MEIGHAN.....Thinking of you......

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
margotmagoo

MEIGHAN.....Thinking of you......

Postby margotmagoo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:13 am

Your husband must be just finishing his last treatment right about now. I really hope that you all are making it through with flying colors. It will be nice for your family to enjoy the holidays without the effects of treatment. Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you!

meighan

Postby meighan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:53 pm

Thank you soooooo very much for thinking of us today.....yes he just got hooked up to treatment 12 so by friday or as he reminds me a couple days after we can celebrate the end of folfox6 :D He also had a clear CAT scan last week so we are feeling light hearted for the first time since this has all started........... what a roller coaster ride some days you feel so blessed and alive and others bring you right back to the day of diagnosis.......luckily the good days are becoming more and more frequent.

As we leave chemo behind i was wondering about how to keep this beast away, i have looked into such things as essiac tea and tumeric but i have also found myself wondering about the breast cancer drug out there that survivors take for 5 years, my oncologist says there is one coming for colon cancer can any of you shed some light on this???? I don't mean to come off like i am not going to enjoy our good fortune because truly we are feeling very blessed and are going to celebrate the holidays in a big way..........I just can't live with myself if there is something i should be doing for him and just didn't ask.......

lastly i carry so many of you in my heart I check this board daily and you are all truly such a part of me and my new routine i get such great information, advise and sympathy here.

Jeni

Postby Jeni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:54 am

Meighan, if you find out anything about this drug or something like, like a preventative, let us all know.

Anyone out there know anything about this ?

These drugs have made a huge survival difference in breast cancer survivors. It would be nice if we were making the same strides.

Best to you and your husband -

Jeni

Jeni

Postby Jeni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:55 am

Meighan, if you find out anything about this drug or something like, like a preventative, let us all know.

Anyone out there know anything about this ?

These drugs have made a huge survival difference in breast cancer survivors. It would be nice if we were making the same strides.

Best to you and your husband -

Jeni

popcornkel

essiac tea

Postby popcornkel » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Meighan,

I don't know about tumeric, but be very careful about essiac tea. A homeopath recommended I take that, but I investigated it first. There are websites that will sell their special formula of it, but also many others that talk about its dangers. "Essiac" sounds like an herb right? But it is the last name spelled backwards of a woman who sold it as a miracle cure. I looked in my herbs and medications reference book and some of the herbs are very dangerous. They may also interact and cause problems with other meds or other herbs.

Kelley
Stage IIB Colon Cancer, dx 12/05, finished FOLFOX July 2006
Ewing's Sarcoma survivor since July 1990!
"Don't Waste Your Cancer"
http://www.desiringgod.com/library/fres ... 21506.html

popcornkel

essiac tea

Meighan,

I don't know about tumeric, but be very careful about essiac tea. A homeopath recommended I take that, but I investigated it first. There are websites that will sell their special formula of it, but also many others that talk about its dangers. "Essiac" sounds like an herb right? But it is the last name spelled backwards of a woman who sold it as a miracle cure. I looked in my herbs and medications reference book and some of the herbs are very dangerous. They may also interact and cause problems with other meds or other herbs.

Kelley

popcornkel

essiac tea

Meighan,

Kelley

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:45 pm

Popcorn has a great point. Beware of miracle cures and herbal remedies. Most of them will raise hopes while costing you a lot of money. Common sense is best - healthy diet, moderate exercise and a positive attitude are the three most likely ways to keep the beast at bay. There does seem to be some scientific evidence that keeping your diet low in animal fat / animal protein will prevent cancer and cancer growth. Having said that, it may be difficult for some people to maintain a healthy diet without animal protien. All things in moderation!

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:27 pm

Meighan, Kelley, Lifes2short, and Jeni,
I have heard of tumeric being good for the colon....just like lycopene. Tumeric can be found in curry and also in yellow mustard. Green tea is also a good addition as well as flax (omega-3), acidophilus, and pectin. Check out this great link www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040300.asp which talks about the "anti-cancer diet". Or just go to askdrsears.com and search the anti-cancer diet. There is a lot of great info. Most of the info corresponds to what my onco recommends. The only thing I am not sure about is soy. My onco told me not to have soy. He said that there is a link between soy and breast cancer in caucasion women. Of course, this would not affect your husband, Meighan. If anyone has any input on soy, I would love to hear it.
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”