Monitoring Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JasonTR

Monitoring Colon Cancer

Postby JasonTR » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:42 pm

How are people monitoring the cancer in their colon when they have mets to the liver and lung? Jason's CT Scans only focus on the liver and lung, and while i agree they are our first priority, i'm puzzled as to why we haven't seen the colon on the CT Scans. Aside from some physical signs it's working (like increased appetite and energy level), and even though we've had a few scans since last June, we have no idea how the chemo is affecting the cancer in the colon.
We've the next scan scheduled for the 30th. Is there something specific we should be asking for? Or is this common.
Many, many thanks.
Sherri & JasonTR

Becca

Postby Becca » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:42 pm

Did he have colon surgery? I have stage 4 CC with liver mets. When I was initially diagnosed they removed 13 inches of my colon which removed all of the cancer that was there. During chemo they monitered my liver mets with CT & PET scans. I just had my 1st colonoscopy since my initial diagnosis (Aug. '05) last month & it was clean. My good friend (who is a radiologist) told me that polyps larger than 1mm (I think!) can be seen on a regular CT scan, but it's not as reliable as a colonoscopy. There is a new proceedure that uses CT to look at the colon. The advantages: Less recovery time (no anethesia needed) & new techniques make it just as reliable as a colonoscope. The disadvantadge is that you still have to prep, & if a polyp is found they still go in with a scope.

What am I trying to say through all this rambeling?? Ok... Make sure that your hubby has had a PET CT scan. My PET CT's always covered me from the neck to the pelvis. If there is anything unusual going on in his colon it should show. ALSO... make sure that he has an annual colonoscopy! Keep track of the date. I had to remind my Dr. that it was time! It's an invasive test. That's why they only do it once a year. (for the 1st five years after DX) Also, ask you Dr. questions until your'e blue in the face. When you think of them, write 'em down! My oncologist just asked me at my last visit "where's your notebook?" (I used to write down my questions & take notes in it...) He is always very good about addressing my concerns. ( I honestly thinks he appreciates the fact that I'm so proactive in my care.) Let me know if you have any more questions!

Monitoring Colon Cancer

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:28 am

No, he has never had colon surgery or a colonoscopy. When they did the biopsy, they didn't have to go that far. They just did a flexsig and went no further. He was just diagnosed in June and we had our only PET scan then. But we have not monitored the colon cancer at all since then. Any thoughts on how 'typical' this is?
Sherri & JasonTR

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:48 am

HI,
WELL I FIND THAT STRANGE. DID HE HAVE A TUMOR? ARE THEY USING CHEMO TO SHRINK IT SO THEY CAN SURGICALLY REMOVE IT? I THINK MOST OF US WHO HAVE HAD COLON CANCER HAVE HAD THE PRIMARY REMOVED 1ST THEN TREATMENT WITH CHEMO TO FOLLOW. I HAD JUST A SMALL POLYP 1 1/2 MM IN SIZE IT WAS REMOVED BY POLYPECTOMY SO I HAD NO COLON SURGERY MY MARGINS AND POLYP STALK WERE CLEAR OF CANCER. I HAVE A SIGMOIDOSCOPY ON THE 20TH TO CHECK THE AREA AGAIN MY DIAGNOSIS WAS JUNE 06. IM THINKING IF HE HAS CANCER IN HIS COLON IT NEEDS TO COME OUT ASAP SINCE CANCER CELLS BREAK AWAY FROM THE PRIMARY AND TRAVEL WHY WOULD THEY LEAVE THE PRIMARY THERE?

MISSJV

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:09 pm

Hi Sherri,

I am also very concerned to hear that he has not had the primary tumor removed. I'm sorry I don't remember his entire story - does he have rectal cancer? Is the plan to get radiation/chemo prior to surgery?

Even if that is the case, he should have had a full colonoscopy and there should be some serious discussion about the primary tumor. If the idea is to shrink the tumor, it should be followed to see if it is responding as hoped.

Also, where is he being treated? Sorry if you already told me all of this - sometimes I feel like I only have one brain cell, and today is one of those days!

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

JasonTR

Monitoring Colon Cancer

Postby JasonTR » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:40 am

We're at the UW Comprehensive Cancer in Madison. Jason had a flexsig the end of May and it revealed a 5cm circumferential mass in the rectum. There were no polyps that we know of, so perhaps this is the reason why surgery hasn't been the option yet. Yes, the chemo is supposed to be shrinking the other tumors in the liver and lung and we're hoping to be able to discuss surgery after this next scan. We've never once discussed a colonoscopy or colon removal surgery. I'll make a phone call on Monday and see what the doctor says ... i'll let you know.
Again, thank you for this wonderful service,
Sherri & JasonTR

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:10 pm

HI,
WELL IT IS CANCER OF THE RECTUM I TAKE IT? IF HE IS ALREADY ON CHEMO MAYBE THEY ARE TRYING TO SHRINK IT TO REMOVE IT. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO LEAVE THE PRIMARY CANCER THOUGH. I WOULD FOR SURE FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON. USUALLY FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE PRIMARY CANCER IS REMOVED ALONG WITH CLEAR MARGINS. ARE THE LIVER METS OPERABLE?

MISSJV

JasonTR

Monitoring Colon Cancer

Postby JasonTR » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:35 pm

You were all so sweet to respond, i'll bring you up-to-date on what we've learned. I've learned you can monitor the colon cancer on the CT scans a little and it looks like its responding to the chemo. It's not a preferred method, but it's a good way to 'keep an eye on it'.

As to why we haven't had surgery yet ... Jason's cancer in the lung and liver were such a concern that the doctors felt that we couldn't afford to take the time required to prep and recover from surgery prior to starting chemo. So we jumped straight into chemo. Now the lung met has virtually disappeared, and the liver and colon cancer is responding to the chemo. We just consulted a surgeon last week, but she says liver surgery is not an option for Jason right now. The tumors are too close to the arteries feeding and leaving the liver. The tumors are still quite large (about 7cm and 9cm) and too much of his liver would have to be removed. Our next decision is whether to seek a second opinion on this or continue the chemo thru January and then decide.

I hope this helps someone out there trying to navigate this system. Thank you to everyone. And happy, happy holidays.
Sherri & JasonTR

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”