Mind/body cures: Know any good mental imagery tapes?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
janelle

Mind/body cures: Know any good mental imagery tapes?

Postby janelle » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:02 am

Hi all, and bless you for having this site. My mom, an athletic 65, got diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer after sudden colectomy 20 days ago. She started chemo today (5FU + Oxilaplatin). 8/8 lymph nodes were positive, but there's no sign of the cancer in liver or lungs. Hers is the signet ring type -- very aggressive.

I have heard that the mind/body connection can be powerful in healing. Can anyone recommend any good tapes she could listen to help her take on a positive, strong attitude and get her mind helping knock this cancer out? This has all been so sudden that she is terrified. She has tons of swelling from abdominal lymph nodes full of cancer, so is very uncomfy and can't sleep well. The nodes are pushing on her belly, so she feels very full after eating just a few bites, so I think she may be starving. She was devastated to hear that the chemo might not help shrink the nodes for 6-8 weeks. She's too wiped to read, so I think tapes would be better.

Any advice is much appreciated. I've also been reading your input on the chemo and side effects and find it very helpful. Thank you!!!!

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:29 am

Hi Janelle, sorry to hear about your mom. I have a Heal your body by using the power of your mind by Glenn Harrold cd. I'll do what i can to try and find the cd. I downloaded onto my ipod, so dont normally use it. If i can find it i will send it to you. Im in Birmingham so the postage wont be a problem..

Take care
Nick

janelle

Thanks!

Postby janelle » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:03 pm

Thanks. I will check out Glenn Harold and maybe order the CDs for my mom. Despite the email address, I'm in Calif and my Mom is in Texas.

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:08 pm

Hi, I don't really have any suggestions for you, but I wanted to wish your mother well. I, too, had signet ring, but I was fortunate enough to catch it really early (stage I). Good luck fighting the beast!!!
Maggie

sue kidera

sue

Postby sue kidera » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:47 am

http://www.wellbaskets.com/hebena.html

I loved these. They are created for people with cancer. I especially liked the "affirmations"

Good luck I hope they help
Sue

Pollyanna

Mind/Body Cures

Postby Pollyanna » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:59 pm

Just prior to my surgery in August, my chiropracter lent me a tape called "Getting Ready" by Dr. Bernie Segal. It's in sections - getting ready for surgery, getting ready for radiation, getting ready for chemotherapy.

I listened to this tape every day, and I'm not sure if it was the calm way Dr. Segal talked, or the comforting timbre of his voice, but I would always fall asleep part way through. Something must have gotten lodged in my brain subliminally, because my surgery went very smoothly, with little bleeding and no post op complications.

I've since got some other healing cd's of his; he never fails to disappoint, and now it's like having an old friend talk to me.

I know you said your mom was too tired to read, but there's a book I received, "Surviving Cancer", by Margie Levine, that breaks things down into little, digestible (no pun intended!) chapters. She's a real inspiration, and has lots of great ideas, so even if you readit, you could see what might apply to your mom or not.

Take good care of yourself - there are many people around you who love and adore you. Some you might not even know.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”