rectal spasms - tenesmus?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pearlgirl

rectal spasms - tenesmus?

Postby pearlgirl » Sun May 17, 2009 2:02 pm

Okay, from searching this forum for "rectal spasms", looking for some remedy that might help B get relief from the constant feeling of having to "go" following his ostomy reversal, I came upon the term "tenesmus", which seems to fit what is going on with him. However, I can't find information on how to treat it. Even googling the term only brings up articles about finding the cause of it, not how to treat post-surgical tenesmus.

Has anyone been prescribed medications that have helped? He has tried sitz baths, low-dose Xanax, adding fiber... Any other suggestions?
Husband DX CC (T2N0M0) 9/06
LAR 9/06
Recurrence, now CRC 1/08
chemo/rad, 6 weeks, ended 5/2/08
2nd LAR/ temp ileo 6/19/08,
8/4/08> 6 months chemo
ileo reversal 4/09, in remission

ed_colon

Re: rectal spasms - tenesmus?

Postby ed_colon » Sun May 17, 2009 2:03 pm

imodum can help by making bowel movements less frequent and more solid

Postby Guest » Sun May 17, 2009 3:13 pm

I've had a couple of rectal spasms since surgery and they where painful to the point I compared them to the pain at labor only the location was different. My surgeon didn't have any proper ideas what to do. My oncologist told me there was a surgeon who treated the spasms with corticosteroids. Did not use them.
I've found myself the spasms occured when I was constipated and they got worse if I felt irritated and nervous. I tried xanax but it didn't helped.
When the spasms started I went into a peaceful quiet room and relaxed. The spasms didn't escalate and they ended sooner.
I haven't had any for half a year now and they are a mistery to me.

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sun May 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Immodium is, as far as I've read, the *last* thing B. would need.
Pearlgirl, have they tried morphine? Or Methadone?
There's some research that oral methadone relaxes the constant spasming in the colon sufficiently so that the tenesmus is relieved, even in patients who can't tolerate the morphine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11305071
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

pearlgirl

Postby pearlgirl » Sun May 17, 2009 4:26 pm

He doesn't have pain so much as constant pressure and occasional, uncomfortable muscle spasms. Morphine has not been an effective pain reliever for him, but methadone is a possibility we can look into.
LAR 9/06
Recurrence, now CRC 1/08
8/4/08> 6 months chemo

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sun May 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Actually, that's the perfect reason to request the methadone--because the morphine hasn't been effective. I believe that was the whole focus of the trial I linked.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

momsCancer

Postby momsCancer » Mon May 18, 2009 2:33 pm

My mom had rectal spasms from radiation. She had the continual urge to go and alot of pain. We were prescribed proctofoam. It is injected and immediately relieves spasm. I don't know how she would have made it through without it.
MOM has Stage 2 Anal Cancer on chemo (5-FU and Mitomycin-C) for 6 weeks. Looking to vent and give/receive support. My blog address is;

www.onecrazeemommy.blogspot.com

I should change the name to one crazee daughter, I think.

pearlgirl

Postby pearlgirl » Mon May 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I am leery of Proctofoam because it is a steroid, which can thin the skin, and he has internal radiation damage. :(
LAR 9/06
Recurrence, now CRC 1/08
8/4/08> 6 months chemo

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon May 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Don't be too shy about steroids, my rad onco gave me some low dose cortisone suppositories at the end of chemoradiation...so check with the docs before avoiding it completely, if they think healing has progressed well enough along, so far ??

Also had similar symptoms / sensations post takedown, but no severe pain or involuntary spasm as I recall. It will get better with time, so the methadone sounds interesting to tide you (him) over.

