11mm nodule on CT

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wdt

11mm nodule on CT

Postby wdt » Mon May 18, 2009 11:57 am

My husband just got his CT results today. They had identified a 7mm nodule on his previous 2 CT's and have followed up at 3 and 4 month intervals, but it had not grown and it had characteristics of a granuloma or plug. Today, it was 11 mm and he is going for a PET this Wednesday and has an appointment with a Thoracic surgeon. The onclologist said it was located in the Rt lower lobe, so it would likely be ammenable to removal via the thoracascope. That's about all we know right now.

Keep him in your prayers - wdt
Hubby diag Nov 2006 at 43 Stage III rectal cancer, 3/12 nodes T2N1M0
LAR 12/07 Radiation and chemo Xeloda and Oxaliplatin (finished 10/07)
06/2009 lung mets; 2 lobes of rt lung removed,
11/2009 Oxaliplatin reaction; on to Irenotecan

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Re: 11mm nodule on CT

Postby betsydoglover » Mon May 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi WDT -

I just (4/17) had a 9x13mm nodule removed from my lower right lobe via thoracoscopy. (My nodule was deep inside the lobe and had to be tagged with nuclear medicine material via CT guided "biopsy" so that the surgeon could scan and go for the hot spot during surgery.) Feel free to PM me if this becomes necessary for your husband and I can share more of my experience.

The first 24 hours post surgery wasn't fun (but it never is), but as surgery goes this was pretty easy. Two weeks after surgery I was back working in the yard!

My nodule had been stable over 3 scans (4.5 months), but we decided to go for it if it didn't shrink and it's a good thing we did since it did turn out to be a colorectal met, although obviously not terribly aggressive. Glad to have it gone now. With any luck your husband won't need this surgery, but please know it probably won't be a bad surgical experience if it is necessary.

Take care,
Betsy
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

wdt

Re: 11mm nodule on CT

Postby wdt » Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 am

Betsy, thank you so much for your response. And I will PM you once we know exactly what comes next. His PET is tomorrow, but regardless of whether it lights up or not, they will proceed with the surgery. I am so glad to hear that overall it was not a horrible post op recouperation for you - my husband loves to play golf and jog on the treadmill...I have been just sick over the possibility that he would not be able to do those things - at least in the interim - but your post gives me hope that he can bounce back, he just might not have much of a golf season this year.

Again, thanks. I will be in touch.
wdt
Hubby diag Nov 2006 at 43 Stage III rectal cancer, 3/12 nodes T2N1M0
LAR 12/07 Radiation and chemo Xeloda and Oxaliplatin (finished 10/07)
06/2009 lung mets; 2 lobes of rt lung removed,
11/2009 Oxaliplatin reaction; on to Irenotecan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”