rectal spasms - tenesmus?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
nicola smith

Re: rectal spasms - tenesmus?

Postby nicola smith » Mon May 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Rectal Spasm following reversal is quite normal. There's even a j-pouch vlog that explains it quite well although it doesn't offer remedies except to say that it goes away eventually

http://ucvlog.com/2009/10/19/j-pouch-spasms/

About a week or so after my j-pouch was made operational, I started having a lot of these spasms and they were, er, gut-wrenching. Now I only get them at night (grrr), usually after I have fallen off my MD Anderson bowel management regime. I find a mild sedative makes them go away.

Staying on the MD Anderson regime seems to be the key for me. Metamucil is my new best friend.
[url]
http://www2.mdanderson.org/app/pe/index ... c&docid=34[/url]

Hope this helps
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Postby Nickmark59 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:04 am

Mr surgeon prescribed Codine Sulfate for when spasms get out of control and it works well.

also in a pinch oxycodine works.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 am

I had diarrhea during the initial two months after ileostomy reversal and was helped by imodium, a few glasses of hot tea daily, eating light meals emphasizing the BRAT foods: bananas, rice, applesauce and white toast. Also: in recent years, I have been getting rectal spasms every few months which produce severe sharp pain, but is NOT related to diarrhea for me. All I can do to help is to pound on my rectal area with my fist. This will relieve the pain to some extent. Fortunately, the spasm disappears in about 15 minutes and doesn't come again for about 6 months.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

eitter

Postby eitter » Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 am

I used to get them all the time but have not had one in over a year, knock on wood! But I have two wonder items that got me through them:

First SOMA - the best muscle relaxer I have found, LOVE IT!
Then some rectal suppositories called Canasa and these worked wonders!

When I had the Spasms they were really bad, really really bad and the above two items worked!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

M flo

Postby M flo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

I have had these rectal spazams for years and i know 2 things about them one is that they are a cramp and you can watch what foods you eat the day you have one and try to not eat those foods 2 if i get one i focus on relaxing and they go away the way i learned about this is when i get a leg cramp i lay there and not fight the pain and it will back off sounds simple but it works for me

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:49 pm

These drove me near crazy after my reversal - I had no pain, but the urge to go constantly that I couldnt relieve was incredibly frustrating. I have even substantially worsened inguinal hernias to the point of those needing immediate surgery by sitting on the toilet for ours trying to push out something that wasnt there. I spent weeks doing this thinking I was constipated before the penny dropped.

For me, simple ibuprofen helps enormously, although at six months out, I'm not having much problem with this anymore. Certainly no need to go anywhere near steroids, heavy duty painkillers or things like methadone in my case, just a simple anti inflammatory would calm things down enough to provide a bit of relief - once I realised what it actually was. For me it really peaked at the 3/4 month mark, those were the hardest months for me.

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 am

For a few months following my ileostomy reversal I suffered from daily diarrhea requiring multiple trips to the john, and every 2-3 weeks I would have an episode of painful muscle spasm in the rectal area. For me, they were separate issues with separate remedies. For the diarrhea, I was helped with immodium, a low-fiber diet, calcium supplements and multiple glasses of tea (the latter two have some constipating properties). Occasionally, I added percoset which has value for diarrhea because of the oxycontin it contains. For the occasional spasm pain, I would use my fist and punch the rectal area, and I added an extra dose of percoset if the pain could not be reduced. Exercise usually helped also, but I would check with your doctor to be safe. Spasms could have varying causes requiring differing remedies and you don't want to do anything harmful.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Postby Nickmark59 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm

I was prescribed Codeine Sulfate when I get those attacks/ spasms and it helps .

I only need it 1-2 times a week mostly colder weather or when I am bending down a lot on a job.

I had to fix a fire alarm on a river tow boat this morning that's getting inspected and it was 6 degrees and 20 mph winds out on the boat deck so I took a pill before I left home as a precaution and it did the trick. Having to hike up 50 ft icy steel stair case to use a Porta Potty on shore when it is 6 degrees out is no fun. Let alone doing it with layers of clothing on.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Doc prescribed Soma for me. It's a muscle relaxer and it worked fairly well. Be sure and take a stool softener and drink LOTS of fluid 'cause Soma will also relax the bowel muscles.
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

bhwillia

Postby bhwillia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:28 am

Tylenol suppositories, Lidocaine 4% gel, or diltiazem cream...good results with these

endo queen

Postby endo queen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:20 pm

I had the same situation as endo girl. When I was 33 I was called by my Dr. the Queen of Endo. I had complete hyst, colon resection, appendectomy and surgery on other organs to remove endo. After surgery, it was horrrible, I was going 40 times a day. I started having spasms soon after but was maybe once every 6 mths. Now it is often. I am seeing a gastro neurologist that has me on a low tyramine diet. I am still having them. He prescribed colonapin (spelling?) small doses daily with vitamins, olive oil and low dose of antihistamine. I am miserable and do not know how much more I can take. I also have morphine supp but they dont even stop it. Heating pad helps and baths but I work and cant do that when working. I also find that I have a flare up when I get constipated. I have IBS which used to be with diareah then after surgery now its constipation. When I am having a flare up it goes in stages, it feels like there is a open wound and someone is pouring alchohol in it, then every time I have to urinate I have spasms. The pressure feels unreal. I feel like I am having a baby from my bottom. Any suggestions and advise. Signed, cant take it anymore!

eitter

Postby eitter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:54 pm

To Colon Girl,

I just had spasms again last week after my colonoscopy and also a scope of my rectal stump which caused the spasms! What helps me is sitting on a heating pad and also a pill called Soma which is muscle relaxer and then throw in a few Oxy's.

Good Luck!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

endo queen

Postby endo queen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:59 pm

eitter wrote:To Colon Girl,

I just had spasms again last week after my colonoscopy and also a scope of my rectal stump which caused the spasms! What helps me is sitting on a heating pad and also a pill called Soma which is muscle relaxer and then throw in a few Oxy's.

Good Luck!

I do not want to be a zombie if I take all those meds I could not go to work, right? At first the morphine/belladonna supp worked good but now they dont even stop them. I am hearing about botox but no dr. has ever suggested and I do not know if someone in my area even does that? It is happening about every couple months now. It is the worst pain ever!

luvmymom

Postby luvmymom » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm

momsCancer wrote:My mom had rectal spasms from radiation. She had the continual urge to go and alot of pain. We were prescribed proctofoam. It is injected and immediately relieves spasm. I don't know how she would have made it through without it.

My mom too--after radiation too--and she got ProctoFoam too. I think it helped some.
Last edited by luvmymom on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daughter of mom dx @ 68, Stage IIIB (T3N1) rectal.
Colonoscopy 11/19/12. Dx adenocarcinoma 11/28/12.
LAR 1/2/13. Port 2/4/13.
2-7/13: FOLFOX6 (4x). Xeloda+radiation (28x). FOLFOX6 (4 tx).
9/25/13--1st CT post-tx. NED.
http://sunrainlilies.wordpress.com/

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I read all of the posts and the one thing I have not yet seen is PT. I don't want to diminish the discomfort people are having, but I did get relief for my rectal area pain before my reversal with PT. I actually delayed my reversal while I was getting PT (through my vagina) and I'm glad I did. It was quite helpful and I also got some more relief after I went on a run recently - to the point where sitting is not as painful as it used to be. Before the run I couldn't sit for more than about 45 min before I was very uncomfortable. Not sure what the run did, but I'm thankful.
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”