Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

Postby jane » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Hello

I was diagnosed stage 3 N1 1 year ago today at the age of 42. I had chemo radiation, surgery in Feb this year followed by another 4 months of Chemo. I have had a follow up colonoscopy and CT scan and so far all clear. I am due for another CEA in Dec. I put that off as it has steadily risen from 1.4 to 2.6. I went on an overseas holiday and didn't want any bad news. I feel really healthy but am having difficulty in moving on and trying to put cancer behind me. I discovered this web site a few weeks back and have been watching it daily. You are all so great, positive and helpful to one another. I live in Australia - anyone else? :?
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:07 am

Hi Jane ,
Welcome, so sorry that the shared interest had to be cancer. I'm from the Sunshine coast in Queensland. I was dx with st3 6/13 nodes involved, back in Jan 98 ,have been ca free ever since . Good luck for the future only time will ease the fears,Ron.

CEA Rising

Postby guest » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:29 am

Please don't put off the tests. That one number does not really mean anything, but you need more tests to figure it out. If the cancer is back, you want to attack it as soon as possible. Also, by repeated tests you and the onc. can learn what your CEA means to you. My husband's onc. has learned to pay attention to even small, normal increases.

Believe me I know how stressful they are, but I consider CEA my husband's friend as it has been a big tattle tale for him. He has not had big numbers, but steady rises.

1st recurrence (presacral space) his was, 1.2; 2.4; 2;7; 3.3; 5.5. After the 1.2 to 2.4 (2 months)jump he was put on tests every 6 weeks. This recurrence with 3 pelvic masses it was, 1.6 (3 days after last radiation treatments); 1.8; 2.6; 3.8; 5.5. He was put on tests every 4 weeks after the 2.6 test which jumped in 2 months.

I don't want to be discouraging, but please get the tests because it takes a series of numbers to tell anything.

MA

jane

Postby jane » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28 pm

Thank you for the posts - and Ron - I love the Sunshine Coast!
CEA - I have a test booked for a month - results on 21 Dec. I so hope it's better news - I really want to enjpy this Xmas better than last!
NED since!

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:52 am

Jane, the CEA results can be misleading, though it is concerning to see it rise. When was your last CT scan? If you're seeing your CEA rise, it's a good idea to get a CT scan or PET/CT scan to see if there's any new activity. Though it is scary and it's easy to just continue on because you feel good, best to get after it sooner rather than later.

My story began similar to yours. Dx with Stage III, n1 last December at age 41. Rad/chemo and surgery. 19/26 lymph nodes positive. Unfortunately, mine turned more grim after surgery when they found mets in my liver. I'm fighting it though and very hopeful that chemo and resection will buy me time or a forever cure.

Keep your spirits up and stay on top of your health! Or would you stay on the bottom of your health in the "land down under"??? ;-)

jane

stress

Postby jane » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:56 pm

My last CT was in august - all clear. The last CEA was in July at 2.6 and my onc was not concerned - just me as it had risen from 1.4 in Dec. She felt it was more encouraging that CT was clear and that repeating CEA in Dec would be OK.
NED since!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”