The Final Four

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

The Final Four

Postby Edward » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:37 am

How about those Villanova Wildcat's over the weekend. I know this a colon cancer board, but maybe someone could use this as a diversion from their day-to-day battle. I was a freshman back at Villanova in 1985 when we came from a 8th seed to win it all.

I always think back to that month whenever someone says "it can't be done." I have some of my and friends post on my blog from the magical time. If your bored and are into March Madness take a peek.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

EBMJ

Re: The Final Four

Postby EBMJ » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:04 pm

I am a diehard Syracuse fan, unfortunately they laid an egg over the weekend and are out now. I find march Madness to be a very nice distraction from my cancer issues. I will be rooting for Villanova and Connecticut now, as I still have them alive in my office bracket contest. Cancer sucks.

Jim
51 year old male, DX: Stage IV CC with liver mets 07
Too many Surgeries
Too much chemo
Too much radiation
PM me if you want the details

Edward

Postby Edward » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Ed Pinckney, Gary McLain, Harold Pressley and Dwight Wilbur lived in my dorm. Ed and I are on the picture in my blog from a Villanova-Bucknell game in 2005.

The 'Cuse looked tired for some reason on Friday.
Livestrong,

Edward

AugustWest

Postby AugustWest » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Edward wrote: I was a freshman back at Villanova in 1985 when we came from a 8th seed to win it all.
I always think back to that month whenever someone says "it can't be done."

Quite possibly one of the best team efforts in college BB, ever! (Nova's '85 win)
Edward, I couldn't imagine what it would've been like as a 19 year old freshman
to have your school win it all, at those odds, and do it in the classy manner that ya'll did.

I'm a big Maryland fan and though the men's team did better than expected this year,
it's the Lady's Team, again!, who are doing so well deep into March. I love how this team
(The Lady Terps) roll. The coach is awesome, the players are all on the same page.
It's fun to watch.

and thanks Edward ~ it's really not a diversion, it's called Life.
Thanks for helping some folks get on with it 8)
Stage IIIb CC - dx 8/07
4/26 nodes pos.
10 tx Oxaliplatin / 6 months Xeloda

Edward

Postby Edward » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm

24 years later it is still hard to believe. Just to give you a little side story. Jay Wright played at Bucknell University. When Jay was growing up his next door neighbor got him involved in basketball.(They needed a body to round out the pick up games.)

In 2005, this neighbor now lived close to Bucknell, but not in the best of mobility and Villanova was in town to play the Bison. She needed arrangements for a wheelchair and all the things that go along with attending the game. Jay made sure she was at the game!!!

Ed Pinckney was coaching at Villanova at the time and thats where we had the photo op.
Livestrong,

Edward

Mary316

Postby Mary316 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

I am definitely interested in The Final Four!! GO SPARTANS!!!!!! Downtown Detroit will be hopping by next weekend, and there will definitely be seas of green and white! Looking forward to this weekend for sure. :D
Mary
Stage IIIc Feb. 2007 (31 years old)
Completed chemo Aug. 2007
43 year old mother to 16 & 14 year old boys

justsing

Postby justsing » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 pm

I was in high school in East Lansing the year they won it all -- Magic Johnson was taking a class from my mom. And it was PANDEMONIUM. So I've got a soft spot in my heart for MSU. But I've got no love for Villanova, and there is much sadness here in Pittsburgh. Definitely no joy in Mudville this weekend!

But WHAT A GAME!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

Edward

Postby Edward » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:35 am

Most of my father's side of the family moved from PA to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights area of Michigan. :)
Livestrong,

Edward

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 am

Oh come on, talk about miracles. I used to live in North Dakota and I always get excited whenever they are on TV (Even if their sandbagging (it gives me a chace to see some of my friends)).

But the fact that NDSU - in their first year of eligibility in D 1, were able to even make it to March Madness, is simply amazing and astounding.

I went to UND, and they've won D 1 Hockey many times.

Come on, it's ND. The entire state has around 600,000 people.. That's amazing...
cptmac
As long as you're alive, there is hope.
dx 7/04 stage IV
colon resection 8/04
liver resection 9/04 with HAI pump installed
Stage II trial w irinotecan as systemic and FUDR for direct chemo to liver via HAI pump
Cured since 9/04

GO BLUE Girl

Postby GO BLUE Girl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:10 pm

GO SPARTIES!!!!!!!! GO MSU!!!!!!!!

Suze

Postby Suze » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm out here in Portland Oregon, and we were totally stoked that our PSU (that's Portland State Uni., not Penn State) Vikings were in the tournament for the second year in a row. OK, so we were seeded 13th, up from 16th last year, and quickly knocked out. But it is great to run with the big dogs, even if only for a short while. My husband participates on a UM (Go Blue!) forum, and let me tell you, passions run high. We are only dealing with life and death here, they are dealing with Michigan Football! It gets intense. Susan
Dx 5/07 Stage IV 59 y/o
6 mos Folfox, Avas., erb.
Surg. for colon, liver mets 1/08
Folfox & Avas. 2/08-8/08
Liver met 10/09, Iri 11/09 - 7/10
SBRT 4/10, 12/10
30-40 lung mets 4/11
Irin./erbitux 5/11-8/11
xeloda/avastin 8/11-2/12
xeloda/erb 2/12/-4/12

kevsfrannie

Postby kevsfrannie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Funny to see this topic today:
I just came back from two "new patient" appointments at UNC this AM. It happened that, as I left the UNC clinics, I was feeling great about the new team of doctors and professionals my wife and I had just met. I mused, "I'm proud to have my medical care entrusted to these "big league" professionals at UNC. This place is the "real deal." Great staff, great facilities -- and gee, the Tarheels are in the FInal Four again!"

I realize this was an odd train of thought, but at least it seems to fit here.

Not much left to say but, "Go UNC Tarheels!"
We and the President are both counting on you... :)

~~ Frank ~~
Frank in NC, 53 y.o.
JPouch since 09/09 - proctocolectomy for MYH-associated FAP.

janb

Postby janb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:57 am

UCONN is only 20 minutes from my home sooooooooo GO UCONN. Several times over the years people stand over the bridges of I-84 when they arrive from a winning championship and wave, cheer and make it a typical fan day. I live off the exit they take to go back to campus. It's fun.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Edward

Postby Edward » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 am

The stars and moon are aligned for Villanova this year. When we won the National Championship in 1985. Easter was on the following Sunday. Well, this Sunday is also Palm Sunday. Although the biggest holiday in the Christian Calendar, Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of spring.

To relay a funny story, April 2nd, 24 years ago I looked like one the recruits in the Bill Murray movie "Stripes" after a long night of mud wrestling. Kind of like Judge Reinhold with the shirt "Death before Disco". At age 43, I may have to show some restraint if the impossible happens!!!!! :D

We are a Catholic school and were scheduled to have off on Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Monday. They told us to go home Tuesday morning due to the campus being covered in toilet paper. Fresh rolls were going for $10 a roll the next morning!!!!!!
Livestrong,

Edward

Mary316

Postby Mary316 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Way to go Spartans!!!!! On to the championship game!!!!
Mary
Stage IIIc Feb. 2007 (31 years old)
Completed chemo Aug. 2007
43 year old mother to 16 & 14 year old boys

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”