let's start again...dang!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dancingrosey

let's start again...dang!

Postby dancingrosey » Sat May 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Well we had a very eventful trip to UPMC; very glad that we took the trip even though it didn't turn out as we thought it would. After talking with the dr's and getting the news that everything was operable or treatable we got scheduled for surgery the next week. There was a small slightly glowing spot on a PET scan at the sight of the original tumor. So the first thing they did before the surgery was to take a look at it and do a biopsy. Well...it turned out positive so the surgery was nixed until we could discuss what to do. They told us they could have done the liver surgery and radical colon surgery resulting in a colostomy but did not want to do it without my knowing and consenting. They told us that things look to be stable and/or growing very slowly so we had a bit of time to decide what to do.

After this news, I placed a call to my onc at MDA and filled him in on the details. He was surprised and said 'oh we had been watching that area'. WHAT? Who is we? It certainly wasn't myself or my husband. We didn't even know there was a questionable spot until I had a CT scan done at a local hospital due to a kidney stone and the dr there told me. Long story short the onc told us that it didn't take surgery out of the plan, but that they would want to treat the primary area. Hmm...so we are seeing the onc, the liver surgeon and the thoracic surgeon next week. It amazes me how suddenly their interest peaks when you tell them that you have spoken to another team of dr's. Now it feels like we are back to the beginning again. Dang!! Two steps forward, one step back.

wamo

Re: let's start again...dang!

Postby wamo » Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 pm

I am so sorry for this.... I know what you mean when you hear this is something WE have been watching and it is new news to you. You feel like, uhhhhhh hello I should know what WE are watching shouldn't I??????

Again, sorry for all of this, how very frustrating!!

wamo
Hubby-9-05 IIIC Rectal 4/11nodes 40yrs*1-06 LAR FOLFOX *6-07 Mets Lungs-FOLFIRI,Erbitux,Avastin *5-08 Skull met *9-08 ClinTrial EPO906+Celebrex *mets liver,kidneys,adrenal gld *WBRT brain mets *1-09 Gemzar/Xeloda ***2-25-09 Paul entered Heaven's gates.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”