Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
shylo

Postby shylo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi my name is shylo. I had surgery (removal of colon and rectum) 3 weeks ago and am learning to live with an ostomy. I am very lucky to not have cancer. I had 1000 polyps in my colon and none were cancerous. I am 26 years old and just found this website today. I thought I would see if it helps. I've never talked to any who has had an ostomy. Would anyone mind me asking them some questions?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:47 am

I don't have an ostomy, but there are many here who do. Look at cynnyca's thread. She'll show you pictures. Sounds like you have familial polyposis. Are others in your family being tested for it? This is a great place to find others who have colon issues to discuss. Nobody here is shy about the old poop chute. When you get a chance google the colossal colon. It's great.

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi Shylo,

I had my ostomy for a year. A wesite with a discussion board such as this one that I found real helpful is the United Ostomy Association of America - www.uoaa.org

The have a general discussion area, plus a discussion area for young adults with ostomies. You sill find that people have ostomies for various reasons - not just from cancer. Good luck!

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi Shylo,

Sure you can ask questions. Thats why were here, to help each other.

Ive had an ileostomy for about three years now. I had ulcerative colitis which lead to colon cancer. I happen to love my ostomy because it gave me my health back and allows me the freedom I lacked with UC.

Go to the UOAA web site and check out the discussion board. It`s a great place to learn all about ostomy management. It takes some trial and error to find the best pouching system but keep at it, it gets easier with time. Send away for free samples from the manufacturers and try em.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Bob Baker

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”