male fertility post-chemo (kinda delicate post)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ketel

male fertility post-chemo (kinda delicate post)

Postby ketel » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi gang,

Anyone out there know much about chemo effects on male fertility. I'm 41 and heading into chemo in the next 1-2 weeks. I am not a father but contemplate becoming one in the next few years and am curious about whether any other men on this board has conceived post-chemo and run into any fertility problems, bad sperm issues, etc.

Most are recommending banking sperm. Sounds like a sensible precaution but it is very expensive ($2K or so) and takes several weeks of "deposits" to be effective which would put off my chemo by several weeks. One can only bank it every 2-3 days and ideally one should bank 6 deposits per child. If you do the math that would mean I would need to put off chemo at least three weeks so as to have enough time to set aside enough sperm for two children.

I am debating not banking sperm and taking my chances. Thoughts? Suggestions?

thanks,

ketel

Dana

Delicate matter

Postby Dana » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:33 am

Hello ketel,

Yes it is a delicate matter.
What I can tell you is that when my husband had thyroid cancer (1997) the onchologist told us that maybe he should have banked some sperm as probably he wouldn't have been able to have children. He couldn't postpone his chemotheraphy any longer because it had taken ages to book the appointment so we decided not to bank. We already had a baby daughter who was a little miracle herself (born 27 wks weighing 730grams) and I had been advised not to have any more....
Well in 2000 my healthy son was born.
I don't think we can help you as every case is different. My husband underwent radiotheraphy and a bland chemo (2 cycles).
Colon cancer is treated differently. Of course chemo has changed so much in the past 10 years.
You haven't got any children and maybe you would regret not having banked sperm one day!
But then your life is so important. What risks are you taking if you postpone chemo?
Maybe you could bank just enough before starting chemo without delaying chemo.
I wish you all the best
Dana

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”