My blood sucks 5 mo out!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jen

My blood sucks 5 mo out!

Postby Jen » Fri May 08, 2009 4:34 pm

I've been in a downer mood for the past 2 days since my wed. appt.
I had a general checkup with my onc. and I am waiting for my CEA read.
They flushed my port and did my metabolic blood panel and I had a bunch of lows and double lows. it was barely better than when I ended chemo in Dec.
I've been believing my blood was so much better, but my whites, reds, and plateletts suck. And I'm anemic
My onc says it is taking a while because of the radiation and that my marrow can take up to a year to recover.
Here I am exercising like a mad woman, eating crazy healthy, and believing that I have healed immensely...well it is extremely slow going on paper. I guess the saying "you are as good as you feel" or however the saying goes (I detroy cliches...I always get them wrong :wink: ) is what matters because I was believing I had come further and I was happy about that. Anyway, seeing my results slapped me in the face and made me feel like I was kidding myself thinking I was getting fit, building strong bones and muscles...I guess I still am, but how can my cells be cancer warriors if they are doing so poorly? I feel like I am ungaurded for whatever can hit me next. It just reminded me that this cancer thing is such a cellular level and that always frightens me.
My onc isn't concerned because he says things are creeping in the right direction. now it makes me think my CEA level is going to freak me out.
Gotta try to clear my mind and focus on health again.
Anyone take a while to have good blood results after chemo...is this really normal?
2008 March 37th Bday DX :( T3N2M0
3C Rectal Cancer, 5cm tumor, 4/33 nodes positive
28 tx IMRT Radiation, 12 tx Folfox, 1 month Xeloda
5 years NED 3/14/2013!

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: My blood sucks 5 mo out!

Postby NWgirl » Fri May 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Jen - look at it from this perspective - what if you weren't living such a healthy lifestyle? Can you imagine what your blood work might be like then? Do you feel good? Are you enjoying life with your husband and son? Use those as measurements of good health - not just a bunch of numbers from a laboratory. I have no idea what my blood work looks like. My oncologist has never mentioned it as being problematic and I've never asked. I know this goes against what lots of people on this forum believe - that you need copies of all tests, etc. - but it just doesn't work for me. The more I know the more I tend to obsessively worry.

I know I still get tired way too easily. I know I'm still adjusting to my "new plumbing" which really sucks. And don't even get me started on the radiation damage issues! But I also know I'm doing tons of things this year that I couldn't do last year because I was going through treatment. I know it will continue to take time for my body to heal and for me to mentally adjust to the "new me".

For what it's worth your posts really inspire me. Train for a half marathon? Heck, I get tired after 45 minutes of mild cardio at the Y! Eating healthy? I'm just trying to figure out what I can eat to avoid spending half the night in the bathroom! I think you're doing great and I bet your family does too. Of course all the tests are important and are absolutely necessary. Just don't let them get you down. Just keep doing what you're doing - you'll get to where you want to be - it just takes time. You've been through a lot.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat May 09, 2009 2:19 pm

I am still low lymphocytes (but heading to normal) 2 years after last chemoradiation and 18 months after last Xeloda chemo. Rest is all normal but took time, and Xeloda is not overly tough on the blood.

Have they checked your iron / ferritin / B vitamin level etc. ????? make sure they are up to speed with other things which can impact blood values. My medical oncologist is also a board certified Hematologist, but I don't know how specific other med oncos are about these things ??? Any supplements or other meds ?? nutritional items ?? could also check out a nutritionist for support ?

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

wdt

Postby wdt » Mon May 11, 2009 2:50 pm

Same thing with my husband. He is 18 months out from chemo and radiation (Xeloda and Oxaliplatin) and his white count has never returned to normal. He's also still a bit anemic as well. The Onc. checked his B12, ferritin, etc and has had him on B12 (started with injections, now doing sublingual pills).
Hubby diag Nov 2006 at 43 Stage III rectal cancer, 3/12 nodes T2N1M0
LAR 12/07 Radiation and chemo Xeloda and Oxaliplatin (finished 10/07)
06/2009 lung mets; 2 lobes of rt lung removed,
11/2009 Oxaliplatin reaction; on to Irenotecan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”