Intro-17yr old w/stg 4 colon cancer, need support, etc...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:06 am

Robin,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

I am pleased that you have found this site and it is my hope that it provides you strength, encouragement, love and support as it has me over the past year! I do hope that you will introduce Wanda to the club as well!

At 30, I was dx with stage IV colon cancer and was given little hope for survival. I am currently NED (no evidence of metastatc disease). Though each of our journeys are unique, Robin, there is so much hope. I want you to remember despite what is right in front of you, Wanda and your family, ALL things are truly possible. Know that you will be in my continued thoughts and prayers!

Holly

robinettekelly

Postby robinettekelly » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:52 am

thank you everyone. I have so many questions, sounds like those of you who are stage IV, and even those who are not know lots about your disease. I think maybe the doc is handling Wanda's situation differently due to the family situation...but I am wondering if I might can start asking questions like I normally would. Can I start a new thread for you guys to help me out? Also, for advice for me to ask him? I'll fill you in on everything so far? Or, am I being too bold?
She is on:
5-Fluorouracil: 5-FU
Leucovorin: LV
Irinotecan (Camptosar)
Her cancer was in most of her colon so they removed it and gave her a colostomy bag. The sugeon has said t may be reversable in the future (if she remains cancer-free for one year. When he went in during surgery, the cancer had spread throughout her abdomen and into her ovarian wall. That's really all the info they have given us, we haven't seen any scans or results, just what they have told us. Now, it appears to have gone into her lymph node in her neck.
The doc is pretty vague at each appointment...he'll say that her numbers look good, time for your next treatment. She had the pet scan after her first couple months of chemo, he told us that the scans looks good, so no need to change chemo, we would keep going with the same drugs...that's about it. So we came away with thinking the cancer was going away? I try to question him, and not read into what he is saying, but Wanda's mom will make up stuff. She will say stuff like "He said the cancer is shrinking, he said it's going away", stuff like that, when he didn't say it. OK, now I'm venting again... :) I guess we really need to start questioning him, but it's hard when I'm trying to get Wanda to ask the questions, and keep Mom on track...
So, My new thread...Stage IV Questions? What should I title it so you guys can help me? Guess I can just start one, huh?

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:08 am

Robinette,

I would encourage you to ask lots of questions I am pleased to see that you have introduced Wanda to the Colon Club. It is my hope that this forum with provide you and Wanda encouragement, inspiration and love as it has me over the past year!

Regarding questions, ask away and you can do so in any way that makes you feel confortable!

Holly

Tammy figg

Postby Tammy figg » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:54 am

Just wanted to post that during this hectic time, question everything. I did see that you mentioned that the family is poor. I run a foundation set up to help patients, www.figgtree.com. Please check it out to see if we can help in anyway so she can focus on her recovery. I am a Stage III survivior, diganosed at 27.

Doctors are quick to say it's rare in younger folks, but I feel it's more common than we know b/c we don't screen for it young enough. I would be happy to be a source of support if needed. My e-mail is figgtree@hotmail.com.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”