Joint pain

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Joint pain

Postby Magnolia » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:43 pm

Has anyone else been having joint pain? It was listed as a possible side effect of chemo in my protocol, and I noticed it after my last two treatments. I'm always a bit arthritic, but this is worse, and it isn't getting any better now that the treatments have stopped. I know it hasn't been that long, but the neuropathy has already started to improve a bit. I'm OK with waiting for improvement, but I'd be interested to know if others have had the same experience. I don't see my doc for another month.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:39 am

I have had joint pain but only when I go for walks or stand on my feet for long periods of time. I have been off the Chemo now for 13 months and the neuropathy has pretty much gone from my fingers as has the swelling in my fingers too. The neuropathy in my feet is still there and the top of my feet cramp really bad if I stand a lot or walk farther than one mile at a time. Just had my sceduled 3 month Oncologist visit yesterday and he said it WOULD go away but it takes a long time for nerve endings to heal. Was to continue to take no more than 100 mg of B6 a day...no more than a total of 150 a day including Vitamins and B12. He also said to add Calcium and eat more potassium which would help the cramping. I just told him that the neuropathy was much better than it had been so could live with it if I was still cancer free!! THAT is the good news for the day....he said I was doing GREAT!!! 21 months cancer free now...whew! LOL It will be a bit scary going in January as it will be the big 2 year. If still cancer free, I will only be going once every 6 months then. Looking forward to it in one way and a bit scary in another!!

Peg

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:24 am

Peg, I know what you mean about the survivor phase being scary. Nothing to focus on but watching and waiting. (and of course, living) I get pain when I first get up after sitting for a while, then if I walk for a long time. If I'm on my feet all day working or shopping I start to feel it really badly. My internist mentioned potassium when I had neuropathy for another reason in the past. And I've been taking B6 all along. A friend who is a nutritionist said that B vitamins should always be taken in combination, so I take a B complex with it, and a multivitmin. I also get some with my Omega 3 suppliment, so I don't take much B6 by itself. My neuropathy is getting a lot better. No more pricklies and the numbness is only in the tips of my fingers. And I've only been off chemo three weeks! I just creak all over. I feel better today. Maybe the weather affects it some. Today is a beautiful Halloween day. Unseasonably warm and clear. Maybe I'll be OK to take the wee one out trick or treating. I plan to do it whether I feel like it or not.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:27 am

So is this joint pain considered part of the neuropathy, or is it something different?

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:39 pm

My Oncologist told me it is all part of the side effects of the Oxilaplatin. He says it will probably go away in time as well. Boy, I hope he is right! LOL By the time is goes away, I will be getting to the age where it will just BE OLD AGE!! LOL LOL Oh well, I am ALIVE and that is all that matters to me...the rest I can handle!

Peg

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:17 am

I'm already old. One concern I have is that muscle aches can be a serious side effect of another medication I'm on, a statin, for high cholesterol. This pain seems to be getting worse since chemo stopped. I think I need to call my doc.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”