reoccuring polups

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bobby

reoccuring polups

Postby Bobby » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:11 pm

l have reoccuring polups every 3 months. It has never been cancer. It has began to concern me. Does anyone have the same problem l do or does anyone have some information for me

Thanks Bobby

ASTEPHENS33

My thoughts

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:57 am

What have the doctors said about why they are checking you so often? Polyps can have different stages - benign to cancerous. When you have a colonoscopy, the polyps are removed and then biopsied. Usually, polyps take years to grow into cancer, so one could have a pre-canerous polyp without it being cancerous. As I understand it, a possible characteristic on a genetic defect is that polyps grow much faster - i.e., can become cancerous quicker than in a normal person. I'm not sure how you know you are getting polyps every three months - i.e., if you're having regular colonoscopies - but if the doctors are monitoring you that often, possible asking about genetics might make sense.

July181998

Colon Polyps

Postby July181998 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi Bobby,

First of all, how old are you? Do you have a family history of colon cancer or polyps? For example your grandparents, mother or father, and or siblings. Also, are you actually having a colonoscopy every 3 months? You may want to see a genetic counselor, and if you decide to, make sure you bring copies of your pathology reports. I have AFAP, so I get tested yearly. I too, have had polyps on every scope, however; I carry the APC gene. I will be having my colon removed next year.

Good Luck,

July

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:54 am

Hi Bobby,

There are a lot of people out there who have recurring polyps, so you are not alone! However, it is unusual that you are having them removed every three months.

In addition to what July & AStephens have already written, has your doctor recommended calcium or a cox-2 inhibitor (ie Celebrex) to help prevent the polyps? There has been research around for a number of years that these can help prevent the regrowth of polyps. Also, there is data to suggest that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories such as aspirin, ibuprofen and napoxen) can help prevent polyps as well.

Remember that there are some definite risks associated with taking any drug, and this is especially true with the cox-2 inhibitors and NSAIDs (much more so than the calcium). Talk to your doctor and see if there is something you can do to try to prevent the regrowth.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Bobbie

More colon polyps

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:07 pm

My friend's sister goes in every three years and always has alot of polyps to be removed. Another friend had 30 polyps removed so needs to go in more often. From what I hear, this is common.
Bobbie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”