New member / words of hope

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks for the supportive words, Margot. This board is great - lots of survivors with words of hope and lots of people who are similar to me in terms of age and diagnosis. It's so nice to have support from people who truly know what I'm going through.

I agree that it's wonderful to have a good surgeon. My rectal surgeon was top notch. He's the one who first diagnosed me after four months of being turned away by my internist and gynocologist. He listened and found the cancer immediately. He was honest and very kind. Within a week he had me lined up for radiation and chemo and ready to start treatment as soon as the new year started. I trusted him completely to operate on me - that is so good for the phsyche. Unfortunately, the liver metatstasis was outside his scope of knowledge and so he pretty much handed me back to my oncologist.

I feel blessed to have found my new surgeon. He's very kind and open and honest. I have let my rectal surgeon know about him in hopes that the next person like me will get better and faster advice. Knowledge is a very powerful thing. These days it seems my job to spread it around whenever possible - if I can help even one person it is worth it!

janelle

strong women

Postby janelle » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:17 pm

It's truly amazing to see all of you women with kids fighting this disease for all you're worth, and winning. I'm sure you are giving hope to lots of others out there. I'm your age, with 2 little girls myself, and applauding all of you like crazy for summoning that inner strength to pull yourselves together and determine to beat this thing. How cool would it be to see you fabulous women speaking on some panel at a national meeting of colon cancer survivors? I bet you'll do that someday (or at least get on Oprah).

Thanks for all your helpful advice on my mom. She seems to be in better spirits, even if she's still weak and suffering from lots of nasty side effects of cancer and now chemo. She says she feels confident she's going to pull through this, but just frustrated at how long it's taking to get her strength back. I bought the books and CD you recommended (but had them sent to me so I can hold them until she's ready to read/listen). Thanks again!

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Lifes2Short,

Thanks for the personal message that you sent me about your surgeon. I appreciated that. I am having a break from the Erbitux/Camptosar now. My Onc. wants to start me on Vectibrix in about 3 weeks. My PET/CT didn't really show any changes. Just one small spot in the lungs and 1 lymph node in the abdomen. I really appreciate all the positive chat at this sight. It helps me keep on fighting the good fight!

Sincerely,
Miss Kim

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”