Chronic Coughing - HELP!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
musiclover

Chronic Coughing - HELP!!

Postby musiclover » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:16 am

Has anyone had ridiculous coughing as a side effect of cancer? My friend has stage IV rectal with mets to liver and lungs. This weeks-long coughing is getting worse and I'm not having much luck with the doctors who keep saying it is a sinus infection or just a cold. I would think a sinus infection would go away with antibiotics. Any suggestions on what to take to get on top of this would be appreciated. Cough medicine is out (can't take with "excessive phlem"), cough drops do nothing, he's drinking tons of water and green tea. Thanks!

KLB

Coughing

Postby KLB » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:48 am

There is a nasty cough/cold going around this season. I am at the end of it and it has been 3-4 weeks of lots of coughing.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:57 am

Thanks KLB. Whatever it is, the won't put him back on chemo until it clears up. Second round of antibiotics after being in emergency room for super high fever.

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Coughing

Postby Edward » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:11 am

I am going on two weeks of coughing.....the funny thing is my kids aren't sick. :?:
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:27 pm

I am not sure what you mean by excessive phlem. If you have a lot of phlem and it is thick ( I think that's what you are saying) then a "cough syrup" may be exactly what you need. Get some plain Robitussin or a tablet called Mucinex they are what are termed expectorants and what they do is thin secretions like phelm through out the body so you can spit them up. AND contarary to what many of us have been taught you DO TAKE THEM WITH PLENTY OF WATER. If you want someting to help STOP the cough then you need a cough suppressant like dextromethorphan or codeine. Codeine needs a prescription so you need to see the doc for that BUT dextromethorphan doesn't. When you look at the Robitussin or Mucinex you will the plain versions and one labeled DM that one has the cough suppressant in it. There are various debates about stopping the cogh with a suppressant vs. using just an expectorant but that is other discussion

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”