anyone have a jpouch or other continent diversion while....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cynnycal

anyone have a jpouch or other continent diversion while....

Postby cynnycal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:56 am

while going through chemo?
I ask b/c i have a kpouch (no colon, but small intestine made into a pouch and pulled out through abdomen with a stoma that i self-cath a couple times a day)
and i'm about to start folfox again (six rounds). i was wondering what to expect as far as side effects to it.

Tammy Figg

Postby Tammy Figg » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:32 am

As you know I too had a illeostomy. While undergoing treatment and having the illeostomy the only thing I experienced was that I had to empty it more often. Doctors that I had said I would appreciate having it for that reason, b/c if not for the bag I would of been going to the restroom all the time.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Haha Tammy you crack me up - always finding the good in it!

Cynnycal, another thing to do in advance is to double-check w/your doc that you can take Immodium - there shouldn't be any reason you can't, but check just in case. If you start having diarrhea in your pouch, you can immediately snack on some Immodium and hopefully keep it from getting too bad. Also discuss with your doctor what you would take if the Immodium doesn't control it. It will be great if it doesn't happen, but at least you'll be prepared and not wondering what to do if it kicks in at 2am.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”