Medi-Port just installed...man, does this suck!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ketel

Medi-Port just installed...man, does this suck!

Postby ketel » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:51 pm

After long a debate on the subject of Medi-Port vs. PICC line, I went with the Medi-Port. The folks at UCSF put it in a few hours ago. Basically, I think I got a doc who did his surgery residency at Jiffy Lube, because he poked, prodded and yanked his catheter through to my superior vena cava with all the delicacy and nimbleness of a Mack truck.

Anyhow, back home now. Medi-Port feels very uncomfortable - like I have something in my throat and have some difficulty swallowing, etc. The dressing on the neck is also too tight, so I have limited rotation of my neck and upper body. I look like Lurch from the old Adams Family sitcom.

Boy, I hope this feeling goes away. I understand the dressing comes off in a few days and I should feel little or no discomfort going forward. Hope that's right. Any personal stories re: living with this thing is welcome. Hope I didn't make a mistake passing on taking a PICC line.

ketel

hpr

Wow

Postby hpr » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:51 pm

Ketel,

Oh my friend...My most immediate response was "Why in the h#$% were you awake?" Everyone hear me when I say "MAC IS A BEAUTIFUL THING!"

Sounds like the general surgeon was not so gentle. EEK! Hate it when that happens! Sorry, Ketel...The port will likely be "uncomfortable" for sometime. I am hopeful that the surgeon was compassionate enough to give you something for the pain (it might take the edge off a bit).

I will share a story with you if you promise not to tell...So I had two ports. The first port was near the left clavicle. It became infected and was replaced after two short months. Under MAC (sound a sleep), the surgeon was implanting the second port. Just about to close, he whispered "OH SHIT!" He said those two words so quietly that none of the other persons in the OR heard him. Moments later, I sat up and said out loud "You can not say shit while I am on the table!" The team was scrambling. As quickly as I sat up, I, laid back down and slept for the remainder of the procedure. My port saved my life by supplying me food for six months post surgery! Not to fret, trust me when I say that you will appreciate your port!

Holly

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:12 am

Oh my god Ketel, you made the right decision...trust me.
first off, PICC lines are a pain in the ass, you can't keep em for as long as a port, and they get infected alot easier.

now, thats not to say i love my port. i hate it. i'm really thin (REALLY thin) and it's right above my right breast, so that kinda pushes it out more, but it really protudes. alot. you can clearly see it through every shirt i wear.
AND the incision did not close up for three months. i kept having to go in and get stitches taken out, then restitched, at one point it was left open, a whole about the size of a dime...i could literally SEE the white plastic of the port through the hole.
and i had to pack it twice a day with silver nitrate for awhile to try and get the skin to approximate.
i had to keep it covered that whole time (and showering was a bitch. i literally took baths for a long long time)

BUUUUUTT all that said and done, it's much better than the PICC. Right now, i'm getting my use out of it, and trust me, with your infusions, you'd much rather have your hands and arms free. it's alot easier to not think about the needle in your chest (trust me)

when i first came out from having the port put in (i was awake but heavily drugged, and i had a local) i kept talking to the guy doing it...he told me his name was Bill just before they gave me the drugs so the whole time i kept going "Bill? Bill is that you? thats a bit of pressure there Bill...a little pressure...careful there" (i could't see him cuz of that blue cloth they put up.
anywho, when i got back to my hospital room i was SUPER paranoid that they had stuck a metal rod up my neck or something. i could barely turn my head. every nurse that came in for the remainder of that day i'd say "um, is there something in my neck running up to my jaw? are you sure they didn't put something there too?" (my mom got really tired of my asking every nurse. she was testy b/c she thought i didn't believe her)
i also had the 'lurch' thing going on. i couldn't look up, and couldn't put my chin to my chest. had to turn my whole torso just to look to the side.
but trust me....TRUST me, it goes away.

i'll leave you with this (i always like to use pictures to illustrate my point....)
if you go here: http://www.cancer-sucks.com/gallery/media.php that little vid. clip of me playing the conga drums i have my port (you can almost see the white of the bandage from the neckline on my shirt)

and these pics:
http://www.cancer-sucks.com/gallery/pic ... -2-015.jpg (er, copy and paste that link b/c i can't get it to work with the apostrophe in the link)

http://www.cancer-sucks.com/gallery/pic ... -ginga.jpg

http://www.cancer-sucks.com/gallery/pic ... eneira.jpg

http://www.cancer-sucks.com/gallery/pic ... dstand.jpg

were ALL taken after my port was put in. so really....it'll get better.
i promise

(though i can't WAIT til this thing gets taken out!)

