got a scope, taking lots of teasing from friends...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
colonator

got a scope, taking lots of teasing from friends...

Postby colonator » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:01 pm

Hi all,
I am 34 and have been having about 6-7 months of abdominal pain, on and off constipation, and some blood in stools (though I suspect one reddish stool was actually the result of eating 6 pink frosted cupcakes and little else one day during midterms - oops)

Anyway, this week I finally got my colonoscopy and was relieved that the doc found nothing but a little inflammation near my rectum (far from the area where I had been having pain) that he suspects was from the prep. (biospy results in another week or so). The thing that sucks is that almost all of my friends, many of them nursing students, think I am absolutley ridiculous for getting a scope at my age and make endless fun of me for thinking I might have colon cancer. I've repeatedly told them that while not common, colon cancer isn't as rare in people under 40 as they might think. I guess I am venting here because they make me out to be a freak, and I know you all will understand :) In fact, it has been the urging and courage I've seen on this board that led me to the decision to face my fears and find the money to get the scope in the first place.

I was a little concerned because my colon wasn't as clean during the scope as I had hoped, despite my best prep efforts. The doc assured me he was able to irrigate and visualize just fine as he went. I watched and it seemed like he was, but it is hard to remember too well because of the drug haze.

Anyway, just venting/sharing.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:56 am

Colonator,

You Rock! Yeah, thats right, You Rock!

I encourage you to purchase the 2007 Colondar and have each of your friends take a peek see.

Holly

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Good Job

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:04 am

I was 36 when I had surgery on 12/6/06. Check out the 2007 Colondar, the women from March, December and the cover all have smoking.......personalities!
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

ooops

Postby Edward » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:05 am

Ooooops, surgery was 12/6/2002.
Livestrong,

Edward

Colon Cancer Class of 2002

http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:28 pm

My son is 19 I had it and my mom had it, I wish I could get insurance to pay for it and I would have him get scoped. My DR says he would also do it just for peace of mind if his insurance would cover it. As someone else dais read the stoiries about the people in the Colondar you were doing the smartest thing you could do. Tell the naysayers that it never hurts to be concerned about your own health and remind them that that is why they are students, real professionals know better. I know becasue I am a pharmacist and would never downplay anyones disease.

Thelma

Postby Thelma » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm

Fight the ins. co. on this! Have your primary care physician write them a letter stating family history and they may ok it! I had to do this even though I was 50 yrs.old! My Mother nad Grandmother died from colon cancer and my 33 yr.old son,Chad, at that time was newly diagnosed with stage IV! When they refused to pay for mine and I called them-they told me it was routine-I said routine my butt and explained! My doctor wrote letter and they covered 100%! My daughter who was 27 at the time had no problems having hers paid by ins.So if there is any family history give it a try!
As for friends,making fun............and nursing students at that-lead them to this wonderful, informative group of people!
Thelma

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”