Any treatment for neuropathy?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jackhenrymorgan

Any treatment for neuropathy?

Postby jackhenrymorgan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:06 am

My partner is going through chemotherapy for a recurrence of colon cancer, spread to the liver. She is taking Avastin, oxaliplatin and 5FU and leucovorin. Most of her side effects are under control, but she is experienced severe neuropathy -- sensitivity to cold, tingling in her hands and feet, pain in her jaw and esophasgus, etc. We've been told that there are some drugs that may help, but that they tend to cause nausea -- which she already has and controls with drugs and would prefer not to aggravate.

Anyone have any good ideas about things that may help her?

Thank you.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:51 am

I can only tell you what works for me. I bought 3 pound weights
and do lifts several times a day. It won't get rid of it completely
but it made a huge difference. I just started using ankle weights
to build some strenght in the legs also. Ask the oncologist if it is
ok to take vitamin B6 which also helps.
Good luck,
Carol

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:42 am

Do as the above post said. My Oncologist was the one who discovered B6 to help this problem. He has a report in the Journal of Medicine. It was for the neuropathy, not the numbies from Chemo, but he said it works for both. He told me the other day to only take 50 to 100 milligrams a day though!!! If you take more, it will make it worse or if someone is taking B6 just as a supplement without this numbness problem already, it will make them have it! He said it helps some but not all so give it a try. A lot of Oncologists have been suggesting it during Chemo for Colon Cancer and seems to be helping many. I didn't take any but have been since I got off my Chemo and it seems to help. I notice a difference when I miss a day for sure. All I can say is keep watching replies from your post because the people who go through it have the best help sometimes. LOL Even better than some of the doctors!! :roll: Hang in there!!

Peg

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:57 pm

i few years ago when i started with oxylaplatin my neoropathy was very severe. i was told there was nothing to do for it . now, at the hospital i'm at now, they drip a bag of a magnesium and calcium into me before and after the chemo drugs. i still have neoupathy problems, but i would say they have been cut down by about 70 percent. i was amazed at how well it works. i think it is a relatively new treatment idea.
Jenny Fish

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:19 pm

I was given magnesium and calcium during chemotherapy and since have been taking B6. Talk to your partners physician and he/or she can advise you medically.

Know that there is hope. After I discontinued chemotherapy, my neuropathies subsided in about 79 days. Keep smiling and a snuggly warm pair of mittens this winter will be priceless!

ASTEPHENS33

Another Possibility

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:04 am

I can't vouch for this advise one way or the other. A friend who has AIDS and suggested the following for neuropathy in general. He said he was told that it helps actually in nerve regeneration. Its expensive.

actyl-1-carmitine 500mg, 3 capsules, twice daily - Said Jarrow was the best manufacturer. You need to take with alpha lipoic acid

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”