non-cancerous dead colon

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
johntoomey

non-cancerous dead colon

Postby johntoomey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:23 pm

I would like information about non-cancerous dead colon and treatm,ents available for this condition(acute)

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:21 am

Hi John,

Sorry, I'm not exaclty sure what you are asking but I will take a shot at it!

Are you talking about a colon that has quit functioning in the normal way? This would be a colon that isn't having the normal muscle contractions, which causes chronic constipation. If this happens in the extreme, it is known as colonic inertia, which is usually found in older debilitated patients and women, but can be found in younger active people and men as well.

There are lots of possible causes of this severe constipation: Are you on any painkillers, especially opiates? Do you exercise regularly? Do you now or have you used laxatives or enemas on a regular basis in the past? Are you aware of any muscle loss in either the colon, anus or pelvic floor? Have you been checked for underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) and high levels of calcium?

Depending on the situation and probable cause, there are things that you can try to do to make this better. If you do not know the cause, you should probably get a colonoscopy before taking any other steps.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”