How to say thanks

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
northern lights

How to say thanks

Postby northern lights » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:08 am

I have just ended my treatment and I have worked with some great treatment teams (Chemo nurses, surgery dept, homecare and Oncology). I live in a very small community and always have the same caretakers. I want to say thanks to them.

Can some of you share ways you said thanks?

Sharon

tandys24

saying thanks

Postby tandys24 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:11 pm

I am on my 4th treatment this Monday then 6 more to go! I am already trying to think of ways to say thank you to my nurses and doctor for all they have done for me. I was thinking of making gift baskets each one different to fit the person I am giving it too. My doctor i have found in a great christian store a beautiful box,pen, and card set with a great poem about doctor on it. They also have some good things for nurses too. I was thinking of baking some homemade cookies ect.
congrats again for clean scan and finishing treatment!
God Bless, ALWAYS Believe!
Lisa

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:14 am

I had my last visit with my surgeon the day before my wife, our dogs and I left Florida. I thanked my doctor for the marvelous job he did, then I stopped at the hospital I was in(right around the corner) and went to the floor I was on. I only found one nurse that I remembered, but I just had to stop and say thanks. It made me feel very good and more like I was really on my way to a full and complete recovery.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:17 pm

Hi,

I find a nice, heartfelt, hand written thank you note goes a long way. In fact, I wrote one to my surgeon and he actually wrote me a note back that I received yesterday. He wrote: Thank you for your kind note. It is greatly appreciated. It has been a pleasure for me to care for you and to work both with you and 'your husband' over the last year through this whole process. I am glad that you are doing so well. There were some scary times, but I know that there are good times to come. Thanks again for thinking of me and sending me your kind note. I will be seeing you soon. Sincerely yours,

I can tell that he really appreciated the note.

Also, on my son's last day in the hospital (after 60 days in the NICU) we made a basket filled with Yankee candle votives. We put a card with it that said, Thank you for lighting up my life with a picture of our son at admission (2 and a half pounds!) and at discharge (6 and a half pounds). The nurses liked the candles.

Good luck!
Cats

Holly

Postby Holly » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:38 pm

edited hpr. 11/1/06
Last edited by Holly on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mags1161

Postby mags1161 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:18 pm

After I got out of the hospital, a few months later my mom went to the same doctor and had laproscopic colon surgery for diverticulitis, so I had the opportunity to see my favorite nurse on the floor I was on. She was really tough, but I adored her none the less. I brought a super cool mug with candy in it to thank her. Also, one of my surgeons really took to my family and we even invited her to come down (an hour away) to our house for a BBQ and she did. She left the Cleveland Clinic not too long after that, but for the first year, she sent us letters and cards and we did the same. It was really cool to make a new friend from the whole experience.
But I do think a genuine heartfelt thank you or a thank you card is very effective. Sometimes I think we expect and expect out of our doctors and staff but never take the time to thank them when they come through for us! So I am sure they appreciate any sentiment!!!
Maggie

Joy

Postby Joy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:53 pm

Sharon:

I gave the oncology department staff a gift certificate to a local "gourmet" restaurant for either eat in or take out lunch. They were soo excited because they usually eat at the hospital cafeteria. My home care nurse (she is a funny, upbeat lady)was really easy to buy for as she collects "socks" - I bought her lots of really neat designs and novelty socks :)

I will give my oncology Doc a card of thanks when I see her for my final check-up.

I can never thank these people enough ---- they were wonderful to me!!

Three cheer for the Eastern Ontario Cancer Unit, Kingston General Hospital, Ontario, Canada....they are "Angels of Mercy"...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”