alcohol

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cmb

alcohol

Postby cmb » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:34 am

Is it okay to have an occasional drink on the weeks I don't have chemotherapy treatments? My doctor didn't specify and I am embarassed to ask.

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:03 pm

By all means, yes! I've discussed this with my doctors many times. They all say it's fine to drink in moderation. I have liver mets, but my liver function is fine and the doctors say that one or two drinks certainly won't hurt me. As a matter of fact, it helps alleviate the stress and makes life seem a bit more "normal".

It's important to remember to live while you are surviving this beast of a thing. For me, that means carrying on with as many normal activities as possible.

Cheers!

Billy

drinks

Postby Billy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:56 pm

My doctors say the same thing. Alcohol in moderation is fine. You do need to take into account some factors though. Make sure your liver functions are strong. Also make sure it won't interfere with any other medications you may be taking.

Cheers!

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:45 pm

I was also embarassed to ask my doctor ... so one day in the chemo cocktail lounge I asked a patient next to me (who also had rectal cancer). He had asked. The doctor said it was okay as long as it was the good stuff!!! HAHAHAHA So ... no Boone's Farm...

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:25 pm

Don't be embarrassed! Your doc would probably love to have one with you! Mine recomended Margarita's! :)

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:21 pm

whattdya guys embarrassed to ask for??? i mean..er, i guess unless you're underage, it's totally normal to have some social drinks.

hell, i've asked my doctor if could have oral sex while on chemotherapy... :lol:

(btw rodney, he had a mixed reaction bout that question)

I figure it like this, i'm paying my doctors a wwhooooole helluva lot of money. and they are there to make sure i live. and my idea of "live" is to....well....live. i want as much of my life as i knew it before as i can get. so bring on the cocktails honey!

Billy

alcohol

Postby Billy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:56 pm

I have to chime in about the embarrassment and agree with Cyn. While for us this may be a first time experience, the doctors have seen it all before. There is most likely no question you can ask that they haven’t encountered. I’ve talked with my oncologist about drinking, smoking pot, sex, and a hundred other things. If it is a part of your life, you cannot be at all embarrassed to talk about it, especially with your doc.

And Cyn….I had that discussion with my doc as well, most likely with the same mixed reactions :?

Billy
Last edited by Billy on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:56 pm

Cynn, this is why I love you!!!

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:23 pm

:lol:
and thus why i love all of you!

Billy! so glad to see you back. i love love love your blog. and kick kick kick myself for continually thinking about blogging yet never doing it

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Interesting that my name comes up in discussions about oral sex ...

I asked my oncologist's assistant about alcohol, and she didn't seem to think it was a big deal if consumed in moderation. I even asked her if marijuana use would help me when I was sick all the time from 5FU. She didn't think marijuana would help with the diarrhea but it might help with lack of appetite (although, of course, she could not recommend using anything illegal). I agree that doctors have probably heard all kinds of questions so there's no need to be embarrassed.

Rodney

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:58 pm

This cancer thing is scary. As you go through this horrible thing you've gotta feel OK about talking about whatever is worrying you. Docs are human, most would probably love to sit down and have a drink with you. Most of the docs that I know are drinkers - its a pretty common stress management tool for people who work too many hours for exercise. I've talked to all my docs about alcohol use and smoking pot, though I do admit that I do a quick religion check before I ask. Here in SLC, half the population is Mormon and the Mormons tend to frown on booze. Even so, they don't say no, they just give me the "alcohol has been proven to be bad for your health" speech.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:27 am

Just to say i went out on Friday of last week and partied through till Monday night. It felt fantastic!!!!

Regards
Nick

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:00 am

Nick: you will appreciate this. Told my onc (rather hesitantly) that I had a "lager and lime".....He looked me straight in he eye and said "don't ever do that again" Of course I was rather upset thinking that somehow I had compromised my chemo regime. Onc waited and then proceeded to say "don't ever waste a "good beer with LIME".

He proceeded to have a discussion with my Hubby about the best beer they had ever consumed.

I continued to have my lager and lime and fish and chips during my "good times" of chemo.

You just have to live a little!!!!

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Oh Joy, believe it! i had a great weekend. Took in a couple of gigs Friday and Monday. Had another night out saturday, then took in a football game (soccer) on sunday. And I love a dance and that was the most dancing i'd done since the news broke back in May, i must admit my feet took a battering due to the xeloda!! but i had a great time.

Ive got soul but im not a soldier!

Nick

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”