Billy

Port-O-Port

Postby Billy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:38 pm

The port is definitely the way to go. With the amount of times you’re going to be stuck with a needle in the coming years, this is way better than having someone dig around for a vein each time, and it’s more stable than a PICC line. The feeling of the port goes away. Eventually you won’t even notice that it’s there. They’re great fun at parties though! Just when you think you’ve grossed everyone out with your cancer stories, just grab someone’s hand and put it to the port…..people jump. :wink:
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

holycow101

Port vs. Pic

Postby holycow101 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:52 pm

Ketel,

Holy smokes! I hate hearing that people like you are being treated this way. I had a pic line and it got infected a lot and if there was any residual blood left under the line, it would cause problems.

It kicks butt that you sat up and yelled at them. That is so great. Taught them a thing or two. You're in the drivers seat so demand what you want, when you want it. It's your right.

Best wishes,
Tim

Ports

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:35 am

My husband just had his 2nd port installed on 11/27. He is on his 2nd recurrence and had the 1st one taken out right after finishing chemo the 1st time.

For both of his, he had nothing but steri-strips that was to be left on til they came off on their own. With this port, I was a little worried because he left the surgery center and went straight to chemo with Avastin, but exactly one week later the strips came off and it was completely healed.

They even put this port back in the exact same spot as the 1st one. I really didn't know if that would be possible or not, but the surgeon asked him where he wanted it.

MA

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:33 pm

You'll probably feel better once the swelling goes down and the dressings come off. I was pretty uncomfortable because my dressings were too tight. I got wonderful drugs both for insertion and removal. You shouldn't have been so aware of what was going on. They don't put you all the way out, but pretty near. The insertion DOES involve some tugging and shoving, but you should have been drugged up enough not to care. Once you start getting all the needle sticks, you may decide it was worth it. It's definately easier to take care of than a PICC. And here's hoping the removal is easier than the insertion. Helpful hint: if you have a choice, have it removed by an interventional radiologist. They do more of them, usually, than surgeons do, and have the art down a bit better.

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Dude that sucks they didn't knock you out! What the heck is up with that?

My Oncologist had them put it in when I got resected. I was thankful to have my team of Doc's on board from the begining (gotta thank my family doc for that). It really grossed me out for a month. It did split a little bit at the top but I'm glad it just healed! My surgeon did a great job though. It really doesn't stick out that much on my chest. I wouldn't do chemo with out it man...not that I'm not becoming immune to being poked so much but man it really is a life saver.

man from what i read i wish everyone had a good group of guys like mine as a treatment team!

Hope you are healing ok. It's worth it hang in there! :lol:
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

mcervone

Medi-port

Postby mcervone » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:39 am

Hi! My name is Michelle and I just wanted to respond to your concern with your new medi-port. I'm on my second medi-port and I really have to say that after all the pain and aggravation of having it inserted and healed, it's worth it. I had my first one put in around July of 2004 and it was removed because I had beaten the cancer. Then this year I had a reoccurrence and I had to have one put back in. Ok, so not to blab on about myself....but, I was recently in the hospital and I had some docs trying to convince me into getting a picc line. Well, I refused it and I mainly feel that it was for their convenience!!!

I just wanted to tell you that I think you made the right choice! I have not had any problems with my port...knock on wood!!! I would tell you to put some Emla cream (lidocane) on it before it is accessed. It takes the pain away!!!

Hopefully this helps!! :)

Michelle (aka Miss June 2006)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”