BF's rectal cancer update, surgery next week

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pokergirl

BF's rectal cancer update, surgery next week

Postby pokergirl » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi everyone. I've been catching up on all your posts. First of all, I hope you all know just how wonderful you all are. Each one of you. I am inspired by all your strength through a very difficult time in your lives.

You may or may not remember... my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer in early October. The past several weeks have been so hard.

He has surgery a week from today. They are removing his rectum and some of his lymph nodes. I can tell he's scared. He has become very reclusive and inactive the past couple weeks. I can tell his appetite has been down, too. :(

He will be in surgery for four hours, then will stay in the hospital for a week, then home for recovery. After his recovery he will start chemo.

His team of doctors is very optimistic and they intend to beat the cancer fully. Thank goodness it hasn't spread.

I'm glad to have found you all.

missjv

Postby missjv » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:39 pm

HI,
WELL GOOD LUCK TO YOUR BOYFRIEND IT SOUNDS LIKE HE HAS GREAT DOCS. PLEASE TELL HIM TO BE POSITIVE AND HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE. THE BETTER HE IS MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY THE BETTER HE WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE CHEMO. I KNOW HE IS SCARED AND DEPRESSED BUT HE NEEDS TO SNAP OUT OF IT. I WAS DIAGNOSED STAGE 4 BACK IN JUNE I KNOW HOW IT FEELS WHEN YOUR TOLD YOU HAVE CANCER BUT I WAS NOT GOING TO LET IT BOTHER ME AND I CONTINUE MY LIFE AS I ALWAYS DID CHEMO DAYS SUCK BUT YOU HAVE TO THINK OF THEM AS KILLING THE CANCER CELLS EVEN THOUGH IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT. I AM GOING FOR LIVER RESECTION DECEMBER 8TH AND I AM DETERMINED THAT THIS WILL BE THE END OF THIS CANCER. PLEASE TELL HIM TO EAT AND KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE IT DOES HELP.

MISSJV

Figg Tree

Postby Figg Tree » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:38 pm

I am a 4 year Stage 3 Rectal Survivor and would be happy to lend an ear anytime you want to talk. It will be a rough recovery, as I assume as I did he will have a bag, illeostomy. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Staying positive is all you can do.

Tammy
www.figgtree.com

LA8

Postby LA8 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:31 am

Hi, pokergirl - if I didn't know better I'd think you are my wife - I'm in pretty much the same state as your boyfriend, and also goung in for the same thing on the same day (getting a J-pouch as well). I've just been for a pre-surgery assessment and they've convinced me things aren't bad at all, and to be sure and enjoy myself over the next week. So please tell him to party a bit this weekend (we'll both be sore for a few weeks after) and bid farewell to the disease!

Bobbie

Are their different kinds of bags?

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 am

What is a J-bag? My husband has a bag. The visiting nurse has taught me how to change it and now my husband needs to learn to do it also.
The most difficult part is cutting the shape to fit his stoma. His stoma is getting smaller little by little. The nurse said it was quite large. I don't know why his would be larger than others; he is not a big man (was 190 pounds, 5 ft. 11 inches. Now he is 158 pounds). We have so much to learn here; all new to us.
Bobbie

LA8

Postby LA8 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:39 am

Hi, Bobbie. A J puuch is not like a stoma bag, its sort of a reservoir they make when they re-attach your plumming when the cancer is low and close to the back door. This is in case you don't have as much controll as before and will enable you to use the toilet less frequently.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:51 pm

Just FYI - a really great resource for more info about ostomies is www.uoaa.org. Go to www.uoaa.org and click on "Discussion" along the red bar at the top.

Their message board is set up pretty much just like this one, and I know that some of the people here are also on that board. Just an idea if you have other questions about ostomies that aren't getting answered here...

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”