Port out

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
meighan

Port out

Postby meighan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 am

Well with chemo behind him and a clear scan my husband yesterday got his port out........no longer part of the matrix :D I know some people keep theirs in a little longer but our one year old loved to try to get it and seemed to head butt it on a regular basis so he is thrilled to have it out and be able to tickle her freely without worry. One thing i have to share because i find him so remarkable this way, when the doctor went to pull it out and asked if it was hurting he winced and yelled out. Well the doctor said sorry and he said oh i was just kidding, luckily the doctor laughed and he told me when he got home "I don't know what makes me want to play with a guy holding a knife at me" This has been his journey but i have been so honored to be part of it with him, just needed to share the kinda guy he has been through this all............

blanca

Postby blanca » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:28 pm

Meighan,
Congratulations to your husband for finally getting the port out. I had mine in for over a year and it was a little painful even a small nudge would hurt. My previous scans have all came back normal and I pray that I will never need a port again.
Stage III dx July 2005. Surgery in November 2005, port out, 2nd P.E.T scan normal-October 2006

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:48 am

Oh Meighan,

Your husband sounds like a riot - I am sitting here at the computer cracking up! So glad the cancer and chemo didn't take away his humor, or yours!

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:40 pm

My port's been in a little over seven months. It's getting sore. When anything bumps or brushes the site I jump out of my skin. I don't need it for Avastin, so it's coming out next week. One more step away from the "patient" role. Feels good, doesn't it? I find the transition a bit scary, but very, very exciting.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”