Bradyr enters hospice

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sharonr

Bradyr enters hospice

Postby sharonr » Wed May 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Well we have made the decision to start hospice for Brady. We will be staying at home. A hospital bed down stairs since he no longer is able to climb the stairs. He has fallen three times, the siezures causing the weakness in his right side and add that to the tumor in the left leg and you get a very unsturdy individual. They are monitoring his dilantin levels for seizures and we seem to be doing ok right now. Pain is an issue between just normal pain and that of falling. This was a very difficult decision to make. He has had 1 1/2 ensures as his only food since Friday and drinks about 16 to 24 ounces of fluids a day since Friday. He is dwindling fast. Prayers for the control of his pain and for him to have peace are welcome. He has fought a tough fight and still is giving it his best. He was given the great honor of having a 15,000 donation in his name given to the Pacific Northwest Ballet Scholarships for his work with the non profit. I was so happy he was still around to see the honor.

Again thanks to everyone for their prayers and I ask that you keep them coming
Bradyr's wife
DX 2/07 mets liver/bone/brain/spleen
Foxfox/avastin 3-6/07
xedada 9-7/07
Folfri 1-6/07
GammaKnife brain lesion 1/08
SIRT Spheres rlobe 7/08 llobe 8/08
cyberknife brain 10/08
Brain surgery 1/09
Vebctibix 1-4/09
Passed Away 5/21/2009

CRguy

Re: Bradyr enters hospice

Postby CRguy » Wed May 06, 2009 10:51 pm

There is a certain dignity and nobility in the human spirit. It transcends our physical realm and defines us in the minds of others. It marks our place in history, in time and in this universe.

When we see this in others, we know we have been touched in a way that will change us forever.

Brady, you touch us all in just such a way.

In Peace, Love and Harmony
In our prayers and our hearts.

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

DaughterofatoughSOB

Postby DaughterofatoughSOB » Wed May 06, 2009 10:56 pm

I am so sorry to hear this about the "father" of this club. I will certainly miss his remarkable knowledge and attitude that he shed onto so many people on the board. I will pray my prayers for him and for your family, for a peaceful departure and for his eternal life in heaven. God Bless you and thank you for taking the time to post as I am sure it takes all you have to leave him even for an minute.

Kaitlyn

kateinorlando

Postby kateinorlando » Wed May 06, 2009 11:10 pm

My prayers will remain with Brady and you, Sharon.
Stage IIIC Small Bowel Cancer - dx March 2008
Resection - April 2008
1 of 2 nodes positive + lung met
1x Folfox; 6x Xeloda

grammyto4

Postby grammyto4 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Sharon and Brady - You both have been on my prayer list for awhile, I will say a special prayer this evening. You have both made such a difference in the lives of so many, there is no way you can know how many lives you have touched. My wish is that some of the love, support, and encouragement you have given others comes back to you at this time, tenfold.

I am blessed to have met you both through the colon club. May you have special, lucid moments to express your love for each other.

Tina
Age 49 Dx 1-07 Perm colostomy
Stage 3C 17/19 LN+
Folfox x 4 31 rad tx c Xeloda 4 tx Oxi & Xeloda; tx comp 12-07

4-09 recurrance in abd; sacral
8-09 Approved for HIPEC (unable to complete HIPEC)
12-09 Folfiri x 12 add Avastin 3rd tx
12-09 Cyberknife

beachmom

Postby beachmom » Wed May 06, 2009 11:25 pm

Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear this, although I don't think any of us are surprised. Brady certainly gave his everything against this dreadful disease. How lucky he is to have you right beside him all the way. May he always live on in your heart. I wish you strength and peace to get through these trying days. Susan
dx 10/07 Stage III Rectal Cancer
30 rds. rad. 6 rounds oxy and xeloda
LAR 1/08 temp ileostomy
3 rounds oxy and xeloda
Ileo takedown 9/08
dx Stage IV 11/08 2 liver mets. chemo 6 rds.
Liver resection 3/09 new mets 9/09 2nd resection 9/10 new mets 12/10

brady's sisters Patt and Kim

Postby brady's sisters Patt and Kim » Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 pm

A Novena to Blessed Francis X. Seelos has been started for Brady this evening along with Our Lady of Perpetual Help for their intercession in guiding Brady peacefully and painlessly through this next journey.

wamo

Postby wamo » Thu May 07, 2009 12:08 am

Oh Sharon/Brady my heart is so heavy for you both and your loved ones right now. What an incredible honor of a donation and I totally get what you are saying it is so good that he got to know that occurred. Hospice will guide you well... you do become nurse Sharon with help but they will guide you and you can call them 24/7 with any question.

