B6 side effect

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mscheryl103

B6 side effect

Postby mscheryl103 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:06 pm

My husband had his first Oxaplatin treatment 2 weeks ago and they suggested taking 200 mg of B6 a day.. since this he has pretty bad stomach troubles.. worse than before. usually with other drug its just a cycle. But this time its still going on.. He thinks its the B6. Just wondering if anyone else has had this side effect..

He is doing a lil better since his mom passed, I thought it might be his nerves... as well..
Thanks for any advise..
Ms C

rthornton

B6

Postby rthornton » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:55 pm

I'm also taking Xeloda, and with it I take B6 tablets. I take 300 mg daily, in addition to what's in my daily multivitamin. I haven't noticed any bad effects from taking B6, and in fact have been told that excess B6 is simply eliminated from the body. I hope this is true!

Maybe his stomach troubles that are now constant, but were once cyclical, are now constant because of a cumulative effect of his regimen.

Rodney

bossan

Postby bossan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:47 am

doing Xeloda and Vectibix with 300mg of B6, no extra stomach problems. Lots of fatigue and rashes/acne from hell though...
How Beautiful Can A Being Be?
My Personal Forum: http://z8.invisionfree.com/colorectalk
My Story (scroll to the bottom of page 1) http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Virtually every medication lists the side effects of upset stomach,rash,dirrhea and/or constipation even meds used for those purposes like B6. B6 is used to decrease nausea in pregnant women but it also helps with nerve conductions that is why they use it for nuerlagia.
The upset somach may be from the B6 but I would say to take 50mg four times daily to get the 200 mg that may not be as hard on the stomach as 200mg at once. B6 is a water soulble vitamin and I was taught the body does not store the water soluble vitamins to any significant degree.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:38 pm

Yikes people!! That is WAYYYYYYYYYY too much B6 to be taking!! My oncologist is the doctor who discovered the use of B6 as being helpful to some with neuropathy. He told me to NEVER take more than 100 mg per day that 50 should be plenty. He told me that taking more than that per day would have the opposite effect. It will make the neuropathy worse or if someone never had neuropathy and started taking more than 100 mg per day of B6, they would develope neuropathy. I would stop taking that much ASAP if I were you. Just a heads up is all. I would never have known this if my Oncologist weren't the one who wrote the paper in the Medical Journal about this. Hope this helps!!!

Hugs Peg

bossan

Postby bossan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:06 am

Those are very strong words that need to be backed up. I'm doing great. Please show me the link to your oncologist's claim Peg.
How Beautiful Can A Being Be?

My Personal Forum: http://z8.invisionfree.com/colorectalk

My Story (scroll to the bottom of page 1) http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:15 am

Let me see if I can give him a call and post something for you Bossan. I went to one of my treatments and asked him about taking B6 to help with Neuropathy. He told me a story about a young doctor doing a study on B6 and the effects it had on neuropathy and how it was put in the Journal of Medicine. He asked me if I had any idea who that young doctor might be? Of course I had no idea. He smiled and told me it was him!! I have never read the article but he told me to be very careful not to take more than 100 mg because of the effects it can have on you. I will see if I can find the article and post the link here for you. Didn't mean for it to sound like strong claims at all....was just quoting what he had told me.
Peg

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:17 am

Mscheryl.

I would concur that each medication has a myriad of possible side affects. From my personal perspective, I take 100 mg of B6 once daily and I do not experience stomach issues. I would encourage you and your husband to document his symptoms and discuss each with his medical team. Please remember each of our experiences and journeys are unique.

I hope this helps.

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”