Anyone ever heard of this?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tandy24
Facebook Username: Lisa Tandy

Anyone ever heard of this?

Postby tandy24 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:17 am

Ok so I went to my onco. to get my chemo push then my buddy pack for 48 hours treatment #6 out of 10 by the way!! My doc wanted to know all my side affects so I told him everything, also wanted to know how long it all lasted for also told him the truth. He then throws me a very fast ball that i had trouble understanding. He said that with all the side affects and how long it is lasting for he said i will be lucky to make it to treatment #8!
He said not to worry people do very well with 8 out of 10 treatments. Has anyone ever had treatment stopped? I am just confused.
God Bless and Believe,

Becca

Postby Becca » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:04 pm

Hi there! Don't worry!!! :) It sound like you're on FUL FOX, & yes, that is very common. (I'm basing that on my own experiance & what the onco & the nurses told me during my treatment for my stage 4 CC...) I had very severe side effects & at treatment 8 I had an allergic reaction to the Oxylaplatin. Noboby seemed too concerned or suprised... they just treated the reaction & switched my chemo to FUL-FURI. I finished my last 4 treatments & have been off chemo since Feb. '06. My Dr. said that very often people can only tolerate 8 treatments. Depending on the stage of their cancer or how they've been responding to treatment they will either stop @ 8 rounds or finish up with something else. (Like they did with me!)
Hope this helped! :wink:
~Becca

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:21 pm

I was also told by my onco that not many people make it through all the treatments. After my last one I told my husband I was glad it was over because I would not have been able to do it again. My Onco said that trial studies are based on 12 sessions so whether or not the chemo has done it's job at #4, #8, #10 is unknown. Like Becca said, it depends on the person. Do as many as your onco feels is safe for your health. What are your side effects at this point? I had unpleasant side effects but my onco pushed me through all 12 at full dosage. All docs are different. I have a friend whose doc delayed treatment due to blood numbers....mine numbers were similar but I was never delayed.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

rthornton

6 or 2/3 dozen

Postby rthornton » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:42 pm

When I was getting 5FU infusions last summer, the original plan was to go through 12 cycles of 5FU + Oxaliplatin and Avastin. After six cycles I was in remission, but the regimen started to make me really sick so we stopped after eight cycles. I never made it to 12 cycles with that regimen, but switched to Avastin + Eribitux which was easy, but I seriously hated the Erbitux rash. Now it's low dose Xeloda + Avastin, which so far is easy.

Best wishes ...

Rodney

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”