Problems after Treatment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
badfaith1998

Problems after Treatment

Postby badfaith1998 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:32 pm

My boyfriend was dx with stage 2 rectal cancer in 05. He had six weeks of constant infusion 5fu, daily radiation for 6 weeks, by then the tumor was gone (5cm covering 75% of the rectum), he had a temp colostomy for almost 2 years and then the reversal which has been done for about a 1 year. He is cancer free :D He also had his gall bladder removed in the last year.

Since he has had his reversal he has had so many problems. He gets cramps and spasms in his colon, he spends hours in the bathroom, has to wear diapers (he is very young) in case he cannot make it to the restroom. The surgeon has told him that because of the agressive radiation he had he may have problems for years to come. Has anyone had similar problems to this?

Thanks

Littlefish

Re: Problems after Treatment

Postby Littlefish » Mon May 04, 2009 6:53 pm

I've only just had surg for an ultra low rectal resection with a temp osto. But my surgeon has made it very clear many times that it might take up to 2 years to get regular bowel function back after reversal and that only 80% of people do get a relatively normal return to bowel function. I've also been left with a very short rectrum so also more likley to have some trouble getting back to normal. I wish your boyfriend well, I'm sure he's not alone facing these battles.
Kath 35yrs
Dx Dec 08
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (1 Liver met- resected)
Treatment started Feb 09 :6 weeks Chemo/Radiation, April 09 Ultra Low Rectal Resection, June 09 Liver Resection
July-Nov 09 8 rounds FOLFOX & Avastin

pearlgirl

Postby pearlgirl » Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 pm

We're currently experiencing a very similar situation with my husband, but he just had his reversal April 2.
Husband DX CC (T2N0M0) 9/06
LAR 9/06
Recurrence, now CRC 1/08
chemo/rad, 6 weeks, ended 5/2/08
2nd LAR/ temp ileo 6/19/08,
8/4/08> 6 months chemo
ileo reversal 4/09, in remission

wamo

Postby wamo » Mon May 04, 2009 9:21 pm

I am so sorry to hear of your boyfriends issues. Unfortunately, radiation to the pelvis....rectum does have a price to be paid. I don't believe it happens with everyone though. My husband had 6 weeks of radiation and 5FU prior to his rectal resection where they took out 10 inches of rectum. Post radiation... not immediately mind you but over time... the following issues developed:

- urgency in bowel movements
- increased frequency there of
- erectile dysfunction in fact no function..... even with meds for that
- a noticable spasming while passing stool
- distended bladder developed latest down the road
- leakage while sleeping and sometimes while awake but not as often

He eventually did need a colostomy... but that was due to a fistula that developed at the incision site of his resection and was causing fluid and gases to collect and major pain/unable to walk for my husband in his hip. Once he had the fistula drained and colostomy in place the infection cleared.

Like I said this does not happen to everyone...I don't want to freak you out. But what you described does sound normal to me. Along with all of the man emotions and frustrations that go along with the physical issues. Love him, support him and enjoy him. Tell him none of that matters to you and you are sorry he has to "live" with it. There is lomotil that can help firm stools to help a bit if he hasn't inquired about that maybe it will help.

wamo
Hubby-9-05 IIIC Rectal 4/11nodes 40yrs*1-06 LAR FOLFOX *6-07 Mets Lungs-FOLFIRI,Erbitux,Avastin *5-08 Skull met *9-08 ClinTrial EPO906+Celebrex *mets liver,kidneys,adrenal gld *WBRT brain mets *1-09 Gemzar/Xeloda ***2-25-09 Paul entered Heaven's gates.

mardrobe

Postby mardrobe » Tue May 05, 2009 8:52 am

Linda has had similar problems since her Colon Surgery in 2003. It is helped considerably by medications, but her Gastroenterologist says it is probably permanent and she should be happy to be at this point. This is a scary thought when we look at what insurance saves us on medications, I don't know how anyone makes it without.

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 am

I'm sorry to hear this. This disease sucks. I'm lucky I was told I had to have a permanent colostomy and decided no, I was going to have an excision. I had 28 radiation treatments with 5FU for 7.5 wks continuous IV infusion. I can travel without fear of going on myself. I do have some trouble with urinary urgency and at times if I wait to long it kind of falls out. No problems with bowels though really. I have talked to people that have your boyfriends problem and some of they say they wish they had the colonostomy. Was his life better with it? Would he consider getting it back? Less time in the bathroom? I've changed them and cleaned them but have not lived with one so I can't say if it's better for him with it or without it but maybe it's something to consider.

I pray it gets better for him.
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

DeeDee

Postby DeeDee » Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Unfortunately some people do have a lot of problems after the resection. We have had several good discussion threads about this problem where people listed what had helped them. If you do a search on reversal you should be able to find them. Hopefully you will be able to find something that will help your boyfriend.
Hugs,

Dee
Stage 2 Rectal Cancer
Tomo Radiation and resection 12/06
Folfox stopped after 3 due to toxicity
Ileostomy reversal 04/07
NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”