(( side note : recent use of oral methadone for analgesia in pets as well !!! ))

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Tom Whelan

Postby Tom Whelan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

I had my rectum removed 3 months ago (massive polyps) and my colon was looped to use as the "new" rectum. During the 3 months with the ileostomy bag I had involuntary discharges of mucus from my "new rectum". The doctor said this was normal and that the mucus is normally discharged with a bowel movement. Since the reversal of the ileostomy I am still have involuntary discharges. It is painful, I squeeze to try to stop it (and I do exercises everyday with sphincter muscle) but I cannot stop it. So before the reversal I had to deal with the mucus discharge and now its either diarrhea or a hard stool (sometimes combined with gas) that is being involuntarily discharged, its been 6 weeks. Some nights I'm up the entire night dealing with toilet paper and stools. Depending on the consistentcy of the stools will depend upon whether I am bleeding or on fire . Does anyone else have this? Please help!!!

Polarprincess

Postby Polarprincess » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:43 pm

my doctor prescribed me a compound of amitryptiline(an antidepressant which helps block nerve endings, and baclofen (muscle relaxer) which was applied locally and helped immensely.
42 y/o Diagnosed Stage IIIa (T1 N1 of 26 M0) July 2008
LAR July 24 2008
Supposedly benign polyp with
invasive tubulovillous adenocarcinoma
12 cycles Fulfox
28 days chemoradiation
Finished April 20th 2009
Currently NED

jules10100

Postby jules10100 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I had spasms so bad that my surgeon recommended Botox so help with the spasms. It did help but your insurance would have to approve. It was done at the same time as my resection. Actually I've had it done 3 times. It figures, my friend fights wrinkles on her face with it and I only get to use it on my butt!!

Botox". Not just for facial wrinkles anymore!
RC resection 06/07 xeloda, radiation, folfox
Stage IV Lung and Liver Mets 11/08 res
Folfiri & Avas 09
2/10 lung spots Irr.Erb
Next Vectibix
Irr, Erb and Avas. for Lung spots 4/11
Folfirinox
Clinical trial Nov 11. Brain mets
Option for Chemo unknown

KellyBelle
Facebook Username: Kelly Davis Keeling

Postby KellyBelle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:51 am

I had terrible rectal spasms for several months after surgery and my doc prescribed LidaZone HC Cream. It's a suppository analgesic that worked wonders for me... this does get better, and I haven't had to use any in a very long time (except for the one time I ate popcorn).

Kelly
Diagnosed March, 2008
Stage IIIC
Colo-Anal Reconstructive Surgery April, 2008
Finished Folfox treatment November, 2008
NED! December 2008
NED! December 2011

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.
~Grandma Moses

meeko

Postby meeko » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 pm

I still have them on days when I have to go alot and i sit/lay on the heating pad! Helps me relax and then the spasms subside...they can be painful and make you a bit nauseous...blech
rectal cancer 9/08
LAR 10/1/08
2nd surgery for peritonitis and abcess 10/08/08 w/ temp ileo
stage 2A (t3) N0/16 M0
total of 8 rounds of 5fu/Leucovoran-- 5/09
Reversal and Hysterectomy 10/09/09
Married, 2 daughters
So far ..so Good!

Endo girl

Postby Endo girl » Mon May 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I thought I was the only one suffering from tenesmus. I hope no one minds my barging in on this topic. I do no have rectal cancer but I'm 10 months post bowel resection. Im told they removed only the last 6 inches of my sigmoid colon due to extensive endo on the bowels. I have had rectal nodules removed in a previous surgery 7 years ago. Recovery has been torturous and filled with many hours in the bathroom. Initially, I was going 20-30 times a day after surgery. That rate declined through January until I wasn't going at all. Then, I started taking Miralax and finally going again but not able to find the right balance of the powder that doesnt send me into the bathroom 10 times a day.

So, the biggest pain in the azz I have right now is literally, the pain in the rectum. The rectal spasms are so distressing and unbelievably uncomfortable and annoying. I'm seeing a new colo-rectal surgeon in June to have him do a colonscopy. I'm so at a loss and just want to get back to normal!

Thanks
Colon Girl

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”