? Should she do it, and how dangerous is one lymph node??? She is cancer free, but they dont want it to come back. I am so scared, and dont know the percentage rate of how it could spread. Any info would be appreciated. everyone is so nice on this board, so i thought i would ask. Thanks

Postby guest » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:11 pm

Even though she had the tumor removed it is smart to have chemo. If it went to her lymph nodes there may be microscopic cancer cells that are still in her body. Chemo will increase her chances of it not reoccuring. I say do as much as her body will tolerate. Good luck.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:36 am

Janette

What your moms had done, sounds very similar to mine. My tumour as in the higher part of my bum, so just had part removed with temp bag. I had 28 lymph nodes removed with 3 testing positve. So although it could of been better for me and your mom, it also could of been a bit worse, as some of the guys and gals on the board will testify. Ive just had my last blast of Oxaliplatin at the hospital. weds 13th Dec. (yipee) and have two weeks of xeloda tablets to take, before the chemo is done. (at least i pray it will be done with) Im then having bag removed end of Jan. I would say the first 2 or 3 treatments did drag a bit, but one over that things will pick up and mine seems to have flown by.

Wishing you and mom and good christmas

nick

LA8

Postby LA8 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:35 am

Hi, Janette. Its pretty much standard proceedure to offer people in your mom's situation to be offered follow up chemo. I've just had surgery in the same area and although my lymph nodes came back clear, I'm about to be put on a course of chemo 'just in case'. I'm happy to accept this extra 'insurance policy'. If I'm on the same stuff as before I didn't really have much in the way of side effects (touch wood). I think mose people you ask will reccommend she goes ahead. All the best to Mom!

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi Jan,
I had 6 of 13 lymph nodes involved . They gave me intravenous chem every tuesday for a year. They monitor your blood constantly and alter doses and medications to compensate for individual conditions. I will be 9yrs clear in Jan ,give your mum my kind regards ,Ron.

janette

Hi nick

Postby janette » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:27 pm

NICK THE BRIT wrote:Janette

What your moms had done, sounds very similar to mine. My tumour as in the higher part of my bum, so just had part removed with temp bag. I had 28 lymph nodes removed with 3 testing positve. So although it could of been better for me and your mom, it also could of been a bit worse, as some of the guys and gals on the board will testify. Ive just had my last blast of Oxaliplatin at the hospital. weds 13th Dec. (yipee) and have two weeks of xeloda tablets to take, before the chemo is done. (at least i pray it will be done with) Im then having bag removed end of Jan. I would say the first 2 or 3 treatments did drag a bit, but one over that things will pick up and mine seems to have flown by.

Wishing you and mom and good christmas

Thanks for the info Nick. Mom is doing well with the bag, and will have chemo in a couple of weeks. I would like to keep in touch with you. If you want you can email me at janetteteaches@sbcglobal.net. I will keep you in my prayers, and hang in there!! This is sooo hard not only for mom, but for us the family memebers. Have a great xmas, and keep in touch! Janette
nick

janette

Thanks to everyone

Postby janette » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:29 pm

Thanks you all for the info you have given me. I will keep you all in my prayers. have a great xmas, and hang in there. If anyone wants to e-mail me my address is janetteteaches@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”