Aspirin and Calcium reduce polyp growth......

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
margotmagoo

Aspirin and Calcium reduce polyp growth......

Postby margotmagoo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:14 pm

My onco told me that there have been studies that prove calcium and low doses of aspirin have reduced the growth of colon polyps. He advised me to take calcium supplements and baby aspirin every day (I am post-treatment and took no supplements during treatment). Has anyone else received this info from their docs??

popcornkel

aspirin and calcium

Postby popcornkel » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:47 pm

My surgery gave me a pamphlet that said the same thing. I'm not sure how much preventative it does, but I figure as a premenopausal woman, the calcium is needed anyway. And baby aspirin is such a low dose and has other health benefits.

If anyone has a link on research, I would love to see it.

Kelley
Stage IIB Colon Cancer, dx 12/05, finished FOLFOX July 2006
Ewing's Sarcoma survivor since July 1990!
"Don't Waste Your Cancer"
http://www.desiringgod.com/library/fres ... 21506.html

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Thank you, Kelley. Looks like we were diagnosed and went through treatment at the same time. I also finished in July. How are you feeling? Are you having any trouble with neuropathy? My fingers and feet are still numb. I know that calcium and magnesium are supposed to help with that as well.
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:51 pm

There is definitely research to support using calcium and asprin to prevent regrowth of polyps.

An important question to ask when thinking about taking stuff you aren't sure of is "can it hurt me?" Mark Pochapin's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Colorectal Cancer" has a great chapter about potential preventatives.

Mostly, what is so important to think about is that taking a daily dose of calcium will not harm you otherwise. Asprin is okay for a lot of people, but can be bad for some (especially some with GI problems!) - so just check wtih your doctor before taking it. If it's not going to hurt you, why not?

Meanwhile, I will look for links to the studies that support these specific things - and I am working on a post that summarizes possible prevenive measures that people can take. There are more and more that are being studied.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”