area around port irritated any suggestions?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
missjv

area around port irritated any suggestions?

Postby missjv » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:14 am

hi, i have had port in since june with no problems now all of a sudden in the past few days the area is very red and irritated and sort of sore but not painful. i was thinking of just having it removed when im under for liver resection and then taking xeloda i hear it is the same as 5 fu any suggestions? or will i jinx myself by taking port out? i have had 7 chemos through it so far.

missjv

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:50 am

Talk to your surgeon and have him/her look at it. There may be a problem with it. I'd love to have mine taken out, but I'm not sure. If yours is irritated, I'd definately get it looked at, though.

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:11 am

Call your surgeon or oncologist and have them take a look at it. I had to have my removed a few weeks ago because it was infected. They will take blood cultures from your port and then from your arm. This is serious so please make the call today!! (Do you have a fever?)

Good luck!

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:43 am

hi,
no fever but i just was unplugged from my pump and when they stuck needle in a piece of cotton was stuck between my skin and needle in port so that is what the irritation was from now it is not so red pump has been out for an hour im just mad my port area was contaminated when needle was put in, my usual chemo nurse is on vacation and one i had never seen before was on duty tuesday when i went for chemo. thanks guys for the advice, also i am still thinking of the xeloda and having port removed. i will have hepatic artery pump soon i don't want 2 foreign objects under my skin!!!

missjv

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:22 am

Since starting chemo, I have reacted to "adhesives" Bandaids, tape etc. Do you use an Emla patch before the needles? I usually end up with a red patch that mirrors the Emla patch and use an Aveeno cream to stop the itching.

Food for thought, but and infection at the port can be really serious and create blood clots, so it is worth going in and getting it checked. You are doing so well, there is no point taking any risks now.

Sharon

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:42 am

My skin is tempermental. I never used Emla, but I get red sometimes under the Tegaderm. I react to Bandaids too sometimes. I'm such a fragile little flower!!! LOL!!

Seriously, If this lookis like any more than a mild skin irretation, or even if that's all it is, have it checked. A port is a big deal. It runs right into your central circulatory system. An infection can be very serious.

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:54 am

hi guys,
well had area of port checked and it was a reaction to the cotton that was stuck to the needle when they accessed my port which pissed me off that the nurse did not see the cotton and if it would have gotten stuck then i could have gotten a nasty infection but all is well now thanks for the replies now im dealing with a nosebleed i sure will be glad when all my treatments and surgeries are done this stuff is making me crazy also making me very moody.

missjv

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”