Also, I believe you followed Paul's caringbridge site when we were in the thick of it... but watch his swallowing capabilities. The ensures may need to start being watered down at some point if he seems to tire drinking them with the thickness. Also this is very important..... watch his swallowing abilities overall. If he coughs when drinking or taking any meds that is a sign that the right side of his mouth, tongue, throat are not responding well. Pills may need to be crushed up and mixed with liquid morphine and given in dropper form there are also lots of suppositories they can do for alot of the meds too. Instead of Dilantin and the other seizure med (which I can never seem to remember the name of that one) he would get valium and halidol in suppository forms instead. The swallowing is a key issue because once that cough comes they can easily not swallow right and aspirate which is having whatever they are trying to swallow go directly into their lungs which I hear is pretty miserable for those that have it happen. There came a time when it wasn't even safe to let Paul have liquids for this reason. He survived 8 days without water... I had a hard time with that because he was thirsty but we couldn't let him drink.... some then do hydration IVs but all of the hospice literature will tell you that can cause uncomfortable swelling in legs, abdomen and chest and only prolongs the body's shutting down process.

Oh God I so know what you are going through and how incredibly difficult and emotionally cutting this time is.
All my love,
Wendy (wamo)
Hubby-9-05 IIIC Rectal 4/11nodes 40yrs*1-06 LAR FOLFOX *6-07 Mets Lungs-FOLFIRI,Erbitux,Avastin *5-08 Skull met *9-08 ClinTrial EPO906+Celebrex *mets liver,kidneys,adrenal gld *WBRT brain mets *1-09 Gemzar/Xeloda ***2-25-09 Paul entered Heaven's gates.

kimby

Postby kimby » Thu May 07, 2009 12:27 am

You are both held in high esteem and with great respect. Prayers to you both and your entire family.

Kimby
DX colon canzer 8/07 age 43
Endometrial Cancer 3/03 age 39
FOLFOX 10/07,Folfiri w/Erbitux 9/08,Mitomycin/Avastin/Xeloda 1/09, external beam liver radiation 2/09-3/09,LN 8/09
mets: liver/celiac LN
Outwit. Outplay. Outlast!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Thu May 07, 2009 1:17 am

You and Brady are in my prayers. I posted a new topic that today is national prayer day. I will pray many times today that Brady is pain free and feels at peace. I will also pray for you to have the strength you need emotionally and physically.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 am

Sharon

I simply cannot put words together to express how I feel about this news.

All my love.

jA
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Thu May 07, 2009 5:36 am

Sharon, I posted this in the other thread, but know that you are both always in my strongest thoughts.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:21 am

Sharon I am so sorry. You both fought so hard, and I am so sad. Brady will be meeting all our fallen friends in person, and that makes me happy. Such great people on here, and those passed. I am not handling these deaths very well. I don't think I will ever get used to this part of this forum.

But I pray for Brady's comfort and quality time together. So glad you made the trip to FL when you did. Those look like very special moments with family.

I send strength and faith for a peaceful time.

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

salysue

Postby salysue » Thu May 07, 2009 7:06 am

Sharon and Brady....I pray that God will give you continued grace and dignity at this time. You have truly been an inspiration to me and many on this board. May you feel peace as God wraps his arms around you.
Husband diagnosed 2/7/08
Stage IIIA RC
2 nodes positive out of 29
5FU and radiation
Surgery 6/10/08
6 months Folfox ended 12/31/08
Ileo takedown 2/12/09

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

jack

Postby jack » Thu May 07, 2009 7:19 am

Sharon,
I too posted to you on Wamo's thread but want you too know my thoughts and my prayers are with you both. What an honour to have that donation and what a delight fo Brady to be able to see it happen.
I know you will find the strength to get through this hard time Sharon please take care of yourself too and I wish Brady a safe and peaceful journey.
Remember that he will live on in your heart and in the hearts of all those whose life he touched
love Jill (JACK)Australia
DH dx Stage IV mCRC Apr 07 PSD
colon resection May 07
5FU / Avastin Aug 07 - Jan 08
Rad Feb 08 spine mets
Erbitux Mar - Apr 08
The Angels came for him 24 May 08
just 6 days after we married having been together 23 years

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”