Mass in rectum...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MortalKombat

Mass in rectum...

Postby MortalKombat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Hello there

My name is Chris and I have been suffering from rectal bleeding on and off for about 2-4 years.

Well my anus sometimes hurts after I go, and I do really have to strain sometimes, I had always presumed there was something just before the entrance. I had always though hemroids. But tonight I went to the toilet and I felt something whilst wiping.

*A BIT OF GROSS INFO TO FOLLOW*

I had a mirror close by and with a bit of adjustment I could see something quite big inside my anus and I could actually see blood coming from it. I can't be entirely sure of its size but I would guess it was about the size of a sprout (quite big!!!). The thing that freaked me out was that it looked kind of twisted and made up of parts... Kind of like a brain (weird analogy I know!)

Anyway it freaked me out so I thought I would ask your advice. I cannot visit my doctor for about a week and I was wondering if there were any chances this was a tumour, not just internal hemmies... I am not really sure what a tumour would look like or even if you can get one so far down your rectum.

Anyway thank you for reading this and I apologise if I have grossed you out.

Lee

Re: Mass in rectum...

Postby Lee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi Chris,

You've come to the right place and NO you did not gross me out. I had rectal caner, been there, done that. I'm not saying you have cancer, but rectal bleeding is NOT NORMAL. You need to see a Dr an get a proper diagnoses. Your problem could be cause by many things, cancer is just one item on a check list of many, as are hemerroids. But if you do have cancer, you really want it check out the sooner the better.

Do you have any other symptoms like, pain when passing a bowel, mucus discharge, weight loss, tiredness, etc.

Try not to worry, but do get it checked out.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Polarprincess

Postby Polarprincess » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 pm

how about doing a search for images for hemorrhoids and see if it looks like what your looks like at all.
42 y/o Diagnosed Stage IIIa (T1 N1 of 26 M0) July 2008
LAR July 24 2008
Supposedly benign polyp with
invasive tubulovillous adenocarcinoma
12 cycles Fulfox
28 days chemoradiation
Finished April 20th 2009
Currently NED

MortalKombat

Postby MortalKombat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.I checked pictured online and I must say I am learning towards a bad case on internals hemoroids. The only thing that has me think hemoroids because they both look similar is that hemoroids seem to have different textures and tumours seem to be like a single swollen mass.

What I saw was like a mixture of textures, hard to explain I guess.

I havn't had any other symptoms really. Obviously going to the toilet is sometimes difficult and there is blood, but I don't really feel tired or ill or anything like that. I do have thin stools sometimes but seeing the size of that 'thing' tonight I can now see why!!!

Another thing that makes me lean towards hemoroids is that sometimes my stools are normal, sometimes they are thin... same as sometimes I have to strain and sometimes do not. I guess where as hemoroids can flare up, tumours would stay the same size?

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Definitely call your doc. If it's that low then they can check it out quickly and let you know what's going on. Cancer can occur that low but so can hemmerhoids - so don't stress out yet - but definitely call your doc ASAP. Rectal bleeding should never be ignored (I say this after ignoring mine for a good 6 months or longer).
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

crossyourfingers

Postby crossyourfingers » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I would get to the GI doctor. I thought my bleeding was hemorrhoids too. I had bleeding on and off for 2 years. I had just had a baby so I kept thinking hemorrhoids for sure!! Please go to see the doctor ASAP and keep us updated.
DX 4/3/09 Rectal Cancer Age 42
LAR w/ J pouch Temp Ileostomy 4/27/09
T2 NO MO
Take down June 23 09
NED

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Besides hemorrhoids or rectal cancer, there is also another type of cancer called anal cancer. Although close in proximity, these two types of cancer (rectal vs anal) are very different. I agree with Belle. Please get this checked out. If it is hemorrhoids, they can become extremely painful and can bleed quite copiously at times although they are generally not that problematic. If it is something more serious, you'll be glad that you got it checked out sooner rather than later. Yep, there's an 'yuck' or ' ick' factor to these types of problems but you can't ignore them.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:10 pm

My tumor was low too. I thought it was hemorrhoids for years, my doctors never looked when I complained about it. I waited too long. By the time I got someone to actually put a finger up my butt, the cancer had spread to lymph nodes in my groin. Even with the swollen lymph nodes and my request for a colonoscopy my doc said there could be no connection and not to worry about it. OK, that's my horror story. Now remember how rare it is for young people to get rectal cancer (it really is rare in spite of all the folks posting on this site). Stay positive and think hemorrhoids, but get it looked at ASAP! Please let us know what you find out.
Age 45; Stage IV, mets to liver, nodes and bones.
Dx 12/05; Chemoradiation, surgery, Folfox, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri, Folfiri
Intrathecal pain pump 3/09 (works great!)
Irinotecan / Erbitux 5/09 - ?
Two wonderful kids ages 7 and 5

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Can I ask how you were able to see inside your anus? Are you just talking about the outside of it, like if you were to spread your buttcheeks apart or did you actually see up in there?

Any continuous bleeding should be checked by a doctor. Even if it's hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids can get quite bad also so you would want those checked out if they are that big you may need to get them removed if they cause a lot of problems.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

ihavecancer

Postby ihavecancer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Agree see a doc. This sounds very unpleasant.
Diagnosed Jan 08 after lots of rectal bleeding
Stage 3
Chemo for six months
Having cancer is just part of the battle...

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:09 am

C O L O N O S C O P Y.

jamiana
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

ihavecancer

Postby ihavecancer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:25 am

If the doctor can affirm the mass is benign a colonosopcy would probaby be overkill unless the bleeding persists after treatment.
Diagnosed Jan 08 after lots of rectal bleeding
Stage 3
Chemo for six months
Having cancer is just part of the battle...

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 pm

I waited too long before I did anything, and the size of my tumor led the surgeon to believe it had been there for as long as 5-7 years. I had no other symptoms than a bloody stool here and there and some pushing and straining to go. I had warning signs I did not listen to. I am lucky my body finally said, "something is up". But I could and should have done something earlier and didn't.

I'd go into the Dr, and get checked out. It will give you peace of mind.

ONWARD and Good Luck!

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

DottieS

Postby DottieS » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Definitely get a colonoscopy ASAP. If your internist makes light of it, get the colonoscopy on your own. That's what I did and am glad I did. I had very few symptoms, no bleeding at all. The only thing I noticed was that I had to go to the bathroom more often, and it was interfering with my activities. Just thought I was getting older, because I always went to the bathroom alot.
Rectal CA Stage 3C at age 66
diag. 7/06, 5 weeks radiation & 5FU
resection 11/06, 8 of 11 lymph nodes
8 rounds 5 FU & oxaliplatin
takedown 6/07

MortalKombat

Postby MortalKombat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 am

Hi guys,

Went to doctors and was VERY embarrased... kinda explained I had seen / felt something and he put on some rubber gloves did a check and said 'well I can't feel any sign of hemmoroids or anything like that'. However as I have said, whatever it is I have seen protruding from my anus on occasion and obviously there has been blood. I know I should have questioned him further and explained that but after the glove experience I just wanted to get out of there after he gave me hemmoroid cream and laxatives just incase... but he said come back in a week if still having problems... which I kinda am.

Anyways, I was wondering whether the fact he didn't feel anything would be normal for hemmoroids / polyps? I know that hemmoroids are veins that fill with blood or something so is it possible that they are only swelling and making it difficult to have a bowel movement when I strain to go?

Quite confused now!!!

Also not sure how relavent this is but I had a blood test about 2 months ago (I had a virus), which came back fine...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”