Anybody catch this month's Readers Digest ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
EBMJ

Anybody catch this month's Readers Digest ?

Postby EBMJ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:15 pm

I was getting my chemo today and reading Reader's Digest. The cover story is about the dangers of early screening for cancer. As someone who would have greatly benefited from early screening for CRC, I found the article to be offensive to me, and bordering on irresponsible journalism. The one example of CRC they gave was of a doctor in his 60's who refuses to get a colonoscopy because he has no family history, and he figures the risks of the colonoscopy outweigh the potential of there really being a problem. Examples like that set our mission back, and give the general public a false sense of security. I realize I am probably hypersensitive to this issue, but it sure rubbed me the wrong way. So I was wondering if anyone else read this and what their reaction was ?

Jim
51 year old male, DX: Stage IV CC with liver mets 07
Too many Surgeries
Too much chemo
Too much radiation
PM me if you want the details

live2jett
Facebook Username: debbie jett

Re: Anybody catch this month's Readers Digest ?

Postby live2jett » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:58 pm

I have not read this article. It makes me sad to think a Doctor would comment in this negative way. I wonder how many Colon Cancer patients have slipped thru his hands:( THis Doc. is lucky tht he does not have to deal Colon Cancer. I had no family history and 45 years young have Colon Cancer.. Thank GOD my Doc sent me to a Gastro doc.
DX 10-21-08 Advanced stage IIIC T3 N2 M0
10/20 nodes pos.
Colon resect surgery 11-03-08
chemo 12-03-08 Folfox4 3 rounds
Xeloda 5 rounds(due to leucovorin shortage/severe reaction with oxi)
Carpe Diem NED Update 2014

KellyBelle
Facebook Username: Kelly Davis Keeling

Postby KellyBelle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Maybe everyone here should send a letter to the editor? I read part of the article at the dentist's office yesterday and had the same reaction as you. This is a good opportunity for us to band together!
Diagnosed March, 2008
Stage IIIC
Colo-Anal Reconstructive Surgery April, 2008
Finished Folfox treatment November, 2008
NED! December 2008
NED! December 2011

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.
~Grandma Moses

EBMJ

Postby EBMJ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:52 pm

I've already sent my email to the editors.

Jim
51 year old male, DX: Stage IV CC with liver mets 07
Too many Surgeries
Too much chemo
Too much radiation
PM me if you want the details

helen098

Postby helen098 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:59 pm

I read the article and I was quite surprised I thought Readers Digest was more
conservation in there thinking.
I also thought it was irresponsible actually it made me very mad here we are trying to get people screened and this article (since it’s in readers digest a lot of people take it as if it was the bible) says the risks of the procedure out weight what you will find.
I know my colonoscopy at 42 saved my life even if I had waited till 50 my stage 3 would have been stage 4 and maybe untreatable.
Maybe we should email them our stories and see what they say
Anyone have there email address?
People in my office were passing it around and a lot thought it was a good idea as they don’t like to get a mamo ( the horrible pain) or a colonoscopy (I am so embarrassed and the prep is so bad) I went around like a crazy woman saying no no no you have to get tested but most thought the article was good and we do too much testing
I think the article set so back a few years
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

Kathleen808

Postby Kathleen808 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:19 pm

Jim,
I've subscribed to Reader's Digest for 20 years and I had the same reaction as you. I am disheartened and ticked off that they printed that article. I feel it was careless journalism and I can't help but think that insurance companies are behind it. I will be writing a letter as well. My husband's 9cm tumor (98% blockage) was found during a routine colonoscopy at age 51. He's stage IIIc. Thank goodness he had the scope.
Aloha,
Kathleen
Kathleen
DH 1/09 3c 51yr rsct
Folfx 3/09
1 l nd 9/09 Flfri Avstn
PET clr 6/10
Folfri Avstn 7/10
ND 10/10
1/11 lng mets Flfri Avastn
ND 2/12
9/12 Flfri Avastn
10/12 grwth lng mts Erbtx Avstn Irintcn
1/13 stabl
9/13 grwth
8/16/14 passed into eternal peace

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:19 pm

o.m.g.
Set screening campaigns (not just ours) back a decade, at least. What the heck is *wrong* with these people?
http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/cancer ... 22134.html
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

salysue

Postby salysue » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:44 pm

I also have subscribed to Reader's Digest for years and I, too, was appalled by this article. Don't understand the logic behind publishing this type of article in such a respected magazine.
Husband diagnosed 2/7/08
Stage IIIA RC
2 nodes positive out of 29
5FU and radiation
Surgery 6/10/08
6 months Folfox ended 12/31/08
Ileo takedown 2/12/09

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

ihavecancer

Postby ihavecancer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:24 pm

EBMJ wrote:I was getting my chemo today and reading Reader's Digest. The cover story is about the dangers of early screening for cancer. As someone who would have greatly benefited from early screening for CRC, I found the article to be offensive to me, and bordering on irresponsible journalism. The one example of CRC they gave was of a doctor in his 60's who refuses to get a colonoscopy because he has no family history, and he figures the risks of the colonoscopy outweigh the potential of there really being a problem. Examples like that set our mission back, and give the general public a false sense of security. I realize I am probably hypersensitive to this issue, but it sure rubbed me the wrong way. So I was wondering if anyone else read this and what their reaction was ?

Jim

Agree. Such an article should have never been published because it's dangerous advice.
Diagnosed Jan 08 after lots of rectal bleeding
Stage 3
Chemo for six months
Having cancer is just part of the battle...

wendy1

Postby wendy1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm

I saw the magazine in the store the other day and almost bought it to read the article, but than I saw the price. That made me change my mind, I thought the price was insane. Now that I hear what all of you have to say about the article, I'm so glad I didn't pay the price. For a doctor to say he hasn't been tested because he has no family history is just insanity!!! I have no family history, and if I didn't get tested I probably wouldn't be here now! I think thats irresponsible for a magazine of that magnitude to print something so utterly ridiculous!
DX Nov 2007, surgery, 6 months chemo. Mets to nodes had to wait 2 yrs before finding out cancer. 6 more months chemo, then mets to lungs. 6 more months chemo, not wking, cancer grew. Starting new chemo today, Cancer won't take me, old age will!

JAIN DB

Postby JAIN DB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:39 am

My neighbour is the CEO of RD in India. I have posted a letter and link to this forum and requested him to personally speak to the Editor in this regard. Hope they will make amends and suggest otherwise.

ritu
dad 68 Dx stage 4
mCRC 02/09
solitary met to lung
resection rectum 5/09
liver lung brain mets 5/10
cyberknife lung gammaknife brain
chemo xeloda/oxi/erbitux

Mitu

Postby Mitu » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:45 am

This looks like the article -- without the cover price! Is it?

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/cancer ... 22134.html

There's a similar piece in this week's Newsweek, though it is billed as a commentary rather than an informational article. The auther, Sharon Begley, raises some interesting points but overall, her premise could probably be easily refuted. There is a difference between "cutting mortality" and "saving lives."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/191428

Mitu

JAIN DB

Postby JAIN DB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 am

Just got a mail from the Indian Editor of RD

"[color=#BF00BF]I understand your friend's concern, but this appeared only in the US edition in April. Not our Indian edition.

I don't run such articles unless I consult Indian doctors and groups like Ritu's beforehand, because there's a big difference as regards current medical wisdom in India and the US.

I'll forward the letter to the concerned editor in the US. Thanks for this heads-up.
[/color]
dad 68 Dx stage 4
mCRC 02/09
solitary met to lung
resection rectum 5/09
liver lung brain mets 5/10
cyberknife lung gammaknife brain
chemo xeloda/oxi/erbitux

AugustWest

Postby AugustWest » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:52 am

this is what caught my eye;

"As for colonoscopy: It allows the doctor to remove polyps, growths that can turn into cancer. The best estimates suggest that colonoscopy can cut the risk of death from colon cancer by as much as 60 percent. (We don't know for sure if it reduces the risk of death, because those studies haven't been done.)"

- proven fact that early detection saves lives - a colonoscopy is the tool for early detection -

"Sixty percent sounds great, until you realize that the chances of dying of colon cancer aren't all that big to start with. The average woman has a 2.1 percent risk of dying of colorectal cancer. (So of all the things that can kill her, this will be the culprit about 2.1 percent of the time.) The average man's risk is a little higher, about 2.3 percent. Knocking a 2.3 percent risk down by 60 percent means it drops to 0.9 percent -- a benefit, yes, but not necessarily big enough to outweigh all other considerations."

wtf?
serious?
does having someone in the US dx'd what, every 3 minutes (of every hour of every day of every month)
with CRC, "not necessarily big enough to outweigh all other considerations"

number 2 cause of cancer death in the US, Ms. Brownlee.
and since she likes numbers...what pray tell, are the odds of someone having a "harmful" colonoscopy
in relation to how many people have pre-cancerous polyps removed or have an stage 1 dx?
Stage IIIb CC - dx 8/07
4/26 nodes pos.
10 tx Oxaliplatin / 6 months Xeloda

RonH

Postby RonH » Wed May 06, 2009 9:48 am

I read this article while my wife was in pre-op preparation. I was horrified. This can only be a devious effort to find ways to lower cost now so that when they force natioanal healthcare on us taxes will not go up 80%. Just 50%.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”