It's All in the Choice of Words

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
meighan

Postby meighan » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:34 am

First off this post has made me giggle, no laugh out loud like no other :D :D I also sympathize with those who struggle with the survivorship title, just a thought is it maybe we need to focus on the person, the journey and these words don't do it...... like instead of "lost the battle" maybe "survived for x amount of years"???....... but in the end does it matter, it is the people who know you the people who love you that already know this about you..............and well the others .....who cares???? I struggle with having a casual conversation at work about what we have gone through because nothing you can say in that few minutes in a hallway sums up my family, my husband, or this life altering experience................ .in the end i share with just my close friends my family and you guys at the colon club and lets face it we already get it. As for teaching the masses well they have to be receptive otherwise it is exhausting.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:28 am

You know what else has always bothered me? "Sufferer" People use that term like it's their occupation or something. And they us it for EVERYTHING!!!!!! One of ex-swains used to call me a headache CARRIER. I didn't get them, I just caused them in others.

I invite you all to take a peek at the "Beautiful Words" thread. I just saw it last night and forwarded the link to everyone I know.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”