Colon cancer free...now they found a new mass

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
northern lights

Colon cancer free...now they found a new mass

Postby northern lights » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:52 pm

I went for the post chemo scan and they found some fluid around the incision site and it was recommended that they have a closer look using ultra sound. ( I guess they can see fluid better this way). So that checked out ok and it is fluid...so horay! no more colon cancer.

However, they have found a 6 cm mass on the right ovary. Because of may age they have suspected lynch syndrome, so now there is a possiblity of ovarian cancer. I had some blood tests today to look for cancer markers and I'm seeing the gynocologist on Monday. They have mentioned a hysterectomy, but at the very least the "mass" and ovary will need to come out.

So much for celebrating being cancer free this Christmas. This all started on 22 Dec last year and now it looks like it is starting all over. Has anyone had another primary cancer show up so quickly? They can take whatever they want out of me, but I sure don't want to start chemo again!!

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi Sharon,

We were both dx in January with stage III and I finished my treatments at the end of July. I just read your post and am sad to hear that the docs found a new mass. So it seems to me that you don't know for sure if it is cancer. I am not sure what Lynch syndrome is or what your age is but I do understand your feelings about not wanting to do chemo again. Some tumors can be treated just with surgery alone and can be benign and let's hope that this is the way to go for you. I am so glad for you that you are colon cancer free....I just found out that I am, too. I know that this news is now being overshadowed but that is definitely something to celebrate! I am sure the holidays hold so much emotion for you. I send you my support and encouragement and I hope that everything goes well at your next Dr. appt.

Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:30 am

Sharon,

This is a copy of the first post that I sent to you. You were in the early days of your journey and I hope that it will bring you some comfort. Despite what is right in front of you, remember that ALL things are truly possible! Trust that God will have His arms wrapped tightly around you every step of the way!

Always,

Holly

-----------------

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 pm Post subject: Chemo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northern Lights,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

Yes, there are a lot of us, young and living strong colon cancer survivors! Northern Light, I was diagnosed at the age of 30 with stage IV colon cancer and given very little hope. I am cancer-free. The most important things I will share with you today is...Remember ALL things are possible.

You will go through a wide variety of emotions. Embrace all of them. Find a productive way to unlease them...I like to find an open field a scream, find what works for you! I have been cancer-free since 2004 and I grateful every moment of my life. Too, I am scared. It is a powerful emotion emotion that I find myself willing off. I get follow up testing and petscans every three months and still fear the "unknown." I believe that this will be apart of me for the remainder of my life but I do have the choice of how I wish to contain it! Again, you must believe that all things are possible!

Chemo...Yes, I know you must be waiting to hear and experience with baited breathe. Based on what you have shared with the colon club, I have deducted that you will be on Oxiplatin. The Folfox regimen. Neuropathy is a cold-like sensation one similar to that if you pull something out of the freezer (reasonable to compare to a minimal frostbite like sensation). But will last a little longer. Oxiplatin has a 15 day half life. That means it remains in your body for 15 days. So you will get another dose or round of the drug before the old has cleared your body. Thus, you may have been told that the treatment has a cummulative affect. It builds onto itself. May I say: A warm pair of mittens and snuggly socks will be priceless! I would recommend that you avoid chilled drinks like ice water and cold soda for a few days post your chemotherapy. I was told to avoid and did so anyway so that I could journal my experience. It is a quick shock and gets your attention, only needed to experience once. Room temp ot tap water should not affect you. I am a cold natured person and do not like to be cold. So I was layering clothes even in the summer while being treated. Find your comfort! The greatest side affect that I experienced was FATIGUE. I was sooo tired and rest and rest and rest. I figured it was my body's way of telling me what was needed. Do not be alarmed if you are tired. Not like a little overtime or tucked out from the flu, I mean dog tired and dragging. This is normal. Hair loss...Will you loose your hair? Not likely if you are not on monoclonal antibodies. Your hair will thin (my hair stylist recognized, I did not). So not to fret. When I say thin, I mean a couple hairs here and there but I assure you you will others will not likely recognize.

About the carnival...Your childen love you. Despite the fight you are in for, remember to embrace love and life. Go, have a ball, take video and hugs your children. But do remember the warm snuggly socks and mittens! I hope this helps! I hope that through this forum and website, you find much love, support and encouragement as I have over the past year! I am truly blessed! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and do update the Colon Club on your journey!

Hugs!

Holly

mcervone

Colon cancer reoccurrence

Postby mcervone » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:53 am

Hey Sharon,

I just wanted to sympathize with you on your reoccurrence. I'm so sorry to hear that you might have to go through a bunch of crap again. I was diagnosed in June of 2004 with Stage IV colon cancer and I was sent into surgery and then went through 6 months of chemo. Then this April I was told that something showed up on my ct scan. Well, it was on my ovaries and it was big....they did a biopsy and said that it was still colon cancer. This was good, I guess. So, I had more chemo to try to shrink it. Then I was sent to Pittsburgh, PA for a fairly new surgery. Needless to say they did a "debulking" surgery and during it I had a chemo soak! I agree....surgery as tough as the recovery was.....I dreaded chemo again!!!!! I just started treatment again!!!! Yuck!!

I know it sucks with all of the holidays!!! Hopefully you will get good news and not need to go through chemo. Keep us posted and let me know if there is anything I can help with!!! I hope you are finding this site as helpful as I did! Molly and the girls are great!!!

Happy holidays

Michelle (aka Miss June 2006)

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Hello everyone,

Well after consultation with a gynocologist on Monday, he felt it was best to go in and get the ovary and mass and figure out what it was. He was going to try and go in lapiscopicaly, but due to too many adhesions, I was opened up. We had also agreed that if he did open up, he would do a complete historectomy.

The primary surgeon also wanted to look at the resection site as there was possiblby more cancer former there. Monday was a very bleak day.

The good news is NO MORE CANCER!!! The surgeons looked at all the organs and there is no sign of any disease. The mass on the ovaries was a collection of cysts and although everything was sent away to pathology, good results are expected.

I am ok with the hysterectomy as I have two beautiful kids, and now I can again focus on watching them grow up. Christmas will be a true celebration and I can't wait to turn the calendar to 2007.

Thank you all for your encouragement, and I will pray for you as you continue your journey.

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:19 pm

congrats Shanon:

Have yourself a merry christmas and a very happy new year.

hugs to your kids

Joyce (Ontario)

Now is sunny Naples Florida for the winter :)

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:21 pm

sorry Sharon (I have tingle fingers and typed Shanon)

Again a big Yippee for your "good" news.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:53 am

Great news Sharon, happy holidays to you and the family

nick

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”