allergies & complementary/alternative therapies

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hannah

allergies & complementary/alternative therapies

Postby Hannah » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:40 am

I saw this article mentioned on the ACOR listserv today and thought it was very interesting. It definitely makes sense, but it had never crossed my mind that some of the supplements I take could cause allergies! I guess it goes to show that there are always effects that we aren't thinking about.

So maybe it's a good time to throw out there for everyone to remember to tell your oncologist everything you are taking, including supplements - there are things out there (I don't know what off the top of my head) that can interfere with chemo, etc.

:)Hannah

See the entire article at:
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCove ... AI/tb/4518

Here is what I thought was the most interesting part of the article:

For example, one survey found that 12% of asthma patients used eucalyptus oil as a decongestant and expectorant, but this product can actually exacerbate breathing problems and increase wheezing in some patients, he noted.

Similarly, many patients take Echinacea in the belief that it can ward off a cold or ameliorate symptoms, but this drug can cause allergic reactions in patients who are sensitive to ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and other plants in the Asteraceae or Compositae families.

Gingko biloba, touted for its ability to treat dementia, claudication, altitude sickness and tinnitus, can increase the risk of bleeding in patients who are taking platelet inhibitors such as aspirin or Plavix (clopidogrel).

Other complementary and alternative medicine therapies with potential allergic or other harmful side effects include:

- Evening primrose, used as for eczema and asthma but associated with increased contact dermatitis
- Milk thistle, which can cause allergic reactions in patients sensitive to Asteraceae or Compositae plants
- Feverfew, allergic reactions in Compositae-sensitive patients
- Chamomile tea -- allergic reactions in Asteraceae or Compositae-sensitive patients
- St. John's Wort, used as a natural substitute for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, can reduce the efficacy of reverse transcriptase inhibitors by up to 90%.
- Dandelion, proplis, and fennel can cause diarrhea and abdominal pain
- Licorice, ginseng, and green tea have been associated with hypertension, ischemia, and tachycardia
- Guarana and licorice have been associated with headache and dizziness
- Ephedra/ma huang (banned by the FDA) has been associated with hypertension, insomnia, arrhythmias, nervousness, tremor, seizures, headaches, cerebrovascular events, myocardial infarctions, and deaths.
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”