trying to make sense of my CT scan

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
colonator

trying to make sense of my CT scan

Postby colonator » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:32 pm

Hi all,
I've been reading your board for a while as I try and figure out what is going on with my health. I've been having localized pain in my transverse colon for about 6 months. So far, no major changes in bowel habits or blood in stools, but the pain has me very worried. I am seeing a GI doc now, and because of my age - 34- I am having to push for expensive diagnostic tests. I have not had a scope yet - that is in a couple of weeks. I did, however, just have a CT scan of the ab, without and with IV contrast. At first, I was relieved about the results. Now I am not so sure. Here is the thing - they only used IV contrast, but assured me my colon was visable, which is why they didn't give me oral contrast. The only thing the radiologist noted was a 5 mm hepatic cyst. I am very concerned that it could be mets from an as-yet undiagnosed colon tumor. I talked to the nurse on the phone, and she said my lymph nodes all looked fine, that it is normal to have a benign cyst, that there was nothing noted by the radiologist regarding concerns about my colon or lymph nodes in the area. I expressed my concern about the liver cyst being a met and all she said was he didn't feel it was suspicious and made no notes about further diagnostic tests to look at it. So for those of you in the know - what does this CT scan really mean? Should I feel good that if there is something going on in my colon, at least it hasn't invaded the colon wall and spread to lymph nodes, or are CT scans pretty worthless in this regard? I see my doc next week and will quiz him, as well as ask to see the radiology report, but for now I am just not sure what this CT scan really tells me. And don't worry - the colonoscopy is coming up in a few weeks. I just want to know what is going on. The strength you all show has encouraged me to suck it up and live each day with as little worry as possible.

sue kidera

Postby sue kidera » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi,
I had already had surgery for my cc when the cat scan was done and my surgeon had already had a good look at my liver, so I was assured there were no mets there, however, I had cysts show up in my liver with my first scan. It also concerned me too at the time. They seemed absolutely sure about what they were. A PET/CAT scan would give you the most diffinitive answer.
I was told that liver cysts are pretty common. Actually I was told that about 50% of us have them. Not to say that you aren't doing EXACTLY the right thing checking everything out.
I'm glad the colonoscopy is already scheduled. Best of luck. Sue

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:20 am

Colonater, i was the same when i had my first scans end of May, was told i had a cyst on my liver but my surgeon said he probably had one to. Quite common he advised.

Cheers

Nick

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:31 am

I had the same CT report before my Sig surgery. After surgery the surgeon talked to me and said "don't worry about your liver I had a good look at it and you have a few cysts, but in my experience nearly everyone has liver cycsts, they are very common".

On my recent CT scan again liver cysts were noted "no change" - nothing to worry about!!

Good luck on your upcoming colonoscopy